Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WR James Jones still available
Caught 73 passes for the Raiders last year and over the last three years he has averaged 65 receptions for 756 yards and 8 tds.

Still just 31 years old.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 01:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Caught 73 passes for the Raiders last year and over the last three years he has averaged 65 receptions for 756 yards and 8 tds.

Still just 31 years old.

Jones looked pretty mediocre last year, and he had a career high amount of targets.

Maybe he was just a product of the GB system and/or Aaron Rodgers.

I wouldn't write him off completely, but I don't know what he would bring to the table except for dropping less passes than Sanu.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 01:47 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Jones looked pretty mediocre last year, and he had a career high amount of targets.

Maybe he was just a product of the GB system and/or Aaron Rodgers.

I wouldn't write him off completely, but I don't know what he would bring to the table except for dropping less passes than Sanu.

I'd say that's a pretty on point comparison right now...he's older Sanu without the drops.
Reply/Quote
I am not claiming he is great. I am just suggesting that he is the best option available right now.
Reply/Quote
In Oakland he failed as the number 1. But we need a number 4 and he's a legit option (should be).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think people are way over estimating what a #4 on most teams look like...
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 02:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not claiming he is great.  I am just suggesting that he is the best option available right now.

If he's the best option, I'm cool with rolling with what we have for now.

(07-30-2015, 02:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think people are way over estimating what a #4 on most teams look like...

Well, it depends. Jones is basically Sanu. We already have him on the team. We could use a burner or a Hawkins type at 4, not another Sanu.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 03:01 PM)djs7685 Wrote: If he's the best option, I'm cool with rolling with what we have for now.

Well, it depends. Jones is basically Sanu. We already have him on the team. We could use a burner or a Hawkins type at 4, not another Sanu.

It feels too much like Tate will stick to the roster.

I expect the WRs now to be...
Green, Jones, Sanu, Moore, Tate, Alford/McCalebb/Reese

Too many people are writing off Moore as a legit WR4 because he hasn't adapted very well in voluntary workouts without pads on.

Going with the above 6 wouldn't be terrible. It's just that most do not want to see Tate on the roster at all.

I'd expect a bigger push to bring in a competent vet if there's an impactful WR injury in TC.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 02:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: In Oakland he failed as the number 1. But we need a number 4 and he's a legit option (should be).

Saying he failed, might be stretching. He went from Aaron "The best QB in the NFL" Rodgers to a rookie Derek Carr. I like Derek Carr and think he'll do well, but his drop in production is understandable. 

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 03:30 PM)Bryan Wrote: Saying he failed, might be stretching. He went from Aaron "The best QB in the NFL" Rodgers to a rookie Derek Carr. I like Derek Carr and think he'll do well, but his drop in production is understandable. 

Also, he wasn't even supposed to be the #1. Wasn't Rob Streeter the guy until he got hurt? 

Jones would be an awful #1 and a bad #2, but as veteran depth, he could be decent. I'm surprised he hasn't been signed yet. No one on that Raiders offense was going to look good.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 02:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think people are way over estimating what a #4 on most teams look like...

Broncos- Cody Latimer - 2nd round pick last year
Steelers- Sammie Coates - 3rd round pick last year
Browns- Taylor Gabriel - 621 yards last year
Ravens- Michael Campanaro 
Cards- Jaron Brown - 229 yards last year
Falcons- Leonard Hankerson - 14 starts in 4 seasons, 1081 career yards
Bills- Chris Hogan - 426 yards last year
Panthers- Ted Ginn - 40 starts in 8 seasons, 2794 career yards
Bears- Marc Mariani
Cowboys- Cole Beasley - 5 starts in 3 seasons, 916 career yards
Lions- Jeremy Ross - 314 yards last year
Packers- Jared Abbrederis - 5th round pick last year
Texans- Jaelen Strong - 3rd round pick this year
Colts- Philip Dorsett - 1st round pick this year
Vikings- Cordarelle Patterson - 1st round pick in 2013, 853 yards in 2 seasons

That's a pretty good picture of the rest of the league. Some have great depth, some not so much. Denarius Moore looks like a decent #4 on paper, but it's disappointing that we haven't heard anything good about him yet. If he were impressing, I don't think Hue would be talking about adding more WR's.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 04:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's a pretty good picture of the rest of the league. Some have great depth, some not so much. Denarius Moore looks like a decent #4 on paper, but it's disappointing that we haven't heard anything good about him yet. If he were impressing, I don't think Hue would be talking about adding more WR's.

Yeah, it does make you wonder why they're looking at all of these WRs, hopefully it has more to do with the bottom of the roster guys and not Moore.

On your list, there obviously aren't any All-Pro players, but how many of those guys are almost identical to the team's current #3?

Jones would probably be the slot receiver here, but is he so much better than Sanu that it would be worth having him in, learning the playbook, and keeping a gadget guy off the field? I don't know, personally I don't think so.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 04:20 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Yeah, it does make you wonder why they're looking at all of these WRs, hopefully it has more to do with the bottom of the roster guys and not Moore.

On your list, there obviously aren't any All-Pro players, but how many of those guys are almost identical to the team's current #3?

Jones would probably be the slot receiver here, but is he so much better than Sanu that it would be worth having him in, learning the playbook, and keeping a gadget guy off the field? I don't know, personally I don't think so.

I'd take Jones over Tate any day, if they can get Alford to take his place as a returner. If Jones could earn time over Sanu or Moore, then so be it. We could still throw Sanu in for some snaps and his usual trick play or three.

That said, Jones isn't so good that I'd lose sleep if we don't sign him. As others have said, he's very similar to Sanu in size and skill set. So he really wouldn't bring anything new to the table.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Looks like we offered Jones but he chose to sign with the Giants. He also had offers from the Eagles, Chiefs and Seahawks. This is via Ian Rapoport.
[Image: Bch_OOih_CIAARIjw_jpg_large.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 02:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: In Oakland he failed as the number 1. But we need a number 4 and he's a legit option (should be).

Hmm, he can battle it out with Moore to be the failed Oakland #1 to be our #4!  Exciting.
Reply/Quote