Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
WR Mike Thomas Signed
(03-21-2020, 08:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Basically.

Core turned into a pretty good ST player but it still didn't stop the hammer from coming down on him.   The coach I have the most faith in is Simmons.  He will always find the guys he needs.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Basically.

Comparing Thomas to Core is fair.  Core was a disappointment so I hope Thomas has a breakout year and helps the Bengals.  Thomas is one of those WR that makes unbelievable catches and does have some drops like "whatever" said earlier.  But I feel this guy will be like Tate and exceed expectations with an opportunity for a bigger second NFL contract.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 01:26 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: The guy has made the Rams roster for his first 4 yrs. A better roster than the Bengals; and, he has been the 5th WR for them behind good WR's there. And, he's played good ST's.
The Bengals need to replace Fej as he was a core ST's guy.
Taylor knows this guy, coached him, and knows his value on ST's and WR; and, knew he could challenge for the 4th, 5th WR position.

The bottom line is the Bengals got better today with a replacement for Fej and competition in the WR room. Plain and simple.

That's it right there. Fej and McRae replacement with a chance to be more. I liked him coming out of college and I'm not sure why he fell. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 02:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The only reason I loved the pickup is because I liked this guy in college. He was a very good prospect that I researched.

Some guy on here thought he was The Michael Thomas ffs!

I didn’t think he was michael Thomas of the Saints I just didn’t know where that guy went to college as I’m not a OSU fan and they were both drafted in ‘16. Since the guy has all of 10 catches I went back to look at a draft profile and stopped at the first M Thomas I saw on the list lol
Reply/Quote
Probably better than the 2 UDFA players they had to start last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:16 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I didn’t think he was michael Thomas of the Saints I just didn’t know where that guy went to college as I’m not a OSU fan and they were both drafted in ‘16. Since the guy has all of 10 catches I went back to look at a draft profile and stopped at the first M Thomas I saw on the list lol

Okay, this Mike Thomas came from Southern Mississippi.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hate that we lost Fej...he was "my guy".  I guess I will need a new one to be overly excited about....When he stripped that ball against the Colts and returned for a TD.  Dude won the first game of the season, IMHO.  I will miss Fej and how announcers butcher his name probably more than Houshmanzadeh.  

Hate to disappoint you but how many announcers are going to mispronounce Mike Thomas?

(03-21-2020, 12:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He'll compete with Stanley Morgan and Damion Willis for last WR spot most likely.
With both Phillips and Wilson available for return duties, I could also see Erickson gone if the Bengals draft a WR.

I was thinking along the same lines. I like Erickson but thought he had a somewhat disappointing year last year and failed to take the opportunities he got. Maybe he has enough goodwill from his Specials Teams work with newly promoted Assistant Head Coach to hang on but they are almost certainly going to draft a WR and he's at the bottom of the roster where they want to get younger and quicker. He'll have a battle on his hands as the likes of Willis, Morgan and whoever they draft will have the allure of untapped potential whereas we know what Erickson is now.

He's a cap saving of $1.8m with $166,668 in dead money.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 07:42 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Hate to disappoint you but how many announcers are going to mispronounce Mike Thomas?

I was thinking along the same lines. I like Erickson but thought he had a somewhat disappointing year last year and failed to take the opportunities he got. Maybe he has enough goodwill from his Specials Teams work with newly promoted Assistant Head Coach to hang on but they are almost certainly going to draft a WR and he's at the bottom of the roster where they want to get younger and quicker. He'll have a battle on his hands as the likes of Willis, Morgan and whoever they draft will have the allure of untapped potential whereas we know what Erickson is now.

He's a cap saving of $1.8m with $166,668 in dead money.

Yep.
Erickson was actually decent last year stepping in for injured WRs. He put up 529 yards.
However, he's a slot receiver and the Bengals already have Boyd and Ross who can play slot.
Some might think to just get rid of John Ross and keep Erickson, but Ross put up 506 yds and 3 TDs in just 8 games where Erickson was available for all 16 games.
Plus, as you said, Erickson would return a cap savings of $1.6 mill whereas Ross's full salary ($5.5 mill) is guaranteed and as such no cap savings if cut.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 09:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep.
Erickson was actually decent last year stepping in for injured WRs. He put up 529 yards.
However, he's a slot receiver and the Bengals already have Boyd and Ross who can play slot.
Some might think to just get rid of John Ross and keep Erickson, but Ross put up 506 yds and 3 TDs in just 8 games where Erickson was available for all 16 games.
Plus, as you said, Erickson would return a cap savings of $1.6 mill whereas Ross's full salary ($5.5 mill) is guaranteed and as such no cap savings if cut.

Erickson has reliable hands. Runs good routes. But he just lacks a 2nd gear to do any damage after the catch 
I don't think he makes the roster this year 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 11:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, I’m with you. His stats make John Ross look like Jerry Rice.

We definitely shouldn’t be passing on one of the better WR’s in the draft just because we signed this guy.

This. This guy is not very good. Changes nothing.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 11:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Then why did he start 1 game in 4 years?

Well gee, I'm not Sean McVay, so you'd have to ask him. But like I said, this, however, sounds like he is very high on him...

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/03/mike-thomas-bengals/

Quote:“He’s done a really good job,” McVay said. “Mike is a guy that I’ve always been a huge fan of, extremely tough competitor, he’s got great speed, I think he’s catching the ball really consistently. Eric Yarber and Liam Coen – our receivers coaches – have done a great job really with that group as a whole. In a lot of instances, you talk about Brandin (Cooks), Robert (Woods), Cooper (Kupp) – Josh Reynolds now has really ascended to where you’re talking about him. And then I think Mike Thomas has really separated himself as one of those guys that stands out with the way that he’s consistently played.”
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 11:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, I’m with you. His stats make John Ross look like Jerry Rice.

We definitely shouldn’t be passing on one of the better WR’s in the draft just because we signed this guy.

This. This guy is not very good. Changes nothing.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 11:14 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This.   This guy is not very good.  Changes nothing.
Special Teams.  Maybe the second speed guy on a 5 WR every now and then.  Gotta have bottom of the roster guys too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 10:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well gee, I'm not Sean McVay, so you'd have to ask him. But like I said, this, however, sounds like he is very high on him...

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/03/mike-thomas-bengals/

I like Mike Thomas, think he will surprise a lot of people on here.

That being said we still need to Draft at least one WR this year. We need another game changer or two in case of injuries.
Reply/Quote