Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
WR Mike Thomas Signed
(03-21-2020, 01:19 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think he will be 4th WR behind Green Boyd Tate.  Maybe 5th if Burrow makes Ross look good.  But you know, we are talking about Ross.  

Goff is good but like Dalton, can make his WR struggle at times with ball placement.  Burrow is the man.  I know highlights make anyone look good but watch this guy.  I think Bengal fans will love this guy like Housh....

Kind of reminds me of Bernard Scott, only as a WR and not a RB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the Bengals other Mike Thomas. Hang in there, as soon as Ross gets hurt you'll get more snaps than you ever have Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 11:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Guy has 144 yds and 0 TD in 40 games. Big old meh on this one.

I know right.  Folks need to relax....he will be on the practice squad probably.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 08:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm thinking that he's their STs ace, and likely their backup return man.  In other words a quality guy to have on your roster who's contributions don't often show up in the box score.

So is he basically a replacement for Fej? Cool, we needed that guy. Is Thomas>Fej? 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 09:56 AM)SladeX Wrote: So is he basically a replacement for Fej? Cool, we needed that guy. Is Thomas>Fej? 

Yep, your basic pre-season game superstar.   LOL

All joking aside, he does have some speed.  If they work him in on some of the 3 and 4 WR sets, he might make a good deep decoy that opens up things underneath for the other receivers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't think this is anything to get too excited about, but if you combine it with the other offseason moves, I'll take gladly take Tobin being active.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 10:55 PM)psychdoctor Wrote:
Well, that takes WR at #33 off the table I would think.  Now just need 2 thumper safeties, 2 backers, guard and RT.  Maybe a TE in Moss.
Jesus I hope this guy doesnt take WR off the table at 33. This is the wrong Mike Thomas to replace AJ
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 11:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still very young at 25 and a good ST'er. Wasn't saying he was some great player at this stage...

We still need to add some talent from this Draft no question.

Could it be that he will be our core return guy so Phillips can be our starting CB?  I like the signing.  Speed and versatility.  I don't know the details of the contract, but if he had produced a lot more he would have cost way too much for us at this point.   
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 12:31 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am a little concern about LB.  My guess is that they will go with the safety/linebacker hybrid type.  The days of the big lumbering backer is over.  Plus, it seems the Bengals cannot get anyone to cover TE.  I would not be surprised if the Bengals take one backer and two big, fast safeties this draft.  

Also, the guard position depth is weak.  I know Jordan is developing but Price is struggling.  I cannot figure him out.  So, as much as the Bengals need another WR, I can see them going in a different direction.  I think Aiyuk is the pick in round 3 as Ross replacement.  I think Bengals will extend Green because he is so difficult to replace.  Maybe Mims.  I think Higgins struggles against press coverage from physical CB so I think he is good but I do not know if the Bengals would take him at #33.  

I really like Tanner Muse out of Clemson as a OLB for this team.  Dude has great instincts and played mostly safety for Clemson.  He is a big, tough guy with instincts and good speed.  I can't believe we aren't seeing more about this guy, given that he was in the National Championship game.  People are saying "his days at safety are over".  Fine, he would be a beast of a hybrid LB.  

Also love Dugger and Chinn as 3rd round small school studs to replace Williams.  People point to Williams' s respectable PFF numbers and say he is a good player, but he gets targeted more than Dre K it would seem and is a huge liability in coverage.  I want an instinctive freak at SS that can make plays all over the field.  

As far as WR goes, if the Bengals are thinking of replacing Ross, it could be Reagor.  I think they go for a more versatile WR like Jefferson, Mims, or Higgins.  My dark horse is Chase Claypool.  Look at the absolute DOG that was Deebo Samuel for the SF 49ers.  I think Claypool is that kind of guy.  Doesn't have phone-booth quicks, but is a huge catch radius, and gets the tough yards when needed.  If they slide in Rd 2, watch for Claypool...Oh, and the dude is a fierce blocker.  Team seems to have an emphasis on this (finally).
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 01:19 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think he will be 4th WR behind Green Boyd Tate.  Maybe 5th if Burrow makes Ross look good.  But you know, we are talking about Ross.  

Goff is good but like Dalton, can make his WR struggle at times with ball placement.  Burrow is the man.  I know highlights make anyone look good but watch this guy.  I think Bengal fans will love this guy like Housh....

Your reference of Burrow made me reply to your message instead of just adding to the thread.  Granted, it was only a 2:30 video, but he seemed to track the ball very well.  Made in-air adjustments to the ball and has great hands.  I will look at it as quality depth and hope he can show some of what he did in college.  He did light up Washington in their bowl game and they had some pretty solid CBs at that time, if memory serves.  My guess is he could win the starting returner role since Phillips should be our starting CB.  

Here is what he did at the combine (pro day).  

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/mike-thomas?id=2555562
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 01:26 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: The guy has made the Rams roster for his first 4 yrs. A better roster than the Bengals; and, he has been the 5th WR for them behind good WR's there. And, he's played good ST's.
The Bengals need to replace Fej as he was a core ST's guy.
Taylor knows this guy, coached him, and knows his value on ST's and WR; and, knew he could challenge for the 4th, 5th WR position.

The bottom line is the Bengals got better today with a replacement for Fej and competition in the WR room. Plain and simple.

Hate that we lost Fej...he was "my guy".  I guess I will need a new one to be overly excited about....When he stripped that ball against the Colts and returned for a TD.  Dude won the first game of the season, IMHO.  I will miss Fej and how announcers butcher his name probably more than Houshmanzadeh.  
Reply/Quote
2018 did not play at all.. Rams loaded at WR so was not going to see much time this season.. but excellent on ST teams.. and will compete here for 3rd/4th WR position plus coming from Rams Zac knows him so I like that. We still will be looking at Wr in Draft im thinking rounds 3 to 5
Reply/Quote
WR is supposed to be the deepest position in this year draft.

Nothing against signing this guy but I still expect to draft a WR very high.
Reply/Quote
He'll compete with Stanley Morgan and Damion Willis for last WR spot most likely.
With both Phillips and Wilson available for return duties, I could also see Erickson gone if the Bengals draft a WR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Not trying to be "that guy", but Thomas also had a drop rate of 10.1% in college.  He has the same drop issues as Ross without the ability to separate or make explosive plays.  He's fumbled on 2 of his 21 career touches, so he's also a fumbler.  If Mike Thomas is taking significant snaps on offense next year, Burrow is in deep trouble.  

I don't have an issue with signing the guy on the cheap to fight for a roster spot, as our WR depth is terrible, but he's fighting for a 6-7 spot and only really has a shot to make it because of ST's.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 09:56 AM)SladeX Wrote: So is he basically a replacement for Fej? Cool, we needed that guy. Is Thomas>Fej? 

He's more like Cody Core 2.0.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really like Tanner Muse out of Clemson as a OLB for this team.  Dude has great instincts and played mostly safety for Clemson.  He is a big, tough guy with instincts and good speed.  I can't believe we aren't seeing more about this guy, given that he was in the National Championship game.  People are saying "his days at safety are over".  Fine, he would be a beast of a hybrid LB.  

Also love Dugger and Chinn as 3rd round small school studs to replace Williams.  People point to Williams' s respectable PFF numbers and say he is a good player, but he gets targeted more than Dre K it would seem and is a huge liability in coverage.  I want an instinctive freak at SS that can make plays all over the field.  

As far as WR goes, if the Bengals are thinking of replacing Ross, it could be Reagor.  I think they go for a more versatile WR like Jefferson, Mims, or Higgins.  My dark horse is Chase Claypool.  Look at the absolute DOG that was Deebo Samuel for the SF 49ers.  I think Claypool is that kind of guy.  Doesn't have phone-booth quicks, but is a huge catch radius, and gets the tough yards when needed.  If they slide in Rd 2, watch for Claypool...Oh, and the dude is a fierce blocker.  Team seems to have an emphasis on this (finally).

My thinking is that Mims or Jefferson at 33 or they will go Mckinney as a hybrid backer, or Josh Jones or Cleveland.  They really need a guard now and OT.  No one knows how Williams will work out and Hart is , well Hart.  So I think WR is maybe round 3 in Aiyuk who will eventually replace Ross unless he can catch and stay healthy.  They must extend Green but I am preparing myself for the Bengals to find a 4rd day Gem at WR in Kendricks, Reed or T. Cleveland.  

Bengals need two backers, OT, Guard, QB, and at least one safety.  It would be great to give Burrow Jefferson, but also be great to fix the OL.  Muse is one of my Favorites.  Chinn and Dugger will have to be round 3 picks.  I think Bengals will have to get a backer in round 3 unless Queen is there at 33.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
We're talking about a guy with 10 career receptions, and only two last year. He's a guy who will compete for our last WR spot, nothing more.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 02:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sure why you’re being like this, but Nate “loved this pickup” and Doc was posting multiple highlights and talking about taking WR off the board early in the draft...

That enough for you, or you want to keep arguing semantics because Carolina happened to say “everyone?”

The only reason I loved the pickup is because I liked this guy in college. He was a very good prospect that I researched.

Some guy on here thought he was The Michael Thomas ffs!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 12:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: He's more like Cody Core 2.0.

Basically.

Reply/Quote