Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WR's in Rd's 3 and 5...again?
The more I study the Bengal's situation and the talent in this draft the more I think they will repeat what they did with Sanu and Jones.

With the release of Hawk I just have a feeling that they may go LB in the first and DT in the second. The talent on the board would suggest this as a very good probability. As many of us know D-line is deep in this draft so there should be a very good one available in the second round.

There are role playing pass catchers to be had in the middle rounds. Obviously, I could be dead wrong but I just don't see them reaching for one of the highly touted WR's out of need.

Just a feeling I have as I begin to see what could be the picture of the upcoming draft. Personally, I am very much on board with this strategy if it's how it plays out.
Reply/Quote
Neither Sanu, nor Jones, did anything their rookie seasons. The Bengals need help at receiver this season, not 2-3 years from now.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 08:14 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Neither Sanu, nor Jones, did anything their rookie seasons. The Bengals need help at receiver this season, not 2-3 years from now.

Agree with this...

They need to draft one in first 2 rounds..

I'd be willing to take DT or LB in first if we take Sterling Shepard or Tyler Boyd in 2nd..

or we do opposite and take Josh Doctson, Treadwell or Coleman in first and take Kenny Clark, Adolpheus Washington, or Vernon Butler in 2nd.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 08:14 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Neither Sanu, nor Jones, did anything their rookie seasons. The Bengals need help at receiver this season, not 2-3 years from now.

Disagree Lafell will be a nice WR for us this season.plus we have Eifert and Benard who are good receiving threats even though their not Wrs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 08:48 PM)J24 Wrote: Disagree Lafell will be a nice WR for us this season.plus we have Eifert and Benard who are good receiving threats even though their not Wrs.

You're telling me that LaFell will get all the 160 targets that was divided among Jones and Sanu...?

I highly doubt that happens and pretty sure we draft a WR if not in 1st than in 2nd or 3rd.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 08:48 PM)J24 Wrote: Disagree Lafell will be a nice WR for us this season.plus we have Eifert and Benard who are good receiving threats even though their not Wrs.

Disagree all you want but the fact is we need help at WR this year!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 08:58 PM)pulses Wrote: Disagree all you want but the fact is we need help at WR this year!

How is that a fact? We signed a good WR in Lafell and we have a top 5 WR in AJ Green along with a top 5 TE and a top 5 receiving back. We can wait on a WR until the third.
J24

Reply/Quote

(04-26-2016, 08:51 PM)milksheikh Wrote: You're telling me that LaFell will get all the 160 targets that was divided among Jones and Sanu...?

I highly doubt that happens and pretty sure we draft a WR if not in 1st than in 2nd or 3rd.

It's all about expectations with these guys. Lafell should be a great pickup, but he is a Sanu replacement/slight upgrade imo. He will not be enough to replace the production lost, but with another solid rookie and increased roles from some of our other players the offense should be in good shape. 

That makes the question: Can we get a WR that can come in this season and produce 75% or so of what MJ did in the draft? Do we have to spend a 1st or 2nd to get that caliber player in this years draft? I think we do with the weakness of the prospects at WR this year. If you think we can get one later then fine, but remember Jones and sanu produced very little their first seasons.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 08:14 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Neither Sanu, nor Jones, did anything their rookie seasons.  The Bengals need help at receiver this season, not 2-3 years from now.

(04-26-2016, 08:19 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Agree with this...

They need to draft one in first 2 rounds..

I'd be willing to take DT or LB in first if we take Sterling Shepard or Tyler Boyd in 2nd..

or we do opposite and take Josh Doctson, Treadwell or Coleman in first and take Kenny Clark, Adolpheus Washington, or Vernon Butler in 2nd.
Both of y'all have been fans of the team and on this board for as long as I can remember. Wts, other than AJ Green this coaching staff doesn't start rookies at their skill positions. They may give them some reps but they NEVER count on them to come in and make an impact.

I'm not saying that they won't grab a WR in the first couple but with the signing of LaFell it isn't a priority for the 2016 season. With respect I think y'all are perhaps listening to the talking heads a little too much. 

I agree that we need to add some WR's but I just don't see them reaching regardless of the current situation.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 08:51 PM)milksheikh Wrote: You're telling me that LaFell will get all the 160 targets that was divided among Jones and Sanu...?

He will replace Marvin Jones production this season and Sanu production can be reproduced by mid Rd pick.
J24

Reply/Quote

Agree, any WR brought in will still only be at best the 4th or 5th option. That's why they can afford to wait till round three and grab a 6'3" speedy guy like Garrett, Tyler Boyd, or S.Shepard.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 09:10 PM)J24 Wrote: He will replace Marvin Jones production this season and Sanu production can be reproduced by mid Rd pick.

This! We have guys already on the roster that can give us what Sanu gave us.
Reply/Quote
Do a little homework guys. There are several other very good WR's not named Treadwell,Doctson,Fuller, or Coleman.

I like Doctson myself but so do other teams in front of us. Treadwell has good hands in traffic but as Bill Polian said, "He will always be in traffic with a 4.6 forty". Coleman played in a system that helped inflate his numbers and Baylor's track record at the skill positions (NFL level) is very poor. Fuller drops 50% of the balls thrown to him.
Reply/Quote
Each year I fall a little harder for a prospect than I should. This year it is Malcolm Mitchell. He's currently carrying a 3-4 RD grade
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 09:15 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: This! We have guys already on the roster that can give us what Sanu gave us.

(04-26-2016, 09:19 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Do a little homework guys. There are several other very good WR's not named Treadwell,Doctson,Fuller, or Coleman.

I like Doctson myself but so do other teams in front of us. Treadwell has good hands in traffic but as Bill Polian said, "He will always be in traffic with a 4.6 forty". Coleman played in a system that helped inflate his numbers and Baylor's track record at the skill positions (NFL level) is very poor. Fuller drops 50% of the balls thrown to him.

For starters I think Bengals fans everywhere need to learn to lower their expectations for FA's we sign at bargain bin prices. There is a reason LaFell was cut, and signed for under $3 mil. He is not Marvin Jones by any means, if he was he would have been paid much closer to MJ's salary...or better yet wouldn't have been cut in the first place because he would have been playing for less than half of his value. The truth is he a good 3rd WR or poor to average 2nd WR. We either need a good 2nd WR or a guy who can be sorta 2/2a with LaFell. 

IF YOU GO INTO THIS SEASON THINKING ANYONE WE SIGNED WILL BE GREAT PLAYERS YOU WILL BE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED BY THE END OF THE YEAR! 

Then players face unfair criticism because the fans horribly overestimated them...sorry that's a rant as much about past players as LaFell, but the lesson applies here too. 

As for this draft, I have and always do my homework. This WR class is not very strong at the top, or in depth. There are NO well rounded WR's (Doctson is the closest thing to it which is why I want him). After that you have players with glaring weaknesses and strengths that are mostly potential that will likely never play out because of their weaknesses. If they do it will be 2 years down the road for the vast majority. And if you want a guy like shepard you can't be sure he'll make it to our 2nd rounder, or Garrett to our 3rd, etc. If a guy like Doctson or Treadwell is there at 24 you take him. If Coleman or Fuller it depends on what your scouting department thinks and the offense you run, personally I think they would both be well worth a 2nd round pick, but not a first. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 09:38 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: For starters I think Bengals fans everywhere need to learn to lower their expectations for FA's we sign at bargain bin prices. There is a reason LaFell was cut, and signed for under $3 mil. He is not Marvin Jones by any means, if he was he would have been paid much closer to MJ's salary...or better yet wouldn't have been cut in the first place because he would have been playing for less than half of his value. The truth is he a good 3rd WR or poor to average 2nd WR. We either need a good 2nd WR or a guy who can be sorta 2/2a with LaFell. 

IF YOU GO INTO THIS SEASON THINKING ANYONE WE SIGNED WILL BE GREAT PLAYERS YOU WILL BE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED BY THE END OF THE YEAR! 

Then players face unfair criticism because the fans horribly overestimated them...sorry that's a rant as much about past players as LaFell, but the lesson applies here too. 

As for this draft, I have and always do my homework. This WR class is not very strong at the top, or in depth. There are NO well rounded WR's (Doctson is the closest thing to it which is why I want him). After that you have players with glaring weaknesses and strengths that are mostly potential that will likely never play out because of their weaknesses. If they do it will be 2 years down the road for the vast majority. And if you want a guy like shepard you can't be sure he'll make it to our 2nd rounder, or Garrett to our 3rd, etc. If a guy like Doctson or Treadwell is there at 24 you take him. If Coleman or Fuller it depends on what your scouting department thinks and the offense you run, personally I think they would both be well worth a 2nd round pick, but not a first. 
Agree with you about Doctson but your wrong about Lafell. Look at his numbers from the previous year when he was healthy. He was never healthy last season.

No need for all caps in an entire sentence bro.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 09:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Each year I fall a little harder for a prospect than I should. This year it is Malcolm Mitchell. He's currently carrying a 3-4 RD grade

Agree with you bfine, he could be a good addition at 3-4. Too may guys (not yourself) are hitting the panic button about the WR's imo.

R.Kelly could very well be our pick in the first also but they may wait for center from USC.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 09:45 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Agree with you about Doctson but your wrong about Lafell. Look at his numbers from the previous year when he was healthy. He was never healthy last season.

I loved the LaFell signing, don't get me wrong, but he is no MJ. I certainly think he'll be better than he was last year, but we also need to consider the fact that he was playing for the Pats and catching passes from a future HOF. Also he is a couple years older and coming off an injury plagued season. I think he is past his prime, but still a very good fit for this team. I think we need another WR to be around as productive as LaFell will be this season in order to be in good shape. Plus if LaFell goes down we'd have nothing, its not like when we had Sanu when MJ went down.

The wild card in all of this is Tyler Kroft. If the team uses the two tight end sets more and more efficiently (and he takes the next step which he showed he might be able to do) we might be able to get by with a 3-4th rounder that only gets 300-400 yards.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 09:45 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Agree with you about Doctson but your wrong about Lafell. Look at his numbers from the previous year when he was healthy. He was never healthy last season.

No need for all caps in an entire sentence bro.

Needed it to stand out so that everyone would read it. Not that anyone will take the advice...
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 07:08 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: The more I study the Bengal's situation and the talent in this draft the more I think they will repeat what they did with Sanu and Jones.

With the release of Hawk I just have a feeling that they may go LB in the first and DT in the second. The talent on the board would suggest this as a very good probability. As many of us know D-line is deep in this draft so there should be a very good one available in the second round.

There are role playing pass catchers to be had in the middle rounds. Obviously, I could be dead wrong but I just don't see them reaching for one of the highly touted WR's out of need.

Just a feeling I have as I begin to see what could be the picture of the upcoming draft. Personally, I am very much on board with this strategy if it's how it plays out.

I am with you and the thought process that you are predicting.

Lots on here are too focused on WR and not enough on DT. I am not as on board for LB early as much as End.

Defense is where you win Championships and we still have plenty of weapons. We improve the running game and
the Center position mainly and this helps more than another early round WR unless someone special is there.

I don't want us to reach for a guy like Will Fuller. Please don't!
Reply/Quote