Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WR's who ya got ?
(08-03-2017, 06:39 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I have been a Peerman supporter forever but he is a 30 year old special teamer time for him to go just keep a guy on the practice squad at RB. Erickson has a lot more value at this point and he could turn into a decent WR down the road given the chance. Erickson had to focus on returns last year he can spend more time learning WR this year maybe make more of an impact there. We might go with 2 QB if they are not as high on Driskel after preseason and maybe go with 4 TE or an extra linebacker.

Much rather have peerman as opposed to a guy like pj Dawson who won't see the field. We have burfict, Rey, vigil, minter, Lawson.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 06:44 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Much rather have peerman as opposed to a guy like pj Dawson who won't see the field. We have burfict, Rey, vigil, minter, Lawson.

If Peerman has the most value then ok. But Eifert and Burfict are both in contract years if we lose one then having a 4th TE or 7th linebacker on the team to groom might pay off next year. Like I said I always was a Peerman fan really wanted him to get more carries at RB years ago. But at 30 years old I don't really see him making anymore of an impact at running the ball then a practice squad guy could make if we had injuries at that spot. He has been the special teams captain and done a great job there but at some point you have to move on.

P.S The Cards and Cowboys are coming on football is here... Go Bengals
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fej, you forgot Fej. Mellow

No, if they keep Wilson, he would logically be the 4th S and Fej would be cut.  No way they carry 6 CB's and 5 S's, hence the comment about 11 DB's.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 01:36 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think Malone and Core are locks.

We have 6 locks. Aj ross boyd lafell core and malone.

Only question is erickson.

I would sacrifice peerman for erickson. Three starting caliber RBs are on the team. Go with 3 RBs and 7 WRs.

Typically, they carry 6 WR's on the roster and have 5 active for gameday.  Those 5 are the 4 best WR's as position players and the primary returner.  Core isn't one of our 4 best, and he's not a return man, so it's him and Malone going for that 6th spot that will usually be inactive.  They won't cut Malone as a rookie 4th rounder, which would leave Core the odd man out if they keep 6.  However, I see them either keeping 7 or stashing one on IR if they possibly can.  
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 08:56 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: If Peerman has the most value then ok. But Eifert and Burfict are both in contract years if we lose one then having a 4th TE or 7th linebacker on the team to groom might pay off next year. Like I said I always was a Peerman fan really wanted him to get more carries at RB years ago. But at 30 years old I don't really see him making anymore of an impact at running the ball then a practice squad guy could make if we had injuries at that spot. He has been the special teams captain and done a great job there but at some point you have to move on.

P.S The Cards and Cowboys are coming on football is here... Go Bengals

I am not looking to groom.. we can pick up another draft pick next year to groom, I am looking to make this team better this year and if I have to choose between protecting the 7th WR on the team over cutting the best special team player we have that can make a difference in a ballgame this season, I choose the latter. 
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 11:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I am not looking to groom.. we can pick up another draft pick next year to groom, I am looking to make this team better this year and if I have to choose between protecting the 7th WR on the team over cutting the best special team player we have that can make a difference in a ballgame this season, I choose the latter. 

I agree.  Some people forget that Special Teams is 1/3 of the game.  Peerman is not only great at playing them, he's like a coach on the field.  I wonder just how many borderline player that he's helped to stick around a year or two, just by inspiring them to give their all on 'teams?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 11:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree.  Some people forget that Special Teams is 1/3 of the game.  Peerman is not only great at playing them, he's like a coach on the field.  I wonder just how many borderline player that he's helped to stick around a year or two, just by inspiring them to give their all on 'teams?

The thing about Peerman and the running back situation is....Who dresses on game day? They can hold 4 RBs on the 53 but only 3 dress on game day so now who doesn't dress?

If Peerman doesn't dress and play ST there's no reason for him to be on the 53, but can Mixon or Hill play ST well enough to supplant Peerman because one of them will be on special teams. (I don't think Gio is a good fit for ST.)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 07:48 AM)Synric Wrote:  
The thing about Peerman and the running back situation is....Who dresses on game day? They can hold 4 RBs on the 53 but only 3 dress on game day so now who doesn't dress?

If Peerman doesn't dress and play ST there's no reason for him to be on the 53, but can Mixon or Hill play ST well enough to supplant Peerman because one of them will be on special teams. (I don't think Gio is a good fit for ST.)

It should be interesting to see how that plays out.  Keep in mind, last season they activated Peerman over Jackson, because they wanted him back for Special Teams.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think we keep 7, Core, Malone and Erickson being the last 3.

This.  If I was being held to 6, I would seriously consider saving the money with Lafell.  He is a solid vet, but he doesn't have the speed or special teams of these guys.  I would hate to lose a guy like Malone for keeping Lafell for the short term.

Right now, I see a real challenge in terms of who will dress each game.  I don't think you can sit Core.  He also helps on special teams.  Correct me if I am wrong, but they usually only dress five, correct?

AJ
Ross
Boyd
Lafell
Erickson
Core

Tough to not dress Erickson as he is the return guy....don't want Core wasting on the bench...

Hmmmm.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 12:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fej, you forgot Fej. Mellow

How DARE they???  

Shocked Wub Attitude Smack Rant Mooning
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 09:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: No, if they keep Wilson, he would logically be the 4th S and Fej would be cut.  No way they carry 6 CB's and 5 S's, hence the comment about 11 DB's.

Blasphemy!!!
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 11:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree.  Some people forget that Special Teams is 1/3 of the game.  Peerman is not only great at playing them, he's like a coach on the field.  I wonder just how many borderline player that he's helped to stick around a year or two, just by inspiring them to give their all on 'teams?

Peerman's brains and toughness + the friggin track team speed of some of the new additions = Damn good ST unit
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 07:48 AM)Synric Wrote:  

Peerman will be cut if not looked upon as active roster every game.. they are not going to keep their best ST player inactive if they have any thoughts of doing that.. they would cut him i believe... 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 11:19 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Peerman will be cut if not looked upon as active roster every game.. they are not going to keep their best ST player inactive if they have any thoughts of doing that.. they would cut him i believe... 

Agreed. I think because of Hill Mixon and Gio all likely dressing game day it'll push Peerman out of a job. Hes also on NFI and Boom Williams and Carson are both having a good camp. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 08:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: How DARE they???  

Shocked Wub Attitude Smack Rant Mooning

I dared. In fact I dared so much that I forgot that I dared. I betcha the last time you saw I and dared together as the only two words in a sentence was well..now. 

Damned..nobody has suggested cutting AJ to save on cap space? C'mon.. You know you want to.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 09:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: No, if they keep Wilson, he would logically be the 4th S and Fej would be cut.  No way they carry 6 CB's and 5 S's, hence the comment about 11 DB's.

I expect Wilson to either go on the PUP or to the Practice Squad. He is our future ST's stud after Peerman is gone IMO.

No way they cut Fej man.

(08-04-2017, 08:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.  If I was being held to 6, I would seriously consider saving the money with Lafell.  He is a solid vet, but he doesn't have the speed or special teams of these guys.  I would hate to lose a guy like Malone for keeping Lafell for the short term.

Right now, I see a real challenge in terms of who will dress each game.  I don't think you can sit Core.  He also helps on special teams.  Correct me if I am wrong, but they usually only dress five, correct?

AJ
Ross
Boyd
Lafell
Erickson
Core

Tough to not dress Erickson as he is the return guy....don't want Core wasting on the bench...

Hmmmm.

Completely agree, if we have to keep just 6 Lafell might have to be traded or something.

Lafell is very solid he just doesn't have the upside of Core or Malone. Would be a huge mistake to cut one of these two.

You cannot teach speed.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2017, 11:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I am not looking to groom.. we can pick up another draft pick next year to groom, I am looking to make this team better this year and if I have to choose between protecting the 7th WR on the team over cutting the best special team player we have that can make a difference in a ballgame this season, I choose the latter. 

Only 45 players are active every week for gameday 8 guys sit out every week. If Nickerson or Schreck make a big enough impact in preseason that you cant stash them on the practice squad without another team snatching them up. Then they far outweigh a 30 year old blocker on special teams. Or a tackler that can add 8 tackles a year or so.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 12:51 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Only 45 players are active every week for gameday 8 guys sit out every week. If Nickerson or Schreck make a big enough impact in preseason that you cant stash them on the practice squad without another team snatching them up. Then they far outweigh a 30 year old blocker on special teams.

Dude, put down the bong for a minute.  Peerman has made the freakin' Pro Bowl, as a Special Teamer..  Just because he doesn't show up in any fantasy stats, don't underestimate his importance to the team.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 12:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dude, put down the bong for a minute.  Peerman has made the freakin' Pro Bowl, as a Special Teamer..  Just because he doesn't show up in any fantasy stats, don't underestimate his importance to the team.

Put down the weights. Peerman was my favorite player for years I am a huge fan of his. But a 30 year old special teamer only has so much he can offer to the team. You have to move on at some point we cant carry a 35 year old special team guy just cause he can tackle this is the NFL you think we cant replace a guy that makes a few tackles on teams. Like I said in a earlier post if the other guys don't make as big an impact then we keep Peerman but we have to let preseason play out to make that call.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2017, 12:02 PM)Synric Wrote: Agreed. I think because of Hill Mixon and Gio all likely dressing game day it'll push Peerman out of a job. Hes also on NFI and Boom Williams and Carson are both having a good camp. 

I see the opposite.. if those three dress, they don;t need a 4th RB sitting the pine.. so Peerman is active for the important contribution he provides as St..
Reply/Quote