Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WRs on the lower depth chart have a chance to impress.
(07-29-2019, 04:20 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Definitely true. That could’ve been the case for Malone besides the tipped INT. Maybe the coaches saw something before that play and didn’t feel comfortable with him on the field.  Still hoping that one of these guys step up and if you can still make defenses respect Ross’ speed, we’ll get by.

It seems like Westerman will never happen. Whether it’s playbook reasons or being a strictly run north and south guy. I would say that John Jerry starting wouldn’t be a bad thing if he didn’t sit out for a year. It also helps him that he’s Turner’s guy from Miami.

Putting a ho hum vet like Jerry on front of a young guy is the sort if thing we complained about in the bad old days, though. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 05:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Putting a ho hum vet like Jerry on front of a young guy is the sort if thing we complained about in the bad old days, though. 

That’s fair to say. Westerman ran with the 1st team today, though, so that’s more of a chance than the last staff gave him. I assume it’s gonna be an actual competition throughout the preseason instead of sticking with the 1st group in the 1st practice and deciding their guy from there like Marvin and co. did.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2019, 07:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hoping that Morgan dude is the real deal

I like your optimism and crazier things have happened and everything I’ve read claims he’s a steal but still he went undrafted for a reason and that’s a lot to bank on. I’m with you though i really hope he turns out
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 08:12 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: That’s fair to say. Westerman ran with the 1st team today, though, so that’s more of a chance than the last staff gave him.

I am sure the last staff gave himplenty of chances.

Look around the league.  No other team just randomly rotates their starting line up so that every player "gets a chance"  So I don't know why so many fans think thre Bengals should work like that.

Marvin started rookies and played young players as much as the average NFL coach.  Really bad teams are more likely to play rookies and Marvin never had many really bad teams.  But he started lots of rookies and gave playing time to lots of young players.
Reply/Quote
I'm pulling for Cody Core now. We've pretty much assumed ZT can resurrect practically any player so why not him?

The guy is a late round gem!
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 10:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am sure the last staff gave himplenty of chances.

Look around the league.  No other team just randomly rotates their starting line up so that every player "gets a chance"  So I don't know why so many fans think thre Bengals should work like that.

Marvin started rookies and played young players as much as the average NFL coach.  Really bad teams are more likely to play rookies and Marvin never had many really bad teams.  But he started lots of rookies and gave playing time to lots of young players.

Yep. Bodine, Price, Zeitler are some examples of rookies who started from day 1 just on the line.

Westerman had to be given a look. With how bad Redmond played, there's no way he wasn't.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 05:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Putting a ho hum vet like Jerry on front of a young guy is the sort if thing we complained about in the bad old days, though. 

Maybe Jerry and Westerman did, rock, paper, scissors to decide who ran at LG on the first day??
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 10:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am sure the last staff gave himplenty of chances.

I do have to wonder how we will handle it if ZT doesnt put the players we want out there.  God help us if ZT plays Core more than Tate and we have to be ok with it
Reply/Quote
Hopefully with Boyd, Morgan & Erickson our WR corps & offense can succeed. Hopefully we can trade ROSS for that #1 draft QB from the Cards last year. I rather a 2nd/3rd spot QB backup than a 3rd spot WR taking up room for others to succeed.
Reply/Quote
If our new WR can actually get Core to play the ball correctly in the air and catch it then he has the physical tools to be good - his problem has always been bad technique more than anything else.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 10:49 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm pulling for Cody Core now. We've pretty much assumed ZT can resurrect practically any player so why not him?

The guy is a late round gem!

You know the only reason he was drafted so late was be because he played with, and was outshined by top prospect Laquan Treadwell... Wait.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

To be fair, Marvin never seemed to give the young guys a chance to compete.  Westerman is at least getting his chances with the 1's.  If Jerry outperforms him, then he should start.  Let the best man win.
Reply/Quote
Cores problem is that he is a,porous route runner.
his body language is predictable.
CBs lock on to him and thats that.
he doesnt know how to sell routes or set up CBs.
for someone of his size his plays like Jane.if he hears footsteps he drops the ball.
he cant take a big hit without wetting his,pants.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2019, 10:28 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: The time has finally come for The John Ross to reveal his true divinity to the hoi polloi. This year, they won't measure his output in yards; he will gain counties.

He will not be scoring touchdowns. He will be planting a phallus-shaped Sigil in every county east of the Mason Dixon.

East of the Mason Dixon??  Is that akin to when Bluto said the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 01:33 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Cores problem is that he is a,porous route runner.
his body language is predictable.
CBs lock on to him and thats that.
he doesnt know how to sell routes or set up CBs.
for someone of his size his plays like Jane.if he hears footsteps he drops the ball.
he cant take a big hit without wetting his,pants.

His hands don't seem to be that good either. He misses some easy ones occasionally. Maybe it is footsteps? idk. Not good though.

This is Year 4 for him so it's time to produce.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 01:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: To be fair, Marvin never seemed to give the young guys a chance to compete.  Westerman is at least getting his chances with the 1's.  If Jerry outperforms him, then he should start.  Let the best man win.

Not to defend Marvin, but I think in many cases we weren't very impressed by the best man who won the spot and we had no trouble imagining every guy on the bench could be a breakout star.  
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 01:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: His hands don't seem to be that good either. He misses some easy ones occasionally. Maybe it is footsteps? idk. Not good though.

maybe the Ole Miss WR coach didnt really coach up his players.
I mean look at LaQean Treadwell.
mega bust at WR for the Vikings.
Core might get passed up by Malone Tate or Willis.
Core needs to truly be unstoppable in the preseason to earn his spot
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 01:50 PM)impactplaya Wrote: maybe the Ole Miss WR coach didnt really coach up his players.
I mean look at LaQean Treadwell.
mega bust at WR for the Vikings.
Core might get passed up by Malone Tate or Willis.
Core needs to truly be unstoppable in the preseason to earn his spot

Eh...he was a 6th Round pick.

Fans tend to see these 6th Round picks who are like 6 foot 2 and fast and think...Wow he'll be a great Pro. But there are A LOT of WR's in college that are 6 foot 2 and fast. There's a reason he was the 199th guy drafted most likely.

Here was his scouting report: Cody Core existed in Laquon Treadwell’s shadow during his time at Mississippi, but an impressive combine performance has buzz generating around his name heading into the draft.

Gee - How many guys that we drafted based on impressive combine numbers have worked out well for us?
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 01:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: His hands don't seem to be that good either. He misses some easy ones occasionally. Maybe it is footsteps? idk. Not good though.

Well yea, but he played here under Marvin and Zampese and Lazor...there was no way they'd use him right.  I think ZT is going to make Core EXPLODE and everyone is going to eat some crow...but Core has to be on the field for that to happen so put him with the 1s like Marvin wouldn't.

(07-30-2019, 01:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Eh...he was a 6th Round pick.

Fans tend to see these 6th Round picks who are like 6 foot 2 and fast and think...Wow he'll be a great Pro. But there are A LOT of WR's in college that are 6 foot 2 and fast. There's a reason he was the 199th guy drafted most likely.

#199?  Like Tom Brady, eh?  Ever heard of him???

All joking aside, when you toss a bunch of excuses and qualifiers around you can justify practically any player "getting a chance for real this time."  Like I said, we can act like the past 3 years were totally hopeless thanks to our awful coaches, but that doesn't mean we can't also throw a number of players we don't like into the trash while we make excuses for others.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 01:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well yea, but he played here under Marvin and Zampese and Lazor...there was no way they'd use him right.  I think ZT is going to make Core EXPLODE and everyone is going to eat some crow...but Core has to be on the field for that to happen so put him with the 1s like Marvin wouldn't.

I consider this season Core's rookie year.
Reply/Quote