Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF Rodney Anderson
(04-29-2019, 07:49 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well, 7th rounder Rod Jones started week one at his best position in the NFL at RG and 1st rounder Willie Anderson didn't see the field until week 10 or 11 and then he sucked so bad at LT, they moved him to RT in the off-season to protect "Yet another failed first round pick". Poor Willie couldn't get any sleep before games because he was too afraid of facing every team's stud pass rusher. Instead, Rod Jones had to face every team's top pass rusher as a seventh rounder playing out of position and fat Willie built up a lot of money facing opponent's second best pass rusher. Then the fat bastard, after being the highest paid RT for years said he'd need more money to move to the LT spot. That's when I officially gave up on that spoiled slob. Bengals fans can praise him all they want, he was another mistake that they held onto too long.

Willie was one of the best RTs to ever play the game and you are just making yourself look completely foolish with your ignorant posts that are just meant to provoke others.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 05:28 PM)Ravage Wrote: I'm not defending the OP here...check my other posts in this thread as evidence, but in this instance he's correct. Anderson was a red-shirt Junior. So he was in college for 4 years, not 3. Anderson's one healthy season was his RS-Sophmore year, so his 3rd in college. Freshman year he broke his leg, Sophmore year he had the fractured vertebra, RS-Sophmore year he was healthy, last year he busted his knee.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/rodney-anderson-1.html

There you go you can go argue with them.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 08:18 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: you talking about Walton?  I never to this day understood that pick.  

Yep... Me neither. I figured it was like when you run outta time in a fantasy draft, and just pick someone in a panic.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 08:45 PM)OSUfan Wrote: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/rodney-anderson-1.html

There you go you can go argue with them.

What would I argue with them about? The fact that we're both in agreement he didn't play in 2016? Take an actual look at the page you linked and do more than just counting the number of lines you see. Notice how it goes from 2015 to 2017 and then 2018? What happened to 2016? Oh that's right...he was red-shirted and didn't play! He was in college for four years, and played in three of them...this isn't rocket science. My summation of his injury history and what years they occurred are straight off the NFL's own prospect page for the kid.

Here, see for yourself: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/rodney-anderson?id=3219414e-4447-1841-e43a-8a52ce91e342
It's under Player Bio, and hell he's even listed as a r-Junior. Freshman year was 2015, 2016 (Red Shirt due to vertebra injury), 2017 healthy RS Sophmore year, 2018 RS Junior year. That's four years.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 08:39 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Willie was one of the best RTs to ever play the game and you are just making yourself look completely foolish with your ignorant posts that are just meant to provoke others.
1992 Klingler - Bust
1993 Copeland - Meh at best
1994 Wilkinson - Good player, not dominant, bad fit
1995 Carter - Injured and done
He was taken #10 overall after years of trying to replace Munoz with Kevin Sargent
He took most of the season to get onto the field and then failed at LT.
The following summer, he's now the RT(strong side) and RG/RT Rod Jones is the starting LT. Halfway through the season, Jones was replaced for a year and a half by Kevin Sargent, the guy that they drafted Willie to replace.

Is it common for a team to spend a #10 pick on the RT and then move a 7th rounder from the same draft out of position to play LT? Welcome to 90s Bengals football. After consecutive years of bad #1 picks, they were desperate to not miss again so they moved Willie Anderson to RT. I didn't have too much of a problem with it but it took until they got Levi Jones in 2001 to finally put an NFL LT on the roster. When Levi was hurt, they asked Willie to play LT and he said that they need to pay him more. This was after they made him the highest paid RT for years.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I have no problems with the Anderson pick. He's had a year to train and get his body back into shape. If he can stay healthy we could have a great backfield with Mixon, Geo, Anderson and Williams.. That's one hell of a rotation to keep these boys fresh if they all make the team.. I kind of doubt they have 4 RB's, but you never really know.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 07:49 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well, 7th rounder Rod Jones started week one at his best position in the NFL at RG and 1st rounder Willie Anderson didn't see the field until week 10 or 11 and then he sucked so bad at LT, they moved him to RT in the off-season to protect "Yet another failed first round pick". Poor Willie couldn't get any sleep before games because he was too afraid of facing every team's stud pass rusher. Instead, Rod Jones had to face every team's top pass rusher as a seventh rounder playing out of position and fat Willie built up a lot of money facing opponent's second best pass rusher. Then the fat bastard, after being the highest paid RT for years said he'd need more money to move to the LT spot. That's when I officially gave up on that spoiled slob. Bengals fans can praise him all they want, he was another mistake that they held onto too long.

Willie went to Baltimore and had a fine season after we parted ways so Andrews could be our RT. Baltimore even wanted him to stay for another season after he said he was retiring, We didn't hold on to Willie too long we let him go too soon. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I have said I’ll gladly eat crow if Anderson makes the team and stays healthy. My problem is I don’t see why you take Williams and then Anderson. I get Taylor wants to run the ball a lot. I just don’t see us carrying four running backs, and five if you count the udfa. There is value to be found in the 6th and 7th rounds. Ask Tom Brady. I wouldn’t call it taking a flyer as this team doesn’t have the luxury of taking a flyer on anyone. We are looking at 4th in the north right now, and I would say shitsburgh is barely above us because we can’t beat 97 yr old Big Ben with whoever he has
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 05:43 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I have said I’ll gladly eat crow if Anderson makes the team and stays healthy. My problem is I don’t see why you take Williams and then Anderson. I get Taylor wants to run the ball a lot. I just don’t see us carrying four running backs, and five if you count the udfa. There is value to be found in the 6th and 7th rounds. Ask Tom Brady. I wouldn’t call it taking a flyer as this team doesn’t have the luxury of taking a flyer on anyone. We are looking at 4th in the north right now, and I would say shitsburgh is barely above us because we can’t beat 97 yr old Big Ben with whoever he has

Running backs make good Special team players as well.

and dispite your mystical see the future ball we are tied for 1st place in the north right now.
Reply/Quote
Don't they normally carry 4 running backs anyway?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 08:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't they normally carry 4 running backs anyway?

I don’t think we did last year.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 05:43 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I have said I’ll gladly eat crow if Anderson makes the team and stays healthy. My problem is I don’t see why you take Williams and then Anderson. I get Taylor wants to run the ball a lot. I just don’t see us carrying four running backs, and five if you count the udfa. There is value to be found in the 6th and 7th rounds. Ask Tom Brady. I wouldn’t call it taking a flyer as this team doesn’t have the luxury of taking a flyer on anyone. We are looking at 4th in the north right now, and I would say shitsburgh is barely above us because we can’t beat 97 yr old Big Ben with whoever he has

Ben is a HOF QB, I don't like him but he beats a lot of teams. You complain about who we pick, so who is the guy you would have drafted over Anderson. Give is your guy and then we can see how they do in comparison to our draft pick over the years.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:52 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I consider the sixth round like the 3rd round and get players to unseat current aged players... rather than the experiment lab. I'd rather do that with undrafted free agents... my philosophy is just a bit more "play now" if you're in the first 7 rounds. UFAs can be injured, have social and/or weight issue guys and/ot poorly analyzed players.

Name me one player that you can draft in the 6th round that is going to come in and unseat a current player.  Hell, half the time they don't even make the roster.

You use late round picks generally for special teams and risks.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:30 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Every single year everyone loves the draft and whoever voices disliking it get criticized. I don’t see one potential difference maker in the lot, please tell me who that is? There are 3-4 guys that could become decent players, there doesn’t seem to be much playing time added to next year with this group. Be honest, can you really say that it’s been a positive offseason when you also factor in Free Agency? Sure, it was nice to finally move on from Marvin but what else is there to be positive about? It’s a new group of guys, great. Every other team also got draft picks and they actually used Free Agency. I want to be wrong but don’t we see the same show every year? Sign Brown now or give us something different that will actually give us hope. Every year, the fans act like the Bengals were the only team that added draft picks. It’s a prayer that you hope for a big group of these guys to be better than predicted. I hope it works out but until proven differently, what’s there honestly anything to be optimistic about????

If you don't see Jonah Williams as a complete difference maker for this team, then you aren't placing much importance on the 2 most important position on offense - LT.

As for playing time - the following guys will either start or play significant time - Jonah, Sample, Pratt
Reply/Quote

You are completely wrong on this one.

Willie started 10 games that year.  He held out and saw his first action against Arizona in the preseason as a RT.  He also sprained his knee that game and was carted off.

I don't ever remember Willie being bad and I don't ever remember them trying to move him to LT.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:41 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: 1992 Klingler - Bust
1993 Copeland - Meh at best
1994 Wilkinson - Good player, not dominant, bad fit
1995 Carter - Injured and done
He was taken #10 overall after years of trying to replace Munoz with Kevin Sargent
He took most of the season to get onto the field and then failed at LT.
The following summer, he's now the RT(strong side) and RG/RT Rod Jones is the starting LT. Halfway through the season, Jones was replaced for a year and a half by Kevin Sargent, the guy that they drafted Willie to replace.

Is it common for a team to spend a #10 pick on the RT and then move a 7th rounder from the same draft out of position to play LT? Welcome to 90s Bengals football. After consecutive years of bad #1 picks, they were desperate to not miss again so they moved Willie Anderson to RT. I didn't have too much of a problem with it but it took until they got Levi Jones in 2001 to finally put an NFL LT on the roster. When Levi was hurt, they asked Willie to play LT and he said that they need to pay him more. This was after they made him the highest paid RT for years.

Dude...

Seriously, you've been a GREAT poster thus far, but the last 2 posts in this thread by you are chock full of conjecture and subjectivity:

Klingler: True, though not entirely his fault.
Copeland: Literally a top 3 run defending DE, who wasn't that bad a pass rusher. Basically Geathers predecessor, but a better player.
Wilkinson: Agreed. Much better than our fans give him credit for.

Now, to the Willie stuff:

- He played all 16 games at LT, starting 10 of them.
- He gave up something like 3 sacks in 5 years or whatever, not to mention he was arguably the best run-blocking RT in the game, while he played.
- We did not sign him, he jumped ship because we asked him to take a pay cut. He goes to Bmore, for SIGNIFICANTLY less money and still balls out.

I get he's been a bit of a moody ahole (whether warranted or not) since he's retired, but he was the best RT in the game from 1997-2006 (at least, if not until he retired) and helped bolster a lot of our teams, whether they were terrible or great.

Don't let your bias show.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 09:53 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Ben is a HOF QB, I don't like him but he beats a lot of teams. You complain about who we pick, so who is the guy you would have drafted over Anderson. Give is your guy and then we can see how they do in comparison to our draft pick over the years.

I only mentioned it because we had just drafted Williams. Does Anderson have a chance to be better? Sure does. I just don’t like the idea of taking two running backs close together when at best we have a line the is highly questionable, and we have no idea what are lbs will look like. If our line sucks again, Anderson won’t stand a chance because he will get hurt again. I pray he doesn’t and proves me wrong but to have missed 36 games in college worries me. I do know one of them will either be cut or on the practice field because mixon and gio will be on the team. We have found value even in the 7th, look at clayton fejedelem. Dudes great for us. The question is unfair because every player drafted will walk into a different situation. Anderson especially due to past injuries needs a strong line for success, if he doesn’t have that he may not be there too long. I get they all do, but especially him.
Reply/Quote