Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natural stone and vinyl siding
I'm finishing up the natural stone wall on my deck. I was agonizing what to do with the middle portion, but I think I selected "good enough". This is the 4th try actually, before that was the same sterling gray barnwood that was on the ceiling, then I tried to white wash it, then I tried to black wash it.

None of it looked good, progressively worse and worse. Bought some provia dutch lap vinyl, it was a close choice between sage green and pueblo brown. Brown won. It's a little paler than in these pictures, it was a safe choice. Green may look just a little bit nicer for an accent wall but brown will probably help resale.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
Hmm, back to the drawing board, my friend. That vinyl siding, between the two columns of natural stone just looks, cheesy.

If I were to offer a suggestion, I would say to tile the space in between the stone with natural slate tiles. Their natural beauty will blend with the stone, yet offer an aesthetic contrast. If money isn't an issue, maybe add a water feature to the slate portion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hah! Yeah, lots of people have said to go with natural in between the stone (wood, or something else). Board and batten made out of pine/etc. I've had a crap ton of suggestions.

I have a water feature off the deck, and I just put another one in the front yard. The more I look at it, I do think it looks like a garage door, but you should have seen how bad it looked before this! This looks a lot better than it did before, which is probably why I'm OK with it. Kind of neutral.
Reply/Quote
Why not just slat wood panels?

They sell them in 4×8 sheets in many styles of finish these days.

That way you could hang shelves or any other things from it easily at any time.

It would be a low labor fix as well.

Thinking of doing that in an extra room of my house as an accent wall and hanging guitars from it.

Just a thought.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
A large painting of Fred would offset the stone walls.

Except you want to have visitors so maybe not.

Ask Brad to borrow his and give it a try.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Actually I'm not going to change the look, although the vinyl siding was only $50 of material. A couch will end up going in front of this stuff and an outdoor painting (Bengal Tiger maybe), and that will be it lol. I've heard the pallet suggestion too. I used screws to hang the siding so I can back them out easily next year if I want to try something new.

I'm not embarrassed to wave a Bengals flag in Cleveland, we might get a win someday. I think an outdoor rated canvas large painting of a Bengal tiger or white tiger would be cool here.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It doesn't look bad at all but it does kind of remind me of a storage unit door. If it were me, I'd consider painting it a different color to contrast with the rock more. Of course I don't know what color schemes you have going on overall and that would draw more attention to it which could be a good or bad thing depending on what you want. Just a thought.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Go to the nearest college that has an art departmetn. Post a notice of a design competiton for a painting on vinyl siding. Have them email you submissions and you pay the winner $100 to paint the space.

Resaile time either leave it or paint over it.

From what I have seen you have a real nice house. The rock looks great and I know work like that is not cheap. That vinyl siding just doesn't cut it.

Best of all female art students are wild and easy. So just feed her a lot of wine while she does the painting then casually mention that you like to paint using your naked body instead of a brush. If any sort of marijuana is legal in Ohio be sure to have some of that around.
Reply/Quote
Get rid of the Vinyl siding altogether.
Reply/Quote