Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wade Phillips is available
He will not be returning to the Rams, but still wants to coach.

Would be a great asset to a young coach like Taylor to bring him in as DC.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 04:35 PM)ZWP Wrote: He will not be returning to the Rams, but still wants to coach.

I'm sorry, but the Bengals' brain trust has this to say, "We have the people we get along with and we don't need nobody's help."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Probably too expensive.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Love to have him. But why would he want to come here? Unless he likes trying to build something without a lot to work with.

That was likely part of the issue with getting good d coordinators following Zimmer. Weve been throwing picks at ol and receivers
hoping something sticks, andd trying to find a few defensive gems on the third day.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 05:00 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm sorry, but the Bengals' brain trust has this to say, "We have the people we get along with and we don't need nobody's help."

Except Phillips worked with Taylor in LA, so Phillips has that familiarity with him.
This is something that makes sense and would be great if it happened.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 04:35 PM)ZWP Wrote: He will not be returning to the Rams, but still wants to coach.

No. And I fully understand I'm in the minority.

Runs a 3-4 (don't have personnel for that)
His Ds are not as good as they used to be
Too old

Truly, Del Rio would've been the best hire for that, last year.

I'd keep Lou at this point.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Love the guy’s resume, but I have two concerns:

1) His age will catch up to him eventually
2) we would have to switch to a 3-4 and we’ve seen how long the learning curve is for our players when schemes change.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 05:17 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Probably too expensive.

at least the free agents to build his defense would be
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 05:26 PM)Benton Wrote: Love to have him. But why would he want to come here? Unless he likes trying to build something without a lot to work with.

That was likely part of the issue with getting good d coordinators following Zimmer. Weve been throwing picks at ol and receivers
hoping something sticks, andd trying to find a few defensive gems on the third day.

This could be an opportunity for him to come work with someone he's familiar with (Taylor) while also having a chance to take over as (interim) HC if the team performs poorly again.

If his goal would be to get back as a HC again, this could be a great avenue for it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This was the kind of hire we were begging for last off season but people like JDR seemed to not be interested.

I'd at least bring Wade in and see if he has any interest. Anarumo is nothing special and, honestly, I'm already sick of trying to remember his name (for a while I thought it was Anumaro, haven't been able to kick the thought since.)
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 05:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This could be an opportunity for him to come work with someone he's familiar with (Taylor) while also having a chance to take over as (interim) HC if the team performs poorly again.

If his goal would be to get back as a HC again, this could be a great avenue for it.

As long as Wade has been around,it would be hard to find a team where he wasn't familiar with somebody.
Reply/Quote
Rod Marinelli is also available. The last 3 years his Dallas defenses were in the top 10

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 06:20 PM)pally Wrote: Rod Marinelli is also available. The last 3 years his Dallas defenses were in the top 10

I believe he gave up play calling duties to Kris Richard two seasons ago, because he’s really bad at it.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 05:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No. And I fully understand I'm in the minority.

Runs a 3-4 (don't have personnel for that)
His Ds are not as good as they used to be
Too old

Truly, Del Rio would've been the best hire for that, last year.

I'd keep Lou at this point.

1st, I see no way MB makes this type of investment.

But, if they did switching to a 3-4 in a rebuilding year is the time to do it and adjust your personnel in the off season as we rebuild our offense (new QB) and our defense.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Bring him on and he can bring Littleton with him. Never mind Mike Brown, we can start a Gofundme or have a bake sale to raise the money.
Reply/Quote
Wade Phillips runs a very similar defense to what we seen from Lou Anarumo to finish the year. Phillips mixes up his odd and even fronts (34 & 43 alignments) he prefers 2 linebackers with either regular or heavy nickels (3 safeties).

So the whole 34 43 arguement shouldn't be an issue.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 06:38 PM)HuDey Wrote: Bring him on and he can bring Littleton with him. Never mind Mike Brown, we can start a Gofundme or have a bake sale to raise the money.

Beer. That's where the money is at. Plus, if we are rebuilding another year, fans will need a lot of it.

Reply/Quote
I'd welcome him. Would be a good influence for all.
Reply/Quote
Honestly would like this. I know Wade is getting up there but he should be way better than Lou and he knows
Zac and does a great job building a Defense. I just don't think we would spend the money on the type of LB's
we would need to build this Defense. Would like this over Lou coming back though for sure.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 05:17 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Probably too expensive.

The price of a non-head coach, even at two to three million, is so insignificant in the overall picture, it’s sad that this might be true.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote