Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waiting for Superman
(10-02-2019, 08:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ve been trying to do that for 4 years though. It’s not working. We need a QB that at least gives us a slightly better chance with a different type of skill set than Dalton possesses. We know it won’t work with him.

You just can't give up on trying to develop an offensive line. Truth is you need a defense, Offensive line, and QB to win a championship or be  yearly contender. 
To your point the QB play has been lack luster so add it to the list.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Might as well just change the name of this forum to "TheBengalsDraftBoard" cause that is all we ever talk about. This draft, that draft, every draft and yet nothing happens. Been here 10 years and nada - nothing changes.

I suppose the real issue is probably Mike Brown.

It's always been Mike Brown.

And it will always be Mike Brown.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 04:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It hurts we took Ross 1 pick ahead of Mahomes. Of course here, Mahomes probably would have not developed.

Forget Mahommes, I'd take Reid. He may not win many super bowls but he's consistently winning.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 08:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ve been trying to do that for 4 years though. It’s not working. We need a QB that at least gives us a slightly better chance with a different type of skill set than Dalton possesses. We know it won’t work with him.

I agree. He doesnt have the mobility to survive with this line. Put Finley in there.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 08:35 PM)BengalChris Wrote: You can add Ross to 2017, at least sort of. By the time he's off IR again he'll have played in less than half the games the team has played.

2019 it looks like it's going to be 0 so far as MJ is headed to the bench.

We don't know about 2019 yet Williams is hurt, Pratt hasn't really played yet,  Jordan is still young, and  Sample is playing behind two better players. Giving up on this draft class is asinine.
J24

Reply/Quote
I would love to see an all-in Chuck Norris draft next year. Trade the inevitable 1-5 1st round pick for multiple later picks. The Bengals could create a five horsemen OL that could top the league. This is how the 1980s Bengals draft strategy worked to great success (Montoya 7th rd, Munoz 1st rd, Rimington 1st rd, Reimers 8th rd, Blados 1st rd, Kozerski 9th rd). By 1984 the Bengals had one of the most dominant O-Lines in the NFL. 4 playoffs & 2 Super Bowls. This strategy could cement the OL for 10-12 years.

This would free up all following drafts to build the skill positions of QB & receivers as well as new quality defensive blood.  

Unfortunately, most Bengals fans will not see the sizzle in the picks and probably will not buy in to a 2-3 year rebuild. However, patience could yield a consistently good future.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 08:49 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We don't know about 2019 yet Williams is hurt, Pratt hasn't really played yet,  Jordan is still young, and  Sample is playing behind two better players. Giving up on this draft class is asinine.

Who's giving up?

But where are the starter who is contributing *this* season?

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 08:38 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: You just can't give up on trying to develop an offensive line. Truth is you need a defense, Offensive line, and QB to win a championship or be  yearly contender. 
To your point the QB play has been lack luster so add it to the list.

I’m definitely not suggesting giving up addressing the OL. But we’ve gone OL back to back years in the 1st, and 3 out of the last 5. We have to take care of other needs as well. Especially QB, if we’re picking this high. Go OL and LB the rest of the way if need be.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 08:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. He doesnt have the mobility to survive with this line. Put Finley in there.

Finley has shown to have mobility with a decent pocket... he doesn't have the type of mobility that could salvage plays from utter disaster.

You honestly need some scrub like Josh Allen to get out of that garbage.

I don't think Josh Allen or Minshew will pan out long term, but at least they know how to play backyard football.

The Bengals are the worst team in the league at 'backyard football' (IMO)
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 09:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Who's giving up?

I think Pratt will eventually play and Williams if he comes back will play.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 04:46 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The Bengals need to expand the draft department personnel and get someone other than Tobin as GM

Nah.. Tobin cemented himself to this so called team for life. I doubt the Brown family will ever fire him. 
We could pray for a MASSIVE flood to nail ownership and Tobin in one swoop but it would probably take half the city with it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 04:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It hurts we took Ross 1 pick ahead of Mahomes. Of course here, Mahomes probably would have not developed.

Mahomes is a generational talent he would succeed anywhere. Many analysts are saying he is most talented QB ever
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 04:39 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I honestly have to ask you what you have been watching when it comes to the defensive line? They do collapse the pocket and they do there Job in the running game. 

No they don't. They constantly get little to no pressure and don't seal the edges properly ever. 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 09:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m definitely not suggesting giving up addressing the OL. But we’ve gone OL back to back years in the 1st, and 3 out of the last 5. We have to take care of other needs as well. Especially QB, if we’re picking this high. Go OL and LB the rest of the way if need be.

I get the frustration but you have to let the board do the work for you. If a LT is the best player on the board then take him.  
There probably going to be 5 to 6 first RD QBs to be taken this upcoming  draft we can always move back into the first to take one. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 01:33 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I get the frustration but you have to let the board do the work for you. If a LT is the best player on the board then take him.  
There probably going to be 5 to 6 first RD QBs to be taken this upcoming  draft we can always move back into the first to take one. 

No thanks. The last time we moved back we ended up with Billy Price...

The last time we picked top 5? AJ Green.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 02:53 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Drafting a QB and hoping he becomes Mahomes is an idealistic approach that will
Ultimately fail us. Now this isn't a pro Dalton or let's not draft a QB early thread because I think it is time to move on from him.( I think it will be beneficial for both parties)
Also I don't think the Bengals approach is all that terrible in acquiring talent but it does need some tinkering ( like actually signing a top free agent once in a while).
If this team is going to be yearly championship contender it's going to be able to be brave and take more risks.
Here are some things I would suggest that could make us a contender next season.
1.) Decide wether your major free agents are apart of your future plans or not. I am looking at Billings, Green, and Hopkins. If they are then sign them before the off season starts if not then trade them at the deadline.
2.) Trim the fat; cut Glenn, Hart, P.Brown, Kirkpatrick, S.Willams, B Webb, and trade Dalton( should get you a 4th or 3rd Rd pick)
3.) Sign two starters in free agency hopefully at LB & RT. Two guys I am looking at it Brian Bulaga RT from Green Bay & Cory Littleton from the Rams.
4.) Sign some locker room guys in free agency.
5.) Trade back for multiple picks in the draft especially if we have a top 3 pick.

Huh! Shocked
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 08:15 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Huh! Shocked

Looking at there methods of building threw the draft and not signing major free agents every year is not a bad way to go.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:15 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No thanks. The last time we moved back we ended up with Billy Price...

The last time we picked top 5? AJ Green.

Worded wrong I meant trade to get back into the first for a QB.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 09:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Who's giving up?

waiting to be healthy enough to play...  Wasn't hurt when drafted...  not something can really predict happening.

do agree sample is a wasted pick if we aren't gonna use him.   He was suppose to be a key piece of the offense zac was installing.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 12:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: waiting to be healthy enough to play...  Wasn't hurt when drafted...  not something can really predict happening.

do agree sample is a wasted pick if we aren't gonna use him.   He was suppose to be a key piece of the offense zac was installing.

Sample and Bernard have been utilized WAY LESS than I thought...
Reply/Quote