Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop
(09-17-2018, 12:55 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Come on Freddie ... the point is their owner didn't hang on to HCs that didn't cut the mustard!!

The Eagles also fired a coach that won a Super Bowl with another team before they did.
Reply/Quote
8. None of the above and no other. This is their year
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Eagles also fired a coach that won a Super Bowl with another team before they did.

Head Coach??
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you will laugh if the Bengals don't make the playoffs?  Fans like you disgust me.

Fans like you have also been wrong many times.  I remember when guys like you said we would never make the playoffs because "history proves we won't".  Then you claimed we could not make the playoffs in consistently because "history proves we won't".

If you are really interested in history tell me how many Super Bowls the Eagles had won before last year.

So lighten up son and come on down and get a good 'ole bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken and just enjoy the moment!

fixed it for ya!
Reply/Quote
There is a 60-some% chance Bengals make the playoffs as they are 2-0, and Marvin has proven to be a decent regular season coach.

They also have veterans in key spots like QB, WR, DL, LT, LB (eventually) which goes a long ways. But also meshes well with younger guys at rb, dbs.

All the pieces seem to be in place to make a serious run to make the playoffs. But once they get there, they are handicapped with Marvin.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Bengalguy - I hear you. I've been on this train since 68 too. But the other thing I've done is been on this and the old board a while and spend more team reading then posting. This board is like having a wife. When she's happy don't do anything to piss her off. And when things start to sour and you say "I told you so" you're still wrong. Listen - I ate my crow stew and humble pie over the weekend because I just couldn't see the O line being able to get it done last Thursday yet I was gently reminded that I really wasn't eating crow or humble pie because I wasn't happily washing it down with the kumbaya kool aid. Outside of all the bucket list things I'm working for and want for my family - one of the things I want to see most is for this team to win a superbowl. But like you sitting at 2-0 in a 16 game season I see more opportunity to fail than succeed. The O-line is terribly thin with plug and play parts and Driscolll would not be a comparable replacement for Dalton - that's my glass half empty thoughts. But to keep peace with my wife, I would submit to you that just maybe the first two opponents were better than I think and that the defense can overcome the hiccups of the offense should it ever get to that - the glass half full thoughts.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:40 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Just after 2 games, things in the AFC North couldn't be shaping up any better for this team.

Soooooo, history says, from 1991, this franchise will find a way to mess this up.

Which of the following do you feel will apply?

1.  Injuries
2.  Coaching Issues
3.  Defensive Issues
4.  Letting teams get 'under their skin' with ignorant penalties
5.  Young team inexperience
6.  All of the Above
7.  None of the Above (Other)

The other shoe will drop. Don't worry, they won't disappoint.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:11 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I would love to be wrong, but a 26 year history tells me different.

Laugh all you want, but I'll see you in January, we will see who's laughing then.  Cool

Why would you be laughing?   If you're right, that would mean the season didn't end well and that seems like nothing to even laugh about.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 03:13 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Head Coach??

Actually Vemiel may have quit instead of them firing him.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:11 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote:  I would love to be wrong, but a 26 year history tells me different.

Laugh all you want, but I'll see you in January, we will see who's laughing then.  Cool

Facepalm

Keep the faith
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:21 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Been positive thinking since 1968 GC.  The first 24 years was real easy because of the HC/Owner.

The last 26, not so much.

I will come back in January and belly up to the table with a bib on for a good buffet meal of crow if it is warranted .... just don't see it happening.

Yada Yada yada
Have been a fan since 68 as well and a season ticket holder for every single one of those 26 years you mentioned. 

Keep the faith or jump ship. Can understand if things are going bad but that is not the present scenario.
If somebody gets baptized but has a history of being wild and crazy do you just say, history says he is wild and crazy so why bother being baptized ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 01:13 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: So you admit you were wrong in 2013 and 2105, so 2 out of the last 5 years you have been wrong.  This roster and staff is so much different since 2015 i just don't agree with your premise at this point in time.

No, I wasn't wrong in either scenario.  2013 they laid an egg in the playoffs against the Chargers.

In 2015, Dalton broke his thumb (injury) and Hill, Burfict, and Jones laid eggs against the Steelers.

With that said.. numerous teams that start 2-0 don;t end up winning their division.  Pittsburgh has enough weapons to still be a major threat.. and Ravens are just one game back at 1-1 . 

Cool So .... you agree with me then?
So you are not clear in what you are predicting.. you are predicting after 2 wins, they will not win in the playoffs??  
winning a division is NOT FAILURE.. actually that is harder than winning a playoff game.. and NO i don;t agree with you because i don;t agree with your premise after two games and that you are attaching the past that has nothing to do with the present.  1996? what in gods name does that have any impact on the team... i guess if we want to debate Marvin era.. or but I can also debate how different this team is than pre Marvin era since 1996,,, around and around we go.  
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 06:21 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Yada Yada yada
Have been a fan since 68 as well and a season ticket holder for every single one of those 26 years you mentioned. 

Keep the faith or jump ship. Can understand if things are going bad but that is not the present scenario.
If somebody gets baptized but has a history of being wild and crazy do you just say, history says he is wild and crazy so why bother being baptized ?

I don't understand how a person can be a real fan of more than one NFL Team.

I just can't comprehend that......
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We will lose Dalton in the Rapture.

If when it happens he's covered in confetti and hoisting a Lombardi, then he's free to go.  After he hands it over to Mike, of course, who himself wouldn't be going anywhere.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually Vemiel may have quit instead of them firing him.

Who did Vermiel win a SB with as a HC??
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 07:38 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I don't understand how a person can be a real fan of more than one NFL Team.

I just can't comprehend that......

Simple.  If they play each other, Bengals first.

Just like college.  Ohio State fan FIRST, but also Gators as my son is an alumni from there.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 07:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you are not clear in what you are predicting.. you are predicting after 2 wins, they will not win in the playoffs??  
winning a division is NOT FAILURE.. actually that is harder than winning a playoff game.. and NO i don;t agree with you because i don;t agree with your premise after two games and that you are attaching the past that has nothing to do with the present.  1996? what in gods name does that have any impact on the team... i guess if we want to debate Marvin era.. or but I can also debate how different this team is than pre Marvin era since 1996,,, around and around we go.  

His name is Mike Brown.  
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 06:21 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Yada Yada yada

It seems like, by evidence of this thread alone, I'm not the only one who is hoping for the best for expecting the worst for the 27th straight year.  Jumping ship is NOT an option, but being a 'realist' is.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 05:23 PM)McC Wrote: Why would you be laughing?   If you're right, that would mean the season didn't end well and that seems like nothing to even laugh about.

Come on McC, read the whole thread, I already addressed this.  
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 08:11 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Simple.  If they play each other, Bengals first.

Just like college.  Ohio State fan FIRST, but also Gators as my son is an alumni from there.

Then you are a Bengal fan and also an Eagles fan. Sort of like adultery........or polygamy.

Vermeil won with the Rams.
Reply/Quote