Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop
(09-17-2018, 08:21 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Then you are a Bengal fan and also an Eagles fan. Sort of like adultery........or polygamy.

Vermeil won with the Rams.

Not at all.  My wife and son are Eagles fans, so I root for them too.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 07:38 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I don't understand how a person can be a real fan of more than one NFL Team.

I just can't comprehend that......

It can be done.  Been a Bengals fan since the late '70s, and a STH since PBS opened.  But, in my spare time, I'm a Lions fan as well. Being in different conferences is a big help, they only see each other (excluding pre-season) every four years.  In those game I root for the Bengals unless they are roadkill and a win would help the Lions.  But, even then, if it's in person (like last Christmas Eve at PBS), I still end up rooting for the Bengals.

There are a lot of similarities between the teams, actually:
  • Both teams are named after big cats
  • They're in adjacent states with both near I-75
  • No playoff wins for either team since the early '90s
  • Neither has won a Super Bowl
  • Both have long-suffering fan bases who deserve so much better 
  • Both teams run by inept, clueless, sperm-lucky decedents
So, yeah, it's possible.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Let me make this promise.

IF they win a playoff game or more, I will belly up to the crow buffet.

If they don't make the playoffs OR win a playoff game, I won't say a word about it in these forums.

I won't be celebrating, but I also won't be throwing things around the house or in here ranting, raving, and pointing fingers.

I will just chalk it up as 27 years in a row! Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 08:26 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: It can be done.  Been a Bengals fan since the late '70s, and a STH since PBS opened.  But, in my spare time, I'm a Lions fan as well. Being in different conferences is a big help, they only see each other (excluding pre-season) every four years.  In those game I root for the Bengals unless they are roadkill and a win would help the Lions.  But, even then, if it's in person (like last Christmas Eve at PBS), I still end up rooting for the Bengals.

So, yeah, it's possible.

Thank you A.L.!  

Although I did leave a team (Browns) in 1968, who had 4 championships, to come to an expansion team.  Yes 50 years later I'm glad I am now a Bengals fan, but still sitting in the same position I was in, in 1968 .... gave up 4 championship titles still waiting for one.
Reply/Quote
This is a dumb thread. And the timing of it is even worse. We're 2-0.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 12:17 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Lack of positive thinking by their fans.  Ninja

Mike Brown is almost gone judging from the fact that changes have been being made. And we all know that Mikey boy hates change of any kind, in any form.

Those 26 years have only one thing in common and that's Mikey boy Brown. As he fades away the team improves. It will continue to improve because Mike Brown cannot avoid the changes that father time brings and eventually Mike boy will be no more.

Reply/Quote
How about why the hammer will drop on the rest of the NFL? History has shown this defense is 7-8 points better with Burfict in the lineup. Injuries? You lost your Middle linebacker, center, starting safety, starting de at some point in the first two games. Bengals didn't miss a beat. 2-0.
This roster is close to the youngest in the NFL, it will only get better, not worse.
IMO this is the best Bengals team since the Super Bowl team of 88. Solid mix of super talented vets, and up and coming youngsters.
Take time and enjoy the smell of the fresh coffee in the morning, even if it gives you the runs in the afternoon. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 08:14 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: It seems like, by evidence of this thread alone, I'm not the only one who is hoping for the best for expecting the worst for the 27th straight year.  Jumping ship is NOT an option, but being a 'realist' is.

You know at the seasons end last year I was pessimistic just like you.

Wanted to draft one more  OL but other than that they did just about everything that I would have done in offseason and a little more. 

Going to be optimistic for now and apologize to all "the sky is falling again" folks. 

By the end maybe I will join you. But for now I am all in.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 08:26 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: It can be done.  Been a Bengals fan since the late '70s, and a STH since PBS opened.  But, in my spare time, I'm a Lions fan as well. Being in different conferences is a big help, they only see each other (excluding pre-season) every four years.  In those game I root for the Bengals unless they are roadkill and a win would help the Lions.  But, even then, if it's in person (like last Christmas Eve at PBS), I still end up rooting for the Bengals.

So, yeah, it's possible.

You and the OP are better evolved people than me, I guess.
Reply/Quote
http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/search/?type=post

You gotta love this, talk about a fan base in shambles!

The past means nothing, football is about now.
Reply/Quote
this year might be different because we have depth at most positions. even though I was skeptical of the hire out Terrel Austin seems to be an upgrade at defensive coordinator. After 2 games i'm sold on the hire. Marvin has improved on his game management as well. no longer abysmal now he has finally graduated to mediocre. plus Burfict returning is going to give defense a nice boost. our offensive line is no longer achilles heal offensively
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:40 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Just after 2 games, things in the AFC North couldn't be shaping up any better for this team.

Soooooo, history says, from 1991, this franchise will find a way to mess this up.

Which of the following do you feel will apply?

1.  Injuries
2.  Coaching Issues
3.  Defensive Issues
4.  Letting teams get 'under their skin' with ignorant penalties
5.  Young team inexperience
6.  All of the Above
7.  None of the Above (Other)

8. Pessimistic fans.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:40 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Just after 2 games, things in the AFC North couldn't be shaping up any better for this team.

Soooooo, history says, from 1991, this franchise will find a way to mess this up.

Which of the following do you feel will apply?

1.  Injuries
2.  Coaching Issues
3.  Defensive Issues
4.  Letting teams get 'under their skin' with ignorant penalties
5.  Young team inexperience
6.  All of the Above
7.  None of the Above (Other)

Just for fun, I'm gonna retort.

1.  Injuries: Every RB gets turf toe.
2.  Coaching Issues: Marving retires 1 week before we head to the playoffs.
3.  Defensive Issues: Burfinct gets suspended on every game on the very 1st play he's back for helmet to helmet hits.
4.  Letting teams get 'under their skin' with ignorant penalties. The Cle. Browns finally put a logo on their helmet that's somehow cool.
5.  Young team inexperience: Ross is officially given an extension title of 2 more years as part of the "young team inexperience leader"
6.  All of the Above: It all exacerbates into Mike Brown selling the team to Elon Musk.
7.  None of the Above (Other): They all groove into the Seize the Dey theme.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 12:32 AM)Beaker Wrote: 8. Pessimistic fans.

However true or not, this has no impact on 'how' they shoot themselves in the foot.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 07:38 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I don't understand how a person can be a real fan of more than one NFL Team.

I just can't comprehend that......

I root for the Vikings and Panthers when they're not playing the Bengals...

The Vikings, because my wife's family is from Minnesota.
The Panthers, because my dad moved to NC from PA the year before they became a team - Kerry Collins (Penn State) was their fist ever QB, so he's been a fan ever since.

Now, do I root for them with the same passion as I do the Bengals?  No way.
But, I can understand how it could happen.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 12:32 AM)Beaker Wrote: 8. Pessimistic fans.

9. Weak minded fans
Reply/Quote
I look at it like I really hope they win it all and if they do I'll be thrilled, but if unforeseen forces push them out of the picture I will pull out the great team motto of "Well, there's always next season!" and hope for the same thing I've hoped for since I was in grade school back when Elvis and the Beatles were still making the headlines. 
I've been following this team since day 1 and not once has their success nor failure changed my life one iota. 
That said,  there's no way to tell . Had they won the SB in 88 I MIGHT HAVE celebrated by going out to buy the winning lottery ticket and parlayed it into a vast fortune which is undoubtedly why my current source of income is social security instead of the vast fortune I passed up on in 1988..  See? I could have been your president and run on the ticket of a chicken in every pot if only the Bengals had won that game, but instead I was selling cable TV door to door that year and ran into Icky Woods while wondering "What's that big ol black dude doing out in this lily white neighborhood?" I knocked on his door anyway and sold him the whole cable package, HBO, Showtime and Cinemax! I never parlayed that sale into a vast fortune. It's all the Bengals fault   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 11:12 AM)sandwedge Wrote: 9. Weak minded fans

Nice try but this option does not apply!  NFL attendance is already down, and fans have no bearing on how the teams do.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 11:46 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Nice try but this option does not apply!  NFL attendance is already down, and fans have no bearing on how the teams do.

This isn't about fans attending games, it's about a couple of fans on a message board that wake up Sunday morning and are afraid the sky is falling....
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 08:14 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote:  Jumping ship is NOT an option, but being a 'realist' is.

The guys claiming to be "realists" have been proven wrong many times.  So they are not "realists".  Instead they are just "negative".

I don't care if you choose to be negative.  Just own it.
Reply/Quote