Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#WalkAway
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-23-2018, 10:26 PM)GMDino Wrote:

(07-25-2018, 02:59 PM)GMDino Wrote:

That's the issue with social media versus traditional media. Print, radio, television, you have to include some disclaimers from state to state saying who material is paid for by, and in some instance if you're using stock copy. 

Social media doesn't have that restriction. So you are free to lie as much as you want.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-25-2018, 03:17 PM)Benton Wrote: That's the issue with social media versus traditional media. Print, radio, television, you have to include some disclaimers from state to state saying who material is paid for by, and in some instance if you're using stock copy. 

Social media doesn't have that restriction. So you are free to lie as much as you want.

Which, not intuitively, is how it should be for the most part. To try to prevent the average joe from spreading misinformation (legally) would end up just controlling public discourse in general and probably discourage the free flow of information. However, there is still a need to prevent private interests from controlling public discourse on social media by steering the conversation in directions that serve their purpose. Definitely a complex issue with no easy fixes.
(07-25-2018, 03:23 PM)treee Wrote: Which, not intuitively, is how it should be for the most part. To try to prevent the average joe from spreading misinformation (legally) would end up just controlling public discourse in general and probably discourage the free flow of information. However, there is still a need to prevent private interests from controlling public discourse on social media by steering the conversation in directions that serve their purpose. Definitely a complex issue with no easy fixes.

It's an interesting conundrum as we go forward.

Established media has rules and laws, and you generally know the "who" behind everything. Outside of that, you've got the guy on the street corner who can say what he wants with fewer restrictions... but you still now the "who." With social media, that "who" is completely out the window. And in a lot of cases now, the influence from PACS and special interests takes the "who" out of things also.
(07-25-2018, 02:59 PM)GMDino Wrote:

A Republican running for county council did this. He took a "diversity" stock photo and photoshopped himself with all of the people as if they posed with him. When he got called out for it, he said that he never implied he took the photo with them...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-25-2018, 04:23 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A Republican running for county council did this. He took a "diversity" stock photo and photoshopped himself with all of the people as if they posed with him. When he got called out for it, he said that he never implied he took the photo with them...

Who are you going to believe?  Your own eye or that guy?

That the truth is so easily dismissed is sad.
(07-25-2018, 04:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: Who are you going to believe?  Your own eye or that guy?

That the truth is so easily dismissed is sad.

Yes, it is sad how easily the truth can be dismissed.  For example, when this waiter concocted his false racism story, just to gain sympathy on social media.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/waiter-faked-we-dont-tip-terrorist-note-on-receipt-restaurant-says/ar-AAAl8lj

Quote:A waiter at a Texas steakhouse made up the viral story about a customer leaving him a racist note, his employer said Monday. The story gained national attention after Khalil Cavil, a 20-year-old server for Saltgrass Steak House in Odessa, Texas, posted a now-deleted image of the receipt he claimed was left for him on July 14.

On the bill, Khalil's name was circled and the words, "we don't tip terrorist," were written at the top.
Cavil wrote in his post, which was deleted as of Tuesday morning: "I share this because I want people to understand that this racism, and this hatred still exists. Although, this is nothing new, it is still something that will test your faith." Cavil's Facebook page also appears to have been deleted.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-25-2018, 06:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, it is sad how easily the truth can be dismissed.  For example, when this waiter concocted his false racism story, just to gain sympathy on social media.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/waiter-faked-we-dont-tip-terrorist-note-on-receipt-restaurant-says/ar-AAAl8lj

Good example.  

If only conservatives could see it from Trump. Whatever
Is there anything false here? (...and this is just the tip of a mountain sized iceberg):

The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(08-13-2018, 03:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Is there anything false here? (...and this is just the tip of a mountain sized iceberg):

30 seconds in and they're calling Clinton encouraging people to promote equality as "civil unrest".
I also don't know if I can accept comparing BLM to the KKK or college kids wanting safe spaces to Jim Crow. Last I check BLM doesn't murder 
people and these safe spaces aren't enforced by law affecting 90% of white people. 

I stopped at that point. 

(08-13-2018, 03:44 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 30 seconds in and they're calling Clinton encouraging people to promote equality as "civil unrest".
I also don't know if I can accept comparing BLM to the KKK or college kids wanting safe spaces to Jim Crow. Last I check BLM doesn't murder 
people and these safe spaces aren't enforced by law affecting 90% of white people. 

I stopped at that point. 

You didn't miss much. Just more hyperbole and hate-filled rhetoric from the left, with a few death threats sprinkled in.  Smirk
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(08-13-2018, 03:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You didn't miss much. Just more hyperbole and hate-filled rhetoric from the left, with a few death threats sprinkled in.  Smirk

Were there clips of Ted Nugent saying people should shoot Obama and Hillary, Trump encouraging people to beat up protestors, or effigies of Obama being lynched?

I doubt anyone who thinks this video is clever was outraged by any of that. It just highlights the pathetic partisanship that possesses so many people. 

(08-13-2018, 03:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Is there anything false here? (...and this is just the tip of a mountain sized iceberg):

Pretty much every conclusion in that video is a complete lie.

Anyone who does not recognize the shift between the platforms of the Republican and Democratic Party since the 1960's is either completely ignorant of the facts or intentionally pushing white supremacist rhetoric.  Hint.  Check out the democrat/republican shift of power in the old south after the Civil Rights movement.

Democrats are not "domestic terrorists".  The democratic Party did not start BLM.  

Democrats have not "driven black people into the ground".  Do you realize how insulting these claims are to black people.  You are basically saying that black people all too stupid to know what is going on around them.  How can you call an entire race of people stupid without being a racist?
(08-13-2018, 03:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Were there clips of Ted Nugent saying people should shoot Obama and Hillary, Trump encouraging people to beat up protestors, or effigies of Obama being lynched?

I doubt anyone who thinks this video is clever was outraged by any of that. It just highlights the pathetic partisanship that possesses so many people. 

There were incidents like that with Obama, although far fewer (lets be honest here).

The vitriol aimed at Trump is unprecedented, and that's why you have a #WalkAway movement.

Shoot, it's why Trump was elected in the first place. People were emboldened by the media telling them what to think.
(08-14-2018, 12:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There were incidents like that with Obama, although far fewer (lets be honest here).

The vitriol aimed at Trump is unprecedented, and that's why you have a #WalkAway movement.

Shoot, it's why Trump was elected in the first place. People were emboldened by the media telling them what to think.

He takes a lot of heat...because he tries to generate it.  That's why he worked in the WWE.   Smirk

All seriousness aside he time versus saying Obama wasn't born in the United states seems like the opposite of what you said.  Maybe people need to look at all kinds of sources and not just think they are being "told what to think" because they disagree with the results.
(08-14-2018, 09:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: He takes a lot of heat...because he tries to generate it.  That's why he worked in the WWE.   Smirk

All seriousness aside he time versus saying Obama wasn't born in the United states seems like the opposite of what you said.  Maybe people need to look at all kinds of sources and not just think they are being "told what to think" because they disagree with the results.

The heat started the second he announced he was running for President.

He has done nothing to stop it, but to suggest he generates it all himself is...less than accurate.
(08-14-2018, 10:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The heat started the second he announced he was running for President.

He has done nothing to stop it, but to suggest he generates it all himself is...less than accurate.

You realize he was a VERY public figure long before he ran for President (again) in 2015...right?

His personality is to create controversy, insist he is always right, call anyone who opposes anything he says or does name, etc...

He is as divisive a person as there has ever been...let alone in politics.

I mean most people know he's a charlatan and conman, but some think he speaks the truth.  So pointing out how he lies (constantly) for example isn't vitriol...it's just the truth.  If the truth bothers his supporters/defenders I can't help that.
(08-14-2018, 12:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There were incidents like that with Obama, although far fewer (lets be honest here).

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I haven't seen more violence against Trump's likeness than I saw against Obama. There has certainly been more violence at protests, but the blame has been shared equally between far right and far left groups. 

Also, the #WalkAway movement is not some organic thing that liberals are doing. People switch political affiliation all of the time. In this case, most of the twitter accounts retweeting the hashtag are linked to Pro-Trump accounts or Russian accounts. The cool thing about twitter is there are a ton of tools to see how these things start and are spread:

https://arcdigital.media/pro-trump-russian-linked-twitter-accounts-are-posing-as-ex-democrats-in-new-astroturfed-movement-20359c1906d3

There is also the fact that the memes being shared are fake and used stock photos. 

(08-14-2018, 12:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The vitriol aimed at Trump is unprecedented, and that's why you have a #WalkAway movement.

There is no #walkaway "movement".  It is a scam that is being spread by Pro-Trump and Russian accounts to make it look like a "movement".

The vitriol aimed at Trump is unprecedented because Trumps behavior as both a candidate and President are unprecedented.  All he does is attack and personally insult anyone who disagrees with him.  The amount of lies he spreads is unprecedented compared to other Presidents and politicians.
(08-14-2018, 11:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: You realize he was a VERY public figure long before he ran for President (again) in 2015...right?

His personality is to create controversy, insist he is always right, call anyone who opposes anything he says or does name, etc...

He is as divisive a person as there has ever been...let alone in politics.

I mean most people know he's a charlatan and conman, but some think he speaks the truth.  So pointing out how he lies (constantly) for example isn't vitriol...it's just the truth.  If the truth bothers his supporters/defenders I can't help that.

Yeah I remember how Bush was flamed in a similar manner by Hollywood, musicians and the media, so...

And tbh, Trump wasn't exactly compared to Hitler prior to running, either. I don't recall anyone dropping the racist bomb on him prior to 2016, and he's always been a very public figure.

(08-14-2018, 11:29 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm going to have to disagree with this. I haven't seen more violence against Trump's likeness than I saw against Obama. There has certainly been more violence at protests, but the blame has been shared equally between far right and far left groups. 

Also, the #WalkAway movement is not some organic thing that liberals are doing. People switch political affiliation all of the time. In this case, most of the twitter accounts retweeting the hashtag are linked to Pro-Trump accounts or Russian accounts. The cool thing about twitter is there are a ton of tools to see how these things start and are spread:

https://arcdigital.media/pro-trump-russian-linked-twitter-accounts-are-posing-as-ex-democrats-in-new-astroturfed-movement-20359c1906d3

There is also the fact that the memes being shared are fake and used stock photos. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/walkaway-campaign-stock-photos/

Well there is the problem that the people heading #WalkAway didn't make those memes using stock photos.

Quote:"I don’t know who created the memes. I first saw them within the last week. Anything officially released by the #WalkAway Campaign will bear our “branding” and trademark. Many people are excited and energized about #WalkAway, and in this excitement have created their own materials which are not approved or condoned by the official #WalkAway Campaign."

"#WalkAway will exist beyond social media but currently does not. It is an LLC, and will exist soon as a non-profit, but currently we are building toward this." - Brandon Straka, the founder of the movement

Quote:These memes have nothing 2do w/ the #WalkAway Campaign. They’re being circulated by the left as evidence that #WalkAway is paid actors. ???
So, in a rare moment of agreement, I am on the same page as those on the left- this is fake. These r not from the #WalkAwayCampaign. pic.twitter.com/nN3kNlBAsr

— Brandon Straka (The Unsilent Minority) (@usminority) July 24, 2018