Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Walton cut
(04-07-2019, 01:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks?round=6

Damn, that is a lot of picks. Guess i better add a couple more to my Mock lol

Need to trade some of these.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 02:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No, everyone did not see that, i didn't call for Peerman to be the starter. Are you saying that i was?

All i am saying is Hill was better than Walton last Preseason and it is the truth.

Walton was just plain terrible. Not saying Hill is a great player, just that he played better than Walton which is the truth.

You are just trying to start another stupid argument Fred. I just don't feel like it right now.

All I am saying is that expert talent evaluators who see hundreds of reps in practice knowing exactly what a RBs assignment is on every play might know a little more than fans who saw him make THREE good runs and ONE good reception in 4 preseason games against sketchy comeptition. 

I don't know if you were one of the ones who said Peermen should be a starter but you were the one who lumped yourself into "everyone".  You guys always brag about when you think you were correct but then deny all the times you were wrong.  I have been around long enough to remember when fans ripped Justin Smith, claimed Whitworth should be moved to OG because he could not handle speed rushers, claimed Leon hall was too slow to play CB, and scried about how starting Pekop was proof that the Bengals did not even care about winning.

Brian Hill will be lucky to make an NFL roster this year.  
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 03:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All I am saying is that expert talent evaluators who see hundreds of reps in practice knowing exactly what a RBs assignment is on every play might know a little more than fans who saw him make THREE good runs and ONE good reception in 4 preseason games against sketchy comeptition. 

I don't know if you were one of the ones who said Peermen should be a starter but you were the one who lumped yourself into "everyone".  You guys always brag about when you think you were correct but then deny all the times you were wrong.  I have been around long enough to remember when fans ripped Justin Smith, claimed Whitworth should be moved to OG because he could not handle speed rushers, claimed Leon hall was too slow to play CB, and scried about how starting Pekop was proof that the Bengals did not even care about winning.

Hill still clearly out played Walton in last year's pre-season no matter how you slice it. And come the regular season Walton sucked just as bad as he did in pre-season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 03:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All I am saying is that expert talent evaluators who see hundreds of reps in practice knowing exactly what a RBs assignment is on every play might know a little more than fans who saw him make THREE good runs and ONE good reception in 4 preseason games against sketchy comeptition. 

Whatever Fred, i admit when i am wrong. You are clearly confusing me with someone else and lumping me into a crowd...

(04-07-2019, 03:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hill still clearly out played Walton in last year's pre-season no matter how you slice it. And come the regular season Walton sucked just as bad as he did in pre-season.

Exactly.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 01:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: On a personal level I really do feel bad for the guy. His life has been filled with grief and despair.. I truly hope he gets his life together in or out of football. People really can lead meaningful lives without football and I hope he can become one of them. 
As for the Bengals...They made the right move cutting him. I hope he finds happiness somewhere along the way and can find a way to stay out of prison and without the law constantly on his back. Perhaps a  teammate(s) will step up and help him find his way in life.. 

Who are you and what have you done with gramps?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2019, 03:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hill still clearly out played Walton in last year's pre-season no matter how you slice it. And come the regular season Walton sucked just as bad as he did in pre-season.

You are correct, just because no one wanted Hill, doesn't mean that the Bengals made the right decision either.  There's a chance no one wanted Walton either.  You add in the off field issues, and it's CLEAR that no one else will want him.  

Fans can be wrong, but so can teams.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
well Walton sure didn't make this decision a hard one for us.....
Reply/Quote
the Bengals scouts and coaches to a degree have be habitual repeaters of being wrong in judging talent.
just because they labor hours and hours over
film study and reps in practice doesnt make them right %100.
look at the Browns...how many draft picks did they whiff pre Dorsey.?
last year it was clear Nickerson Core and the one OG should not have been on the field after showcasing ineptness
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 10:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: Fans can be wrong, but so can teams.

I agree 100%.  Problem is some fans act like the Bengals are constantly playing the wrong guys, but the fan favorites never amount to anything when they go to other teams.

I could post a VERY long list of scrubs that were fan favorites, yet we still have fans who claim it was "obvious to everyone" the Bengals were wrong for not playing them.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree 100%.  Problem is some fans act like the Bengals are constantly playing the wrong guys, but the fan favorites never amount to anything when they go to other teams.

I could post a VERY long list of scrubs that were fan favorites, yet we still have fans who claim it was "obvious to everyone" the Bengals were wrong for not playing them.

That is true as well.....no doubt.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree 100%.  Problem is some fans act like the Bengals are constantly playing the wrong guys, but the fan favorites never amount to anything when they go to other teams.

Then there's always examples of the player (Thorton) going to the coaches and telling them to play the other guy, he's better (Pat Sims).

Not every player it designed for every scheme, so when they leave here and go to a different one, they might struggle.

Fans will always pull for an underdog. It's just the way it goes, and I don't think anyone is saying xx should be given the starting job over someone else, problem is many feel they ddn't get a fair opportunity whether that's on Marvin or Mike, not sure.

Even Peerman didn't get an opportunity to shine here as a number 2 RB, ended up making his mark on ST and you know he ran a 4.34 40 time right? And Peerman was one of those fan favorites from another team that bounced around and managed to end up as a Pro-Bowler here. So while you're harping on scrubs, he was indeed a scrub that managed to find a role and excel.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 02:19 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Then there's always examples of the player (Thorton) going to the coaches and telling them to play the other guy, he's better (Pat Sims).

One example from over ten years ago and people still don't remember the real story.  Thornton did not tell Marvin to bench him.  Thornton was just getting more snaps at DE because one of our starters was injured.  He told Marvin that sims could handle some more snaps inside at DT when he was playing DE.

(04-08-2019, 02:19 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote:  I don't think anyone is saying xx should be given the starting job over someone else, 

Uh, yeah, that is EXACTLY what a ton of people here are saying all the time.  Christian Westerman has never played more than 60% of the snaps in a Bengals game in his entire career yet there is a huge crowd that will tell you that he should be starting even though 2 different O-line coaches have said differently.  Somehow it is "obvious" to everyone even though they have never even seen him play a full game.
Reply/Quote

Is their still hope for my tom nelson jersey?
Reply/Quote
I'd take Benny Snell after the 2nd round if he is there.....

Reply/Quote

There is a long list. There are also players who did do well elsewhere though.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 08:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: There is a long list. There are also players who did do well elsewhere though.

Clinton McDonald has had a fine career. Sucks we traded him for Kelly Jennings. Man did we ever lose that trade. 

McDonald actually has 3 seasons with at least 5 sacks.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 02:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd take Benny Snell after the 2nd round if he is there.....

I would too, but he won't be. Benny is ready to come in and light it up as a starting RB in this league. While RB's are a dime a dozen, he is one of the rare talents.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 02:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: One example from over ten years ago and people still don't remember the real story.  Thornton did not tell Marvin to bench him.  Thornton was just getting more snaps at DE because one of our starters was injured.  He told Marvin that sims could handle some more snaps inside at DT when he was playing DE.

That was exactly the case, not to mention the season was lost and Sims needed to get his legs under him, Thornton merely named him to get more reps than someone else who was on the team that could have gotten them.

(04-08-2019, 02:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Is their still hope for my tom nelson jersey?

If he stayed and extra 2 seasons with the team, I probably would've gotten his jersey; not the best run player, but man could he cover for a safety and he was a baller on teams.

(04-08-2019, 08:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: There is a long list. There are also players who did do well elsewhere though.

As there will be with every team, no doubt.

There are a ton of reasons for people to have their personal favourites; they know them, they went to the same school as them, they are local guys, etc.

Thus, its understandable for others to root for these guys, however the chances of a scrub here being a stud somewhere else, are always significantly against them.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 08:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I would too, but he won't be. Benny is ready to come in and light it up as a starting RB in this league. While RB's are a dime a dozen, he is one of the rare talents.

There's a few mocks I've seen on the Athletic that had him going undrafted.  Say What
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2019, 08:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I would too, but he won't be. Benny is ready to come in and light it up as a starting RB in this league. While RB's are a dime a dozen, he is one of the rare talents.

Are you sure about that?  His draft/combine grade was 5.34, says has a chance to be a backup or special teamer.  His 4.66 40 time is a bit of a detriment, as well.  From what I've been reading, we could likely pick him up with one of our 6th round picks.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote