Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to see more of dawson.
Really want this kid to see some more action. Think he plays with the same kind of fire as vontaze.
Reply/Quote
He can't be worse than Lamur...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 12:39 AM)Joelist Wrote: He can't be worse than Lamur...

Exactly. I think if he gets the chance to adjust to the speed of the nfl game, he takes off. Really like the film in watch on dawson. Really want him playing when vontaze gets back.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 12:39 AM)Joelist Wrote: He can't be worse than Lamur...

Yes he can.  In fact Dawson has played this year and he has not looked good at all.

From the amnount of hype Dawson gets around here you would think he was a first round pick.  The fact is that it is rare for 4th round picks to step in and be solid starters their rookie season.
Reply/Quote
I like the kids fire but dont know if he's ready to contribute just yet, the only way to find out though is to get him some PT, trial by fire!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 07:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes he can.  In fact Dawson has played this year and he has not looked good at all.

From the amnount of hype Dawson gets around here you would think he was a first round pick.  The fact is that it is rare for 4th round picks to step in and be solid starters their rookie season.

yeah its impossible for late round picks to do good, glad we took Burfict with our 1st round pick.. oh wait
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 07:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes he can.  In fact Dawson has played this year and he has not looked good at all.

Luckily we took Dawson in the 3rd round.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Typical Marvin protecting his rookies from playing time.

As we get deeper into the season, we'll see more of Dawson and less of Lamur.

I am not sure what the status of Vincent Rey is, but if he is injured this week, I'd expect Dawson to start in his place. Although, against the Steelers, we probably aren't going 3 LBs very often, so it may not even matter.

Hopefully he gets more playing time but, as with all Marvin Lewis rookies, you just gotta give it time. The only rookies to start from week 1 since 2010 have been Kevin Zeitler, AJ Green and Andy Dalton. At least to my memory.
Reply/Quote
Russell Bodine started last year

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 10:22 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote:  The only rookies to start from week 1 since 2010 have been Kevin Zeitler, AJ Green and Andy Dalton. At least to my memory.

Gresham
Bodine

That is 5 in 5 years.  Most good teams don't have a lot of rookie starters.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 10:00 AM)Element Wrote: yeah its impossible for late round picks to do good, glad we took Burfict with our 1st round pick.. oh wait

I never said anything like this.  Please address the comments I actually make instead of creating straw men to knock down.  All I said was that it was rare for fourth round picks to make immediate impact. 

First of all Dawson was taken in the third round.  I keep thinking of him as a fourth rounder because he was our fourth pick and we didn't get him until the 35th pick after every other team had made their third round selection.  So from now on instead of saying "third round" or "fourth round" I will just say "taken that low (99th)".

Even though our fourth rounder from 2014 started every game (Bodine) it is still rare for many players taken that low (99th) to play a lot as a rookie.  But there are a lot of people hear who think he would have an immediate impact.  All I am saying is that if it was that obvious then he probably would have been taken a little higher in the draft.

I never said it was impossible for a guy taken that low to have an immediate impact.  I just said it was not that common.
Reply/Quote
I like Dawson, i think he will be good down the road. He is just a football player, atleast he was in
college. He was always around the ball and has great instincts, but so far this season he has not
impressed me even on ST's. I expect this to change as the year goes on and we will see more
playing time from him and he will get much better, he will struggle, but Lamur has struggled at
times, not as much as last year, but at times Lamur has struggled.

Lamur does look much better than last year though and his size and speed are rare.

I just wish he would of become that player i wanted and expected.

Also with Vinny Rey being dinged up we should see more of Dawson.
Reply/Quote
Please don't go all Jon Gruden with the...

"HE'S A FOOTBALL PLAYER!  JUST A FOOTBALL PLAYER!"

We know that, he plays football, makes him a football player.
[Image: sig2.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 10:22 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Hopefully he gets more playing time but, as with all Marvin Lewis rookies, you just gotta give it time. The only rookies to start from week 1 since 2010 have been Kevin Zeitler, AJ Green and Andy Dalton. At least to my memory.

As Fred said...
- Bodine
- Gresham

But also forgotten are...

- Eifert
- Boling

So 7 in 5 years starting Week 1. I think that's actually a pretty good number if you look around the league at non-basement dwelling teams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Where are you getting this from?  He has a VERY small sample size.  Like Burfict, PJ was a first round talent that slipped to a later round (I know Burfict wasn't drafted at all) and I think he could be a very solid contributor if given a chance.

The Bengals still run over 2/3rds of their defense out of nickel.  Dawson played in a unique defense at TCU that showed his athleticism and instincts.  One scout said "I have never seen the kid take a false step". 

Lamur, though an athletic freak, has zero instincts.  Look at the very first play against Buffalo where he vacated his zone, rushed to the middle, and McCoy blew 40 yards past where he started. 

Dawson deserves a chance.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 10:22 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The only rookies to start from week 1 since 2010 have been Kevin Zeitler, AJ Green and Andy Dalton. At least to my memory.

Ryan Hewitt.  Russell Bodine.  Clint Boling.  Tyler Eifert. 

And there have been lots more that were solid contributors their rookie seasons, although they didn't "start":

Gio
Hill
MLJ
Sanu
Dennard
Burfict (UDFA, but still a rookie)

It isn't so much as me thinking he is better than Lamur or Hawk, but having him prepared for some game action in case of injury.  Why didn't he start playing with the Bengals up 31-14 last week?  Lamur got his first real game action in a playoff game.  Totally unprepared.  I would like to see Dawson get some snaps.  That's all.
Reply/Quote
I like Dawson's potential, but I'm having a hard time thinking of anything he's done up to this point to justify wanting to give him more playing time just yet.

Most rookies who make it onto the field are either due to a complete hole in the roster (Bodine and Hewitt), or have rarified physical gifts that offset the learning curve of the NFL (Eifert and Green)... The book on Dawson is that he makes up for a lack of speed with tremendous instincts. I think he needs to demonstrate a commanding knowledge of the defense for those instincts to come into play.
Reply/Quote
Might be asking too much to make him a starter at this point. He's listed as a WLB behind Vinnie Rey.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2015, 03:09 PM)WhoDeyLeisure Wrote: Please don't go all Jon Gruden with the...

"HE'S A FOOTBALL PLAYER!  JUST A FOOTBALL PLAYER!"

We know that, he plays football, makes him a football player.

Lol, i just meant he has great instincts, similar to Burfict and is always around the ball.

Thats what he did in college anyways. He didn't have the athleticism and work ethic that some players have
but he just has a lot of what you cannot coach. He has a lot of what comes to being a good football player
naturally. We will see if that translates to the pros cause we know how much faster the game is.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see more of Dawson as well, but the rumor is that he doesn't practice well. This team doesn't care if you play lights out during the games, you need to show up in practice and earn the right to play. This happened to Dunlap in his rookie year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote