Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was I discriminated against?
Something someone else said in some other thread made me remember something I once experienced some time ago in my past.

We've had many discussions on both sites in the PnR subforums over many types of discrimination. Oftentimes, the focal point of these discussions was whether something or not was truly racial discrimination or sexual orientation discrimination.

I offer up evidence that I was discriminated against, but not in any manner that was technically illegal (I was not discriminated due to my religion, sex, race, age, or sexual orientation; at least, not without some brad-esque word twisting).

Anyway, back in my younger days, I worked at a fast food restaurant (let's call it DickMonald's). I noticed one day that anyone that smoked, during the slower times of the day, could take a "smoke break" - a break to go smoke a cigarette; usually took about 5-10 minutes. However, at no time, could I take any equivalent break except for my legally mandated lunch and "coffee" breaks of which the smokers also got. I even suggested we could take a "coke break" where us non-smokers could go for 5 minutes to a drink a coke (yeah, not THAT kind of coke break; I was more naive back then). I was shot down every time. I even pointed out how it was unfair, but considering that all the managers were smokers ...

So, I was discriminated against, correct? Should this form of discrimination be illegal (I'm not making that claim, just asking the question)? What would YOU have done? If I had taken this to court, COULD I have had a case? Would I even have a chance at winning? Why do some people dress up their pets to look like people?

Thoughts?
[Image: giphy.gif]
I have worked at places that allowed "smoke breaks" but everyone who did not smoke were allowed the same amount of time on break.  Since I did not smoke I always used the time to jack off in the bathroom.

All joking aside.  Everyplace I worked that allowed smoke breaks gave everyone the same amount of break time.
If you're Caucasian/White then you were just being a little Whiney *****, suck it up and take it like a man.

If you are any other Race/Color or a woman, yes you were discriminated against and a victim of corporate greed never seen before.
(06-21-2016, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have worked at places that allowed "smoke breaks" but everyone who did not smoke were allowed the same amount of time on break.  Since I did not smoke I always used the time to jack off in the bathroom.

All joking aside.  Everyplace I worked that allowed smoke breaks gave everyone the same amount of break time.

Two pump chump, eh?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-21-2016, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have worked at places that allowed "smoke breaks" but everyone who did not smoke were allowed the same amount of time on break.  Since I did not smoke I always used the time to jack off in the bathroom.

Nope, never gave us non-smokers the same amount of break time. I was more acquiescent.

I forgot to mention that all the managers were women (seriously).

(06-21-2016, 12:37 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: If you're Caucasian/White then you were just being a little Whiney *****, suck it up and take it like a man.

If you are any other Race/Color or a woman, yes you were discriminated against and a victim of corporate greed never seen before.

I'm a white african-american korean woman that identifies as a chinese black caucasian man.  Mellow

Hah... funny you bring this up !
First, I work in a union factory that was owned by Phillip Morris for years.
Smokers were allowed faaaar more break time.
I declared that I deserved the same amount of break time ( in a formal meeting).
I was told no, as I was not a smoker.
I chirped that I had an equally chronic habit that I felt that was just as important.
Of course they asked and I exclaimed "Chronic Masturbation !".
Not one more word was uttered and extra "bathroom breaks" became the norm.
I'm not sure why management rolls their eyes, every time I request a meeting.
LOL
Sounds to me you had shitty managers who were more worried about their cigarettes than team morale.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(06-21-2016, 12:50 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Sounds to me you had shitty managers who were more worried about their cigarettes than team morale.

Pretty much.

They're required by law to give you breaks (thanks progressives!). If they gave them to smokers and not non-smokers, you should have told your boss you preferred other people to work more.

I've had smokers who worked for me. If there's down time, I don't care if they went and burnt one (I used to smoke). But I've never stopped a non-smoker from going with them (which happened a lot). Why? Cause I'm not a crap boss.
yeah the smokers here can only smoke on their two 15's and their lunch

no extras

now when i worked at circuit city, there were smoke breaks, but those of us in the warehouse just took those breaks with our supervisor as well, because if he was outside smokin, we werent gonna be inside workin
People suck
(06-21-2016, 12:50 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Sounds to me you had shitty managers who were more worried about their cigarettes than team morale.

The head manager was actually alright. She was pretty cool. The rest, not so much.

Now that I think about I was once discriminated based upon my gender. I remember I was told to go to the basement (where the freezer was) and bring up some more burger patties. I asked why my co-worker (who was female) couldn't do it as she was standing there doing nothing and I was in the middle of some other task. i was told that she couldn't because she was a girl. To which I replied, "What?" "Yeah, if she were to lift heavy things, it would mess with her menstrual cycle." I swear to you that's exactly what one of the managers said to me, God's honest truth. 

I actually did the research later and found out that, no, it would NOT mess with her menstrual cycle. If she were to become a weightlifter or to generally lift heavy objects on a regular basis, then yeah, her menstrual cycle MIGHT become irregular, but no, lifting one 10-20 lb box of burger patties is not going to do a thing to her except get her off her lazy ass.
If you belonged to a union you could could probably claim discrimination and have it brought up to a higher up.

We are non-union here but the guys have set break times and lunch times.  The smokers are allowed to burn one if they feel the need and they are caught up.  the non-smokers are given leeway without calling it a "break" the same way.

Management should be fair about these things.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-21-2016, 01:07 PM)GMDino Wrote: If you belonged to a union you could could probably claim discrimination and have it brought up to a higher up.

We are non-union here but the guys have set break times and lunch times.  The smokers are allowed to burn one if they feel the need and they are caught up.  the non-smokers are given leeway without calling it a "break" the same way.

Did fast food chains like McDonald's have unions back in the early 90s? I wasn't part of one nor was given the chance to be a part if there was one.
(06-21-2016, 12:32 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Something someone else said in some other thread made me remember something I once experienced some time ago in my past.

We've had many discussions on both sites in the PnR subforums over many types of discrimination. Oftentimes, the focal point of these discussions was whether something or not was truly racial discrimination or sexual orientation discrimination.

I offer up evidence that I was discriminated against, but not in any manner that was technically illegal (I was not discriminated due to my religion, sex, race, age, or sexual orientation; at least, not without some brad-esque word twisting).

Anyway, back in my younger days, I worked at a fast food restaurant (let's call it DickMonald's). I noticed one day that anyone that smoked, during the slower times of the day, could take a "smoke break" - a break to go smoke a cigarette; usually took about 5-10 minutes. However, at no time, could I take any equivalent break except for my legally mandated lunch and "coffee" breaks of which the smokers also got. I even suggested we could take a "coke break" where us non-smokers could go for 5 minutes to a drink a coke (yeah, not THAT kind of coke break; I was more naive back then). I was shot down every time. I even pointed out how it was unfair, but considering that all the managers were smokers ...

So, I was discriminated against, correct? Should this form of discrimination be illegal (I'm not making that claim, just asking the question)? What would YOU have done? If I had taken this to court, COULD I have had a case? Would I even have a chance at winning? Why do some people dress up their pets to look like people?

Thoughts?

just tell them you need a smoke break and go outside for 10 minutes its none of their business if you do actually smoke. but generally even when I worked at the place you named.. everyone got a few breaks here or there if they asked for it. Managers liked me so I could smoke in the manager office while working the drive thru line... until the law passed but I was long gone from mcDs by then

Used chew when working somewhere you couldn't smoke...
(06-21-2016, 01:07 PM)GMDino Wrote: If you belonged to a union you could could probably claim discrimination and have it brought up to a higher up.

The money he would be paying in Union dues would far outweigh the 5 minute smoke break.   

It's minimum wage/fast food.   Deal with it, it's only 5 minutes.   
When I was a kid we had a "smoking area" in High School. Kids that smoked could go outside between classes and during lunch to smoke. To be allowed to do this, you had to have a "smoker's badge" (no, not the type Fred has) and to get this badge you had to have a note from your parents saying it was OK.

I always thought that it was unfair that folks just couldn't go outside if they wanted to. My parents signed the slip just so I could go outside.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-21-2016, 01:16 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The money he would be paying in Union dues would far outweigh the 5 minute smoke break.   

It's minimum wage/fast food.   Deal with it, it's only 5 minutes.   

He'd also be making a higher wage thanks to the Union.

However you sound like a joy to work for.   Mellow
(06-21-2016, 01:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: He'd also be making a higher wage thanks to the Union.

you have to pass a strict test if you wanna work at Lucies 7/11
People suck
(06-21-2016, 01:29 PM)Griever Wrote: you have to pass a strict test if you wanna work at Lucies 7/11

I'd dress appropriately.

Smirk
(06-21-2016, 01:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'd dress appropriately.

Smirk

he has gaydar though
People suck
(06-21-2016, 01:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: He'd also be making a higher wage thanks to the Union.

unions will robb you blind....     Just say no to unions... lol 

The union only wants you to make a higher wage so they can take more of it.