Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was I discriminated against?
(06-21-2016, 12:32 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Something someone else said in some other thread made me remember something I once experienced some time ago in my past.

We've had many discussions on both sites in the PnR subforums over many types of discrimination. Oftentimes, the focal point of these discussions was whether something or not was truly racial discrimination or sexual orientation discrimination.

I offer up evidence that I was discriminated against, but not in any manner that was technically illegal (I was not discriminated due to my religion, sex, race, age, or sexual orientation; at least, not without some brad-esque word twisting).

Anyway, back in my younger days, I worked at a fast food restaurant (let's call it DickMonald's). I noticed one day that anyone that smoked, during the slower times of the day, could take a "smoke break" - a break to go smoke a cigarette; usually took about 5-10 minutes. However, at no time, could I take any equivalent break except for my legally mandated lunch and "coffee" breaks of which the smokers also got. I even suggested we could take a "coke break" where us non-smokers could go for 5 minutes to a drink a coke (yeah, not THAT kind of coke break; I was more naive back then). I was shot down every time. I even pointed out how it was unfair, but considering that all the managers were smokers ...

So, I was discriminated against, correct? Should this form of discrimination be illegal (I'm not making that claim, just asking the question)? What would YOU have done? If I had taken this to court, COULD I have had a case? Would I even have a chance at winning? Why do some people dress up their pets to look like people?

Thoughts?

That was a good example of Smoker's Privilege.