Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was OPI on AJ legit?
It was OPI, aj did it within 3ft of a ref. Easy call. Those are the nuances of the best players, knowing what refs can and can't see, and from where. Kobe mentality, it's not a foul if the refs don't see it.
Reply/Quote
It is one of those things that is frustrating as the CB should have been flagged for defensive holding, but AJ should know he can't fully extend the arm as it is OPI. With the DB holding him so tight, using a chicken wing technique and dropping an elbow to his chest would have gotten him the seperation he needed or drawn the flag on the corner. I think he was just frustrated with how blatant the holding was, but that's how it goes some times.
Reply/Quote
I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter. Chargers would have toted the ensuing kickoff to the crib if it wasn’t called.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 08:29 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter. Chargers would have toted the ensuing kickoff to the crib if it wasn’t called.

Idk about all that. ST played well.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2020, 08:29 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter. Chargers would have toted the ensuing kickoff to the crib if it wasn’t called.

Or win it in overtime had Bullock not shanked his kick. 
Reply/Quote
Now that I am calmer, I believe that while the call sucked and it wasn't fair that Mike Williams got away with a push earlier, it was a legit call.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 08:34 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I wasn't able to watch the game, so I had to follow the play-by-play text on phone.
I just need to know... was the OPI on AJ legit, or do I need to start ignoring the NFL, again?

No, it wasn't legit. A 6'4" receiver of AJG's ability does not need to push off, especially against a middling (at best) defender. And there were plenty of other similar instances in this game where it wasn't called. 
GO STRIPES!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 09:04 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: It was a ticky-tack call but AJ did push off.  Chargers DB saw the ref right there and flopped like a motherhuncher!  Ref didn't throw the flag until after the flop.

Charger DB had his hands around AJ's waist at the same time of the very minimal push-off.
Reply/Quote
I think the call was fair. What pisses me off is the inconsistency in which OPI is called. Literally watched Chase Claypool push off last night for a sideline catch and not a single flag thrown. Shocking that something goes the Steelers' way.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 03:47 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I think the call was fair.  What pisses me off is the inconsistency in which OPI is called.  Literally watched Chase Claypool push off last night for a sideline catch and not a single flag thrown.  Shocking that something goes the Steelers' way.

And that, therein, lies the real issue with the call as it's so inconsistent. Not an issue with 9 minutes left in 2nd quarter but by golly should it come down to crunch time they always seem to call it.
Reply/Quote
No it wasnt legit. Because the rule is not legit. Football was way more entertaining when WR's and CB's could be more physical. Sure the call fell within the pathetic rules, but the rule is pathetic in my humble and not very popular opinion. Plus as others have mentioned they let Mike Williams get away with it a few times. Then they call it when it decides the game. Refs....pfft.
Reply/Quote
It was legit by definition, but it was a football play and the flopping sold it. Tough way to lose. They should have run another play before Fat Randy was brought in.
Reply/Quote
You don't make that call in that situation,  esp after Mike Williams did it all day! Im not you sure if some of you guys are really Bengal fans..
Reply/Quote
He was turning too. It wasn't so much of a push as it was to get the Db off him. And it was within 5 yards. It was total BS..
Reply/Quote
By the rule book it was, but that call doesn't get called 9/10 times. Williams got away with that plenty earlier in the game.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 03:45 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Charger DB had his hands around AJ's waist at the same time of the very minimal push-off.

^This

If the DB doesn't have his hands on AJ (also a foul), then AJ never needs to push him off.

So, while technically AJ was in the wrong, at the least it should have been a double foul, or even called illegal use of hands by the DB before AJ even had to shove off.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Here's what I want to know: does AJ even need to push off? Consider that the pass was caught at the sideline with AJ needing to tippy toe his feet, does the defender have a chance at making a play on the ball or on AJ if Green does NOT push off?

Not that that really has an effect on the call being legitimate or not, just something I was wondering.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2020, 08:40 PM)ah5 Wrote: People are not mad because he pushed off... People are mad because williams pushed off all game not 1 called...

Sent from my BV9600 using Tapatalk

And the DB had Green locked up, also a penalty.  
Reply/Quote