Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was The Bengal Steelers Game Bad For The NFL ?
I saw this question on either ESPN or NFL Network. Thought your comments would be interesting. We could maybe include 2015 Bengals Steelers Play-off Game to this Monday Night Football Game of 2017 and ask if these are good for an NFL that claims it is interested in player safety and trying to cut down on major injuries. Your response to this TV question one of these sports networks discussed.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think the Shazier injury made the hits later in the game much worse. It wasn't good by any stretch.

The questionable officiating is a big turnoff for me.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 02:05 PM)kevin Wrote: I saw this question on either ESPN or NFL Network. Thought your comments would be interesting.  We could maybe include 2015 Bengals Steelers Play-off Game to this Monday Night Football Game of 2017 and ask if these are good for an NFL that claims it is interested in player safety and trying to cut down on major injuries. Your response to this TV question one of these sports networks discussed.

Suspend players for more games for helmet-to-helmet hits and I think you'll see players intentionally avoiding contact up high.
Example: Rather than 1-game suspension and then 3-game suspension, do 3-game, 6-game, 10-game, and 16-game. Have that carry over to the next season regardless if they change teams.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think they should put ink packs in the top of a defenders helmet so it explodes if they hit an offensive guy helmet to helmet and they have to play the rest of the game with ridiculous ink on them.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 02:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Suspend players for more games for helmet-to-helmet hits and I think you'll see players intentionally avoiding contact up high.
Example: Rather than 1-game suspension and then 3-game suspension, do 3-game, 6-game, 10-game, and 16-game. Have that carry over to the next season regardless if they change teams.

I think in game penalty needs to be larger too. How about playing with only 10 players for the remaining of that drive? HAHA! Why not, *ahem* hockey.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The NFL is a bunch of phonies. After the issues of the Wild Card game, if they really wanted to tamp down some of the animosity, they could have kept these as noon games. But the NFL wants the ratings the hatred between these two teams brings.

So they put it on at primetime at night, put up beer tents from NFL sponsors and encourage the fans to get drunk and wild, and then act surprised that the whole thing turns into a mess.

Theyre full of it. They love the ratings the carnage brings, but they like to wag their finger afterwards
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 02:21 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think in game penalty needs to be larger too. How about playing with only 10 players for the remaining of that drive? HAHA! Why not, *ahem* hockey.

I have often wondered about implementing hockey penalty methods to other sports. It would be interesting to see a team play shorthanded for X amount of time/plays.
Or at least removing said player for a certain amount of time while they have to play someone else in that position.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 02:21 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think in game penalty needs to be larger too. How about playing with only 10 players for the remaining of that drive? HAHA! Why not, *ahem* hockey.

Maybe another question needs to be, are these Bengals vs Steelers Games WORSE than other NFL games and are they getting bad for the NFL ?  Since ESPN or NFL Network wasn't talking about all the teams and games, but asking if the Bengals vs Steelers Game Monday Night was BAD FOR THE NFL ??? So was this game worse than other NFL games as sports network was saying. Are the Bengals Steelers games getting out of control last few years ?
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
ratings were 30% higher than last year's same week MNF game. And significantly higher than last week's game. Just like people tune into NASCAR for the wrecks people tune into Steelers=Bengals for the big hits.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 02:30 PM)kevin Wrote: Maybe another question needs to be, are these Bengals vs Steelers Games WORSE than other NFL games and are they getting bad for the NFL ?  Since ESPN or NFL Network wasn't talking about all the teams and games, but asking if the Bengals vs Steelers Game Monday Night was BAD FOR THE NFL ???   So was this game worse than other NFL games as sports network was saying.  Are the Bengals Steelers games getting out of control last few years ?

I did enjoy this game thoroughly, the Bengals looked like a playoff winning team in the 1st half, although my Steelers friend said the Steelers have been making lots of teams look good in the 1st half lol.

Take out the penalizing hits and it was a good game that I wish we had won.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If the game was bad for the NFL, why did they direct the officials to help out the Steelers?

Checkmate, atheists.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 02:30 PM)kevin Wrote: Maybe another question needs to be, are these Bengals vs Steelers Games WORSE than other NFL games and are they getting bad for the NFL ?  Since ESPN or NFL Network wasn't talking about all the teams and games, but asking if the Bengals vs Steelers Game Monday Night was BAD FOR THE NFL ??? So was this game worse than other NFL games as sports network was saying. Are the Bengals Steelers games getting out of control last few years ?
Yes. They are worse than other games. I guess the Aqib Talib and Michael Crabtree feud is pretty bad too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 02:05 PM)kevin Wrote: I saw this question on either ESPN or NFL Network. Thought your comments would be interesting.  We could maybe include 2015 Bengals Steelers Play-off Game to this Monday Night Football Game of 2017 and ask if these are good for an NFL that claims it is interested in player safety and trying to cut down on major injuries. Your response to this TV question one of these sports networks discussed.

if you mean reminding people of what a good old football game looks like compared to the crap they want then yes...

Hits will happen..  most everything was clean in this game only the 2 hits in question even looked dirty.  

I love this type of football...  Hits should be hard  Clean but hard     Its bad for us because the NFL apparently doesn't see any wrong with how the steelers teach tackling with the crown of helment...   and somehow burfict is still the villain?
Reply/Quote
This was like a Bears vs. Lions match from the 1960s or 1970s.
Reply/Quote
RE: Was The Bengal Steelers Game Bad For The NFL ?

No. Just Marv's coaching and his attitude infecting the Bengals mentality in a negative way.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
If you think games like that are "bad for the NFL" you are completety wrong. If you agree/disagree with the super violent hits, it still grabs people's attention. its good for ratings

Dont be surprised if there is another bengals steelers primetime game next year.
Reply/Quote
No. That’s all ESPN, NFL network, the local coverage talked about building up to the game; bad blood, hard hitting football. The NFL loves this game, though they won’t admit it.

As someone once uttered, ‘I see better than I hear’. They can say they don’t like it all they want, as they move this game into prime time slots.

I just wish they’d tell it how it is, that the Steelers are the bad guys here, not Cincinnati sans Vontaze’s one freakin hit which was very close in real time. All the rest ‘bad football’ have come from that wretched team from that wretched city ... for 40+ years!!!
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2017, 02:26 PM)Brimey Wrote: The NFL is a bunch of phonies. After the issues of the Wild Card game, if they really wanted to tamp down some of the animosity, they could have kept these as noon games. But the NFL wants the ratings the hatred between these two teams brings.

So they put it on at primetime at night, put up beer tents from NFL sponsors and encourage the fans to get drunk and wild, and then act surprised that the whole thing turns into a mess.

Theyre full of it. They love the ratings the carnage brings, but they like to wag their finger afterwards

Spot on. Does anyone for one minute think Bengals/Steelers doesn’t get s PT game next season? Ofc they will.

Reply/Quote
Probably. Most of the talk radio Tuesday was about how the crappy first half officiating led to the bengals not wanting to touch anyone in the second half for fear of penalties. Personally, I think that was more Marvin but the claim was still out there.
Reply/Quote
Mainly the Steelers are bad for sports,they play dirty.what are we supposed to play nice anyway?
Reply/Quote