Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was tanking part of the plan?
Not to say Zac is worth keeping or that he's even remotely qualified, but one simple fact is that Mixon lead the AFC in rushing last season and this season with basically the same offensive line and little turnover for the team as a whole the record speaks for itself. In the past few years we've seen both coordinator positions released early, Austin and Zimpanzee then followed by the release of Marvin. Under an almost completely different regime it looks as if the entire team has forgotten how to play football. Nearly every position group appears to have regressed to the point that none of them appears to have the talent they had just one season ago. Is this even remotely making sense without the plan of tanking firmly established before the season started?  
This leads me to believe that the plan all along has been to tank the season in hopes of securing number one or two draft picks in every round of the upcoming draft. This of course makes it appear that the new coaching staff is woefully incompetent and that may be true in any case, but if they or most of the coaching staff is retained for next season it can only point to one thing in my mind . The plan from the very beginning was to tank.
What say you?  New Dey indeed..
Somehow they still need to find a way to lose to the Raiders, Jets and Fins and maybe even the Browns twice. Nobody puts tanking past the Browns for picks...do they? I certainly don't.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lol, a better question would be this ‘plan’ you speak of? It hasn’t taken effect in 30 years, I don’t see it happening now
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:15 AM)grampahol Wrote: Not to say Zac is worth keeping or that he's even remotely qualified, but one simple fact is that Mixon lead the AFC in rushing last season and this season with basically the same offensive line and little turnover for the team as a whole the record speaks for itself. In the past few years we've seen both coordinator positions released early, Austin and Zimpanzee then followed by the release of Marvin. Under an almost completely different regime it looks as if the entire team has forgotten how to play football. Nearly every position group appears to have regressed to the point that none of them appears to have the talent they had just one season ago. Is this even remotely making sense without the plan of tanking firmly established before the season started?  
This leads me to believe that the plan all along has been to tank the season in hopes of securing number one or two draft picks in every round of the upcoming draft. This of course makes it appear that the new coaching staff is woefully incompetent and that may be true in any case, but if they or most of the coaching staff is retained for next season it can only point to one thing in my mind . The plan from the very beginning was to tank.
Somehow they still need to find a way to lose to the Raiders, Jets and Fins and maybe even the Browns twice. Nobody puts tanking past the Browns for picks...do they? I certainly don't.  

It's nowhere near the same offensive line and no AJ Green all year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
If anything the line should be better since we have the best blocking te from the draft
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:15 AM)grampahol Wrote: Not to say Zac is worth keeping or that he's even remotely qualified, but one simple fact is that Mixon lead the AFC in rushing last season and this season with basically the same offensive line and little turnover for the team as a whole the record speaks for itself. In the past few years we've seen both coordinator positions released early, Austin and Zimpanzee then followed by the release of Marvin. Under an almost completely different regime it looks as if the entire team has forgotten how to play football. Nearly every position group appears to have regressed to the point that none of them appears to have the talent they had just one season ago. Is this even remotely making sense without the plan of tanking firmly established before the season started?  

4 of the OL starters were not starting on the Bengals last year. Now, the C is actually performing better this year than last but the rest are worse. Hart is even worse this year too compared to last. The biggest change is going from Pollack to Turner. Part of it is also how the RBs are being used. Lazor did a decent job of calling plays to utilize the RBs to get them effective. Taylor's playcalling seems to be to put Mixon in when running and Bernard in when passing overall.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I legit think that Bengals Management thinks this team can compete. I get that sense in all the trade deadline articles I read.
Reply/Quote

My hope is that they've been tanking this whole time. Think about how we looked in Seattle and then how we've looked since then. Part of me refuses to think Seattle was just an aberrance. But, in reality, I just think our coaching staff is not up to snuff. I don't know if they CAN'T improve, but as of now, they are in dire need of improvement. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:13 AM)PhilHos Wrote: My hope is that they've been tanking this whole time. Think about how we looked in Seattle and then how we've looked since then. Part of me refuses to think Seattle was just an aberrance. But, in reality, I just think our coaching staff is not up to snuff. I don't know if they CAN'T improve, but as of now, they are in dire need of improvement. 

I don't think the team would have started tanking after just losing the first game right at the end.
I think it's more that there was no tape to watch of Taylor's Bengals but after the SEA game, it gave the other teams something to study.
I think this team just flat out has poor playcalling and/or players to fit the schemes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:13 AM)PhilHos Wrote: My hope is that they've been tanking this whole time. Think about how we looked in Seattle and then how we've looked since then. Part of me refuses to think Seattle was just an aberrance. But, in reality, I just think our coaching staff is not up to snuff. I don't know if they CAN'T improve, but as of now, they are in dire need of improvement. 

You're going to have close games in the NFL. Dave Shula's 1st season they won 5 games and lost another 5 by 7 points or less. I'm sure some people that year though they could have had 10 wins.

Also, now that our schemes and weaknesses are on tape, the great coaches attack them. Go outside on us on defense. Use misdirection, etc.

Our weaknesses are pretty easy to spot and attack. And most teams have personnel that can attack it. Basically you just need speed.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You're going to have close games in the NFL. Dave Shula's 1st season they won 5 games and lost another 5 by 7 points or less. I'm sure some people that year though they could have had 10 wins.

Also, now that our schemes and weaknesses are on tape, the great coaches attack them. Go outside on us on defense. Use misdirection, etc.

Our weaknesses are pretty easy to spot and attack. And most teams have personnel that can attack it. Basically you just need speed.

Yep. I think our coaches are of the mind that you force players to fit into their schemes instead of adjusting your schemes to fit the players.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't think they are, and that's what makes this especially disheartening.

Granted, I don't watch the Dolphins, nor have I seen any post-game interviews with the players, so I can't speak on what their overall demeanor has been. But seeing Mixon's body language on the sideline the last couple of weeks, he's clearly furious, which leads me to believe that there was no sort of "plan" or intention for this kind of failure. It's pure ineptitude.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Seriously the only plan is to field a team. Hope you hit in the draft by dumb luck. Hire cheap unqualified people. make enough money to support the Brown family. That is pretty much the extent of the plan. It is evident if you have followed the team under Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 12:21 PM)hotweales Wrote: Seriously the only plan is to field a team. Hope you hit in the draft by dumb luck. Hire cheap unqualified people. make enough money to support the Brown family. That is pretty much the extent of the plan. It is evident if you have followed the team under Mike Brown.

Also to add to my reply:
I now understand a Marvin Lewis press conference. The giggles after a loss and reply we just have to be better, were a mask for if you people only know how poorly this organization is run. 
Reply/Quote

If tanking were the plan, they would not have overpaid to re-sign Hart and extend Gio. That cap money is now wasted.

I think you are underestimating the moronicness of Mike Brown. If tanking was his plan, then, yes, he did tank, but he's wasted cap space and it doesn't look like he's going to trade for any draft pick either.

Reply/Quote
No, there was/is no plan to tank the season. They just stink from the front office on down.
Reply/Quote
Breaking News!
Mike Brown has signed Coach Klein as special assistant to Zac Taylor.
Farmer Fran has replaced Turner and free agent Bobby Bucher was also signed.

Mike Brown made the decision after watching the movie the Waterboy and realized all the above would be perfect fits in this organization.
Reply/Quote
Did I mention that the plan to tank is some stroke of brilliance on the part of the Bengals?  No..those words will never be spoken by me nor anyone else for that matter, but I still believe they have a plan. The plan probably isn't very smart, but it's still a plan. People who get caught robbing banks usually have a plan. The problem is the plans aren't very good.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 01:12 PM)grampahol Wrote: Did I mention that the plan to tank is some stroke of brilliance on the part of the Bengals?  No..those words will never be spoken by me nor anyone else for that matter, but I still believe they have a plan. The plan probably isn't very smart, but it's still a plan. People who get caught robbing banks usually have a plan. The problem is the plans aren't very good.  

[Image: 8606fe86182d2184af7818d977f4992f355e8714...34141b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It’s cute that you think this franchise has ever had a plan under Mike Brown...a plan that goes further than save money that is.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals were truly tanking then they would be trading assets right now.

So, no. This team isnt tanking.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote