Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the Defense Really Good Versus the Texans?
I keep hearing that the defense played great vs the Texans because they only gave up 13 points. Atkins was fantastic.

This was a Texans team with a QB making their 1st start. Missing their starting Tackle to holdout. With 3 TE's injured starting a practice squad guy starting. And only 3 WR's with their #2 out.

They allowed Watson to run for a 49 yard TD with perhaps the least amount of effort to tackle a guy and shed blocks that I've ever seen our defense display.

They also allowed the Texans to go on a long drive at the end of the game eating the clock to kick a fg.

While the Texans didn't score 49 points, I saw plenty of missed tackles. I saw plenty of missed sacks.

Geno Atkins seemed to be the only guy that played great. Where was Dunlap?
Reply/Quote
The defense was pretty good other than that one big play they gave up.

Im really interested to see how they play against Green Bay. This defense has played well this season so far but they havent really been tested against a good offense.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I keep hearing that the defense played great vs the Texans because they only gave up 13 points. Atkins was fantastic.

This was a Texans team with a QB making their 1st start. Missing their starting Tackle to holdout. With 3 TE's injured starting a practice squad guy starting. And only 3 WR's with their #2 out.

They allowed Watson to run for a 49 yard TD with perhaps the least amount of effort to tackle a guy and shed blocks that I've ever seen our defense display.

They also allowed the Texans to go on a long drive at the end of the game eating the clock to kick a fg.

While the Texans didn't score 49 points, I saw plenty of missed tackles. I saw plenty of missed sacks.

Dunlap lived in the backfield, had one of the highest PFF grades (I know) of the game because of his pressures. The defense as a whole again did well enough to win. I don't know if they will be good or great, but so far in both games have played well enough to win....and there is the problem for this team.
Reply/Quote
Yes, they played well. When you hold your opponent to 13 points at home you should win easily. Special Teams were good too. The offense, particularly the Oline, the QB, and OC are what's holding this team back right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I think the defense played pretty well, though I agree that it was against a very mediocre offense. Even when the Bengals showed all the cards that it was an all out blitz, the Texans didn't shy away from running.

I really think Vigil and Willis are playing great so far.

My big issue is with Shawn Williams. He consistently gets our own players hurt because he always tries to make massive hits, and never goes for a tackle. No need to try and lay the boom on Hopkins when Pac already has him, just help him get Hopkins down.

Overall, this defense coupled with a DECENT offense would be 2-0. No problem.
Reply/Quote
The defense shut down the Texans without Vontaze Burfict. Think about that for a minute.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:05 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The defense was pretty good other than that one big play they gave up.

Im really interested to see how they play against Green Bay. This defense has played well this season so far but they havent really been tested against a good offense.

But they did give up a big play. This was a totally depleted offense. The big play had some of the worst tackling and effort that I can recall from a Bengals defense.

The Ravens got a big lead on us and ran the ball and didn't try to score.
Reply/Quote
The defense played well enough to beat about any team. The offense was pitiful. For a team that supposedly has so many weapons they are no where to be found when it matters. Mad
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:10 AM)thillan Wrote: I think the defense played pretty well, though I agree that it was against a very mediocre offense. Even when the Bengals showed all the cards that it was an all out blitz, the Texans didn't shy away from running.

My big issue is with Shawn Williams. He consistently gets our own players hurt because he always tries to make massive hits, and never goes for a tackle. No need to try and lay the boom on Hopkins when Pac already has him, just help him get Hopkins down.

One could argue that if we had Zeitler, Whitworth, and Mangold that we'd be 2-0. Or maybe even Whitworth and Mangold.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:05 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The defense was pretty good other than that one big play they gave up.

The Bengals defense typically gives up at least one big play like that every game, but have been otherwise solid.
If the Bengals had a halfway competent offense, they would have won that game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: One could argue that if we had Zeitler, Whitworth, and Mangold that we'd be 2-0. Or maybe even Whitworth and Mangold.

They won 6 games with Whit and Zeitler last year. 

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They won 6 games with Whit and Zeitler last year. 

And all the fans on here thought that adding Ross and Mixon made this a 10 win team...
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I keep hearing that the defense played great vs the Texans because they only gave up 13 points. Atkins was fantastic.

other than the Watson scramble for the TD  the defense was excellent all night. holding a team to 13 should be enough
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:10 AM)thillan Wrote: I think the defense played pretty well, though I agree that it was against a very mediocre offense. Even when the Bengals showed all the cards that it was an all out blitz, the Texans didn't shy away from running.

Well you say that about Williams, but if that hit forces hopkins to fumble on the Texans 30 yard line you are talking about how great a player he is. Friendly fire happens all the time, I am not going to ask a big hitter to stop doing what he does.
Reply/Quote
Think about this: if the defense doesn't give up that TD, all things remaining the same, we win the game last night.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:12 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: But they did give up a big play. This was a totally depleted offense. The big play had some of the worst tackling and effort that I can recall from a Bengals defense.

The Ravens got a big lead on us and ran the ball and didn't try to score.

And we knew it and could not stop them.  I'm with you on this one Pistons.  Other than Geno, Burfict and Jones this is a middling defense at best.   I may be wrong.   We'll see next week.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:11 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The defense shut down the Texans without Vontaze Burfict.  Think about that for a minute.

Think about who we were playing
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:25 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And all the fans on here thought that adding Ross and Mixon made this a 10 win team...

No they didn't. Plenty of people here didn't like those picks. Especially Ross. 

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:26 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Think about this: if the defense doesn't give up that TD, all things remaining the same, we win the game last night.

If the offense scores a TD for once we also win, not sure what the point is of this statement.

"In football the team that usually scores the most points wins the game"
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:28 AM)3wt Wrote: Think about who we were playing

You're right -- but I'm trying to come up with bright spots. Anything....
Reply/Quote