Phillips can return kicks not punts

A lot of the back ups looked good

Not impressed with the 1st team D

Oline looked good

There's another way to avoid a sack besides throwing it in a nanosecond
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like what I'm seeing out of Finley, a lot.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 11:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Phillips can return kicks not punts

Oline looked good

outside of two early plays, the 1st/2nd team defense was pretty solid
Reply/Quote
First string OL had major issues tonight. Defense overall did play better.

Played well:

Price - BIG TIME

Sample

Michael Jordan

Finley

Erickson

Played not so well:

Miller

Hopkins

Uzomah (especially)

Shawn Williams

Malone
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 11:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Phillips can return kicks not punts

Oline looked good

First team D held them to no points on 3 possessions (1 3 and out) and the second team Dline beat up on their first team oline (for 1 drive)

You sure we watched the same game, bfine? Even with all the penalties we had, Washington had LESS yards against our first team d, then we did against theirs.

And the interior oline on 1st team looked weak and getting killed.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 11:48 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: First team D held them to no points on 3 possessions (1 3 and out) and the second team Dline beat up on their first team oline (for 1 drive)

You sure we watched the same game, bfine? Even with all the penalties we had, Washington had LESS yards against our first team d, then we did against theirs.

Yeah we watched the same game and 2 players that qualify for their AARP cards gashed us and got from their 27 to our 27 in about 1 minute. Keep in mind the Skins starter is actually their 3rd string QB. 

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 11:48 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: First team D held them to no points on 3 possessions (1 3 and out) and the second team Dline beat up on their first team oline (for 1 drive)

(08-15-2019, 11:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah we watched the same game and 2 players that qualify for their AARP cards gashed us and got from their 27 to our 27 in about 1 minute. Keep in mind the Skins starter is actually their 3rd string QB. 

The 27 flags in the 1st qtr. made it hard to discern much from. AP and Davis did gash us a couple times but overall the D played a good bit better tonight. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2019, 11:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah we watched the same game and 2 players that qualify for their AARP cards gashed us and got from their 27 to our 27 in about 1 minute. Keep in mind the Skins starter is actually their 3rd string QB. 

I do agree, but we stopped them with missed FG. Did Dre and Dennard play at all tonight?

I was impressed with Pratt tonight, I see our next Burfict. I would love to see him with 1st team defense next week.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:00 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The 27 flags in the 1st qtr. made it hard to discern much from. AP and Davis did gash us a couple times but overall the D played a good bit better tonight. 

No doubt the result was better but was it because of our play or the competition. I admit I may be too critical, but playing a poor Washington team, starting their 3rd string QB,and trotting out folks in walkers we should have looked better.

I will say this and coin it first. After Dunlap's sideline interview I'm nicknaming the dline the Sack Race

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:05 AM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt the result was better but was it because of our play or the competition. I admit I may be too critical, but playing a poor Washington team, starting their 3rd string QB,and trotting out folks in walkers we should have looked better.

I will say this and coin it first. After Dunlap's sideline interview I'm nicknaming the dline the Sack Race

A bit of both I'd say.

Like I said in the gameday thread. We started off awful but all things considered we recovered well. I felt we took some strides in the right direction after that putrid start.

Have to get those penalties under control ! But to be fair there's always a ton of them in preseason and I thought a couple holding calls were on the weak side.

That presnap stuff has to go though !
Reply/Quote

so after those only 2 plays you mentioned.. Redskins ran roughly 20 or so plays for 100 yards and one TD the rest of 1st half... so tell me again how they were horrible ?
Reply/Quote
Miscellaneous thoughts:

I am cautiously optimistic about our offensive line's ability to pass block.

The run blocking has been an issue, but my recollection without looking it up is that they struggled to run all preseason last year and then as soon as the season started Mixon had no issues.

Finley looks like a legit find as a backup. Not saying he's going to take over for Dalton or anything, but that's still a big upgrade.

Nice to see the defense bounce back.

They are going to have some tough decisions on cut day at WR.

This team has such little margin for error that they have got to quit shooting themselves in the foot with penalties.

I love that they're not afraid to take shots downfield.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:05 AM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt the result was better but was it because of our play or the competition. I admit I may be too critical, but playing a poor Washington team, starting their 3rd string QB,and trotting out folks in walkers we should have looked better.

I agree Skin offense with QB issues and LT not in camp is offense in disarray. I disagree about HOF back Peterson. He was good in 2018 and reminds me of Gore, each year you think he is done, but kept coming back and stayed productive for a long  time.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
43 pass attempts and 24 rushing attempts = ZT hates the run game and will make us all super mad
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:20 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Miscellaneous thoughts:

I am cautiously optimistic about our offensive line's ability to pass block.

The run blocking has been an issue, but my recollection without looking it up is that they struggled to run all preseason last year and then as soon as the season started Mixon had no issues.

Finley looks like a legit find as a backup. Not saying he's going to take over for Dalton or anything, but that's still a big upgrade.

Nice to see the defense bounce back.

They are going to have some tough decisions on cut day at WR.

This team has such little margin for error that they have got to quit shooting themselves in the foot with penalties.

I love that they're not afraid to take shots downfield.

Mixon run was nice, holding did not really change that run, they had another nice run that a holding called nixed.. i don;t remember a negative run.. positive runs even if 3 yards is very important under Taylor offense.. thank about how many negative runs we have had last few years
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:24 AM)Nately120 Wrote: 43 pass attempts and 24 rushing attempts  = ZT hates the run game and will make us all super mad

I rather see the young QBS throw more since they are in competition, which they did.. 1st offense was not that big of defense, two nice runs came back on holding calls and Mixon and Gio barely touched the ball, we were down to our 4th back with like 8 minutes into 1st quarter.. Come On Man
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:24 AM)Nately120 Wrote: 43 pass attempts and 24 rushing attempts  = ZT hates the run game and will make us all super mad

...or they were just down to their 5th, 6th, and 7th stringers at RB and wanted to get a good look at both Finley and Driskel since that's probably going to be a bigger decision?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:26 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Mixon run was nice, holding did not really change that run, they had another nice run that a holding called nixed.. i don;t remember a negative run.. positive runs even if 3 yards is very important under Taylor offense.. thank about how many negative runs we have had last few years

I hear ya, just seemed to me that they were getting stuffed for 2 yards or less at the start of the game a lot. Mixon can make yardage even if the blocking is poor, but I still think it's a bit concerning.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:29 AM)NKURyan Wrote: ...or they were just down to their 5th, 6th, and 7th stringers at RB and wanted to get a good look at both Finley and Driskel since that's probably going to be a bigger decision?

SUPER MAD
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:30 AM)NKURyan Wrote: I hear ya, just seemed to me that they were getting stuffed for 2 yards or less at the start of the game a lot. Mixon can make yardage even if the blocking is poor, but I still think it's a bit concerning.

Im not that worried, 80 percent of runs tonight were 3/4 tier RBs.. and I looked we had zero negative run plays.. and you stated Mixon makes yards on his own also.. so if we can block well enough to get Mixon to line,, we are going to be just fine with his talent and will take 3rd and 4th all day compared to where we were the last few years on 3rd down
Reply/Quote