Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington Nickname change
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/redskins-team-name-change/17addpgbo88h51kkj1cgouwrgm
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2020/07/12/washington-redskins-to-announce-new-team-name-monday/5425894002/

I thought there would be a thread on this, but however we got here we're here now. In less than 12 hours they'll officially change the name. Anything that could be confused racially should be ruled out, and when I heard about the controversy I figured Hogs would be the best save. The Sporting News brought up a good point that they could actually be the Red Hogs, there's an actual red river hog animal and it looks ferocious enough. Make a beefed up logo with the same colors and slap it ontop of throw back jerseys from the Super Bowl era. Just steer clear of the Razorbacks logo.
Reply/Quote
Washington Red Wolves sounds cool. I know Red Wolves is trending at the moment as well as Red Tails.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
DC Swamp Creatures.
Reply/Quote
How about "Greenbacks"?

It sounds somehow racist, but it isn't really. Maybe that would make everyone happy.
Reply/Quote
Washington Dumpster Fires.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Washington Possums.

They play dead at home and get killed on the road.
Reply/Quote
I think Redtails would be perfect... considering how much they get spanked
Reply/Quote
I hope they go with the Redtails!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Redtails is pretty cool.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Just makes me sad, the Redskins were an epic helmet IMO. Sad
Reply/Quote
The Washington Cesspools on the Potomac

[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
In honor of Native Americans, what say we let them choose the DC team's new nickname?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 09:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In honor of Native Americans, what say we let them choose the DC team's new nickname?

I wouldn’t touch any name related to any race. Could immediately backfire or backfire a few years down the road when people change their minds and decide its offensive. Pick something that completely different if you’re going through this process anyway
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2020, 03:03 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I wouldn’t touch any name related to any race. Could immediately backfire or backfire a few years down the road when people change their minds and decide its offensive. Pick something that completely different if you’re going through this process anyway

Hmm, I believe that you may have either misread, or misinterpreted what I actually wrote.  I wasn't suggesting that Washington change their nickname to "Native Americans" or any such.  What I said was, "Why not let the Native Americans choose the new nickname".  Meaning, allow the Native American Community, the one's that were so affected by the offending moniker, decide what their name should be, going forward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 03:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just makes me sad, the Redskins were an epic helmet IMO.  Sad

[Image: PotablePhysicalApisdorsatalaboriosa-size_restricted.gif]

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2020, 05:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, I believe that you may have either misread, or misinterpreted what I actually wrote.  I wasn't suggesting that Washington change their nickname to "Native Americans" or any such.  What I said was, "Why not let the Native Americans choose the new nickname".  Meaning, allow the Native American Community, the one's that were so affected by the offending moniker, decide what their name should be, going forward.

Ok, my mistake. I took that to mean some other Native American related name and logo, just less offensive than Redskins and allowing some Native Americans to pick it.

That could still be an issue because there will never be a name that is impossible for some people to find offensive even if 99% of Native Americans agree and want it. Or even if 100% somehow were happy about it now, there’s no telling how people will feel in 10 years. Better to name the team after an animal or something like that than go with anything (even an “inoffensive” name) that has to do with any specific group of people or they could find themselves in this same situation a few years from now.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2020, 07:45 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Ok, my mistake. I took that to mean some other Native American related name and logo, just less offensive than Redskins and allowing some Native Americans to pick it.

That could still be an issue because there will never be a name that is impossible for some people to find offensive even if 99% of Native Americans agree and want it. Or even if 100% somehow were happy about it now, there’s no telling how people will feel in 10 years. Better to name the team after an animal or something like that than go with anything (even an “inoffensive” name) that has to do with any specific group of people or they could find themselves in this same situation a few years from now.

So the Washington Savages would be a no then?
Reply/Quote
In 5 years, PETA will cry foul for naming a team after a certain animal’s tail.

OMG! The sacrilege!!

The whole world is hyper-sensitive and gets so easily butt-hurt about everything anymore.

Scary ass times we are living in.

(07-13-2020, 02:41 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Redtails is pretty cool.
Reply/Quote
The slapasses!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The Washington Pimps.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote