Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasted Money
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35271981/sources-nfl-teams-spent-800m-fired-coaches-execs-last-5-years

I found this very interesting. Crazy how some of these guys signed new deals just this year only to be fired, and the cost. I mean, what a severance bonus
Reply/Quote
Better to eat 4yr/$40-60m or whatever of non-cap-related money on a coach who clearly isn't the answer than waste 4 years of your star players careers being bad/middling. Even if you think about it only from a non-player financial aspect, the amount of money an owner makes in 4 years of being bad off of tickets/concessions/merch vs 4 years of being good has to just absolutely overwhelm any coach contract number.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think in some cases, such as what is currently happening in Denver, things are simply a bad fit and a change needs to be made quickly. But, Zac Taylor and the Bengals are proof positive that you need to give the coaches at least 3 years and 2 drafts to build a team. You can't change a culture and rebuild a team overnight. Far too many teams give up way too early.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 12:04 PM)pally Wrote: I think in some cases, such as what is currently happening in Denver, things are simply a bad fit and a change needs to be made quickly. But, Zac Taylor and the Bengals are proof positive that you need to give the coaches at least 3 years and 2 drafts to build a team. You can't change a culture and rebuild a team overnight.  Far too many teams give up way too early.

I think Bengals, Jets, and Lions are all teams that show you shouldn't just fire someon3 after 1 or 2 bad years. Obviously you can tell some people just aren't a good fit, way over their heads, or the players hate them but sometimes that also just takes time.
Reply/Quote
If this Message Board was GM we'd be paying the contracts of around 72 HCs at this time.

WTS, there is no perfect formula.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, I think some of the contracts that are really bad examples are of guys who just got reupped or signed extensions, only to be fired months later. And the amount of money that is literally wasted.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 11:32 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35271981/sources-nfl-teams-spent-800m-fired-coaches-execs-last-5-years

I found this very interesting.  Crazy how some of these guys signed new deals just this year only to be fired, and the cost.  I mean, what a severance bonus

If I was a young buck, I would assist in some way for my college team while I was in school.  Just get connections, don't get any money.  Then, I would try to hitch my wagon to some great coach in the NFL.  I don't care if I start as the guy that does the team laundry.  Just connect with the best.  Watch and learn.  Grow and develop in their franchise.  

Coaching trees can be traced back to about three guys right now:  Belichek, McVay, and Shanahan.  If you were smart and served those guys and learned everything you could from them, you could probably get an assistant job somewhere are then it is up to you to prove yourself.  Win in the NFL and you write your ticket. 

I mean, how the HELL is Lovie Smith a coach in the NFL still?  Must be because he took the Bears to the Super Bowl....even though he didn't win.  

The best part is you aren't physically wrecked like the players.  You just have a lot of hours to put in, but it is a game, and would be a blast.  
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 12:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If this Message Board was GM we'd be paying the contracts of around 72 HCs at this time.

WTS, there is no perfect formula.

Cmon man. Brown stayed with Marvin too long. It all worked out, but yeah the vast majority of us were SCREAMING for a change, if not after the 2015 debacle, certainly by the next season , and RIGHTLY so.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 12:40 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I mean, how the HELL is Lovie Smith a coach in the NFL still?

Texans needed somebody to finish manning the sinking ship that Bill O'Brien rammed into the iceberg. Not going to hire someone young and/or promising for that, because anyone young and/or promising doesn't want to start their HC career with an anchor tied to their ankles.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 01:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Texans needed somebody to finish manning the sinking ship that Bill O'Brien rammed into the iceberg. Not going to hire someone young and/or promising for that, because anyone young and/or promising doesn't want to start their HC career with an anchor tied to their ankles.

Hell, I would.  Nowhere to go but up and have lots of picks and no bad contracts.  
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 02:34 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Hell, I would.  Nowhere to go but up and have lots of picks and no bad contracts.  

Ehhh....

You inherit a team with no QB, only one good WR who doesn't want to be there, a terrible defense, $78m in dead cap, somehow only $48m in cap space next year despite not having many good players because you have a $35m cap hit LT and $26m cap hit WR because you had to make cap space this year to accommodate the $78m in dead cap, and no comp picks.

It's not a desirable setup if you want to stick long term. The extra 1st round pick each of the next two drafts doesn't offset that (the Browns have won 3 of their last 4 so their 1st has dropped down to 14 already with the Saints, Commanders, and Steelers left). Heck, even Lovie probably will be fired when it comes time for them to try to be good again.

Reply/Quote
How much of that money is wasted because franchise QBs don't grow on trees? I really don't think it matters how great of a HC you are, without a capable QB you aren't going to compete. Usually getting said QB is a matter of being the worst in the league at just the right time.
Reply/Quote