Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasting those Rookie QB Contract Years
So the Bengals are struggling to build a competitive team around Burrow with him on a rookie deal. They make moves on the line, but some didn't work out. The coaching also seems to be subpar on offense.

When Burrow is making $40-50 million a year and Chase $30 million and when they can't afford Higgins or Boyd...how will this team be?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So the Bengals are struggling to build a competitive team around Burrow with him on a rookie deal. They make moves on the line, but they don't work out.

When Burrow is making $40-50 million a year and Chase $30 million and when they can't afford Higgins or Boyd...how will this team be?

Generalize much? Cappa and Karras have very much worked out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 01:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Generalize much? Cappa and Karras have very much worked out.

....and honestly, Volson seems to get better each week. It's the bookends that are killing us. I didn't think that would be the case going into the season, but here we are.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
LT and RT seem more of an issue than the interior of the OL at the moment. Then again Garrett is another breed of athlete. Some teams triple that monster. Need to be shopping for CB's right now.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So the Bengals are struggling to build a competitive team around Burrow with him on a rookie deal. They make moves on the line, but they don't work out.

They won't be able to pay for other offensive weapons once they have a top QB and WR1 under contract.
They'll have to rely on the draft and/or cheaper FAs to fill in.

Probably also can't pay big FA contracts to the entire DL either, like they are now.

Having Bates (and Mixon?) off the books next year should help.
Although Bell is probably deserving of a raise this offseason and will likely get it from some team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 12:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So the Bengals are struggling to build a competitive team around Burrow with him on a rookie deal. They make moves on the line, but they don't work out.

It will mean we will be just like every other team in the NFL that has a top tier QB and is having to pay them. Wasting his rookie years??? Good grief, we just played in the Super Bowl. Some of these takes a mind boggling.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 01:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They won't be able to pay for other offensive weapons once they have a top QB and WR1 under contract.
They'll have to rely on the draft and/or cheaper FAs to fill in.

Probably also can't pay big FA contracts to the entire DL either, like they are now.

Having Bates (and Mixon?) off the books next year should help.
Although Bell is probably deserving of a raise this offseason and will likely get it from some team.

Logan Wilson will need paid more. They'll have a decision on Pratt.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 01:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It will mean we will be just like every other team in the NFL that has a top tier QB and is having to pay them. Wasting his rookie years??? Good grief, we just played in the Super Bowl. Some of these takes a mind boggling.

There's a pretty big narrative in the NFL that having an elite QB on a cheap rookie deal is a cheat code. It gives teams tens of millions to invest in other positions.
Reply/Quote

??  We are competitive.. just not very good team right now.. and great QBs can overcome some lack of talent.. so Burrow is going to need to maybe do that anyway if we are paying him that much $$
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 03:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: ??  We are competitive.. just not very good team right now.. and great QBs can overcome some lack of talent.. so Burrow is going to need to maybe do that anyway if we are paying him that much $$

We're not a SB contender. Basically, if a team has a good pass rusher they can shutdown our offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 03:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We're not a SB contender. Basically, if a team has a good pass rusher they can shutdown our offense.

I think the last elite pass rusher we shut down was Maxx Crosby in the wild card game. And that was Prince, who’s not even playing right now.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 03:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's a pretty big narrative in the NFL that having an elite QB on a cheap rookie deal is a cheat code. It gives teams tens of millions to invest in other positions.

Let's look at the last 10 years of Super Bowl teams and who the QB was.....

2021- Matthew Stafford - not on a rookie deal
2020- Tom Brady - not on a rookie deal
2019- Patrick Mahommes -  rookie deal
2018- Tome Brady- not on a rookie deal
2017- Nick Foles- Not on a rookie deal
2016- Tom Brady- not on a rookie deal
2015- Peyton Manning- not on a rookie deal
2014- Tom Brady- not on a rookie deal
2013- Russell Wilson- rookie deal
2012- Joe Flacco- 5th year on the roster, not sure which contract.

So of the ten QBs, 2 of them were on rookie deals when they won the SB. Having a rookie QB on the cheap is great, but it's not the end all be all.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 03:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Let's look at the last 10 years of Super Bowl teams and who the QB was.....

So of the ten QBs, 2 of them were on rookie deals when they won the SB. Having a rookie QB on the cheap is great, but it's not the end all be all.

Brady skews that big time though. He was always making under his market value. Pistons is right, having an elite rookie QB is invaluable.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 03:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Let's look at the last 10 years of Super Bowl teams and who the QB was.....

Yep.  It's a bonus but nowhere near a pre-requisite.  They won't be able to coverup bad drafting with free agency like they have the last few seasons once Burrow is getting paid, so making each pick count will be the real key to success.
Reply/Quote
Idk about you but I’m not paying 50 mill for a guy that turns into chopped shit without his number 1 guy.

If anything this is an argument to pay Jamarr Chase 30 mill a year and make him the highest paid WR. If the standard is 50 mill and guys like ARod are getting that then Burrow is somewhere closer to 40 million. When he’s on he’s on but he’s not worth top 3 QB money and I’m fine with losing him if it really came down to it.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 03:22 PM)Housh Wrote: Idk about you but I’m not paying 50 mill for a guy that turns into chopped shit without his number 1 guy.

If anything this is an argument to pay Jamarr Chase 30 mill a year and make him the highest paid WR. If the standard is 50 mill and guys like ARod are getting that then Burrow is somewhere closer to 40 million. When he’s on he’s on but he’s not worth top 3 QB money and I’m fine with losing him if it really came down to it.

Burrow wasn’t “chopped shit” in his rookie season without Chase. And honestly he wasn’t even that bad last night. He just never had a chance because his LT played the worst game of his life, and the run game was non-existent. He had one bad miss to Boyd that he sailed high, but also had bums like Mike Thomas out there dropping perfectly thrown balls.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 03:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Logan Wilson will need paid more. They'll have a decision on Pratt.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I don't mind if Pratt walks.
He's a solid LB, but I think he's replaceable.

Logan Wilson I would extend.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 01:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Generalize much? Cappa and Karras have very much worked out.

I don;t think they have overall been as consistent as expected especially Cappa... better yes but to the level what we expected no.. now that might be because of Pollack some also
Reply/Quote
Well we did win the AFC
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 03:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again...I don't mind if Pratt walks.
He's a solid LB, but I think he's replaceable.

Logan Wilson I would extend.

Agree on both. Pratt is just a guy. Logan is obviously the priority.

Reply/Quote