Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watch people
Who wears a watch and what brand/series do you have? I have several, but I'm slowly getting better watches over time..
My first watch ever was a kids Timex and being a kid it didn't last long plus they were all windups back then..
Then as an adult I moved to the ever popular cheap ass Kmart crap watches (around $10) and wore them for years till the wheels fell off.
About 10 years ago or so i bought a big old dinner plate Invicta quartz movement piece of crap, but it lasted about 8 years or so. I got tired of changing batteries every year or so so...I also have another old Invicta I've never worn..still in the box, but it's ugly and clunky.. Now I have an Orient Bambino II, automatic movement..Nice, quality watch and seriously considering an Orient Sun and Moon V3.. also an automatic
Not necessarily from this seller.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/303783425927?epid=22026983954&hash=item46bae73787:g:JgIAAOSwsOBftpJl
For the price range Orient watches are really nice made by Seiko with great reviews.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've got a Citizen Eco Drive similar to this one, but an older version and has a blue face.

https://www.hsn.com/products/citizen-mens-eco-drive-radio-controlled-pcat-chronograp/20495119?sz=11&sf=J00259&ac=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping%20engine&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Gshopping%7CGeneric%7Cjewelry+men%27s+jewelry+accessories&utm_content=134210912346_pla-1643785561198_20495119&pdp_exp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwyryUBhBSEiwAGN5OCMcKHFL9iUpR27KOtqFCfNGXD6jKteJSQ2yX8PV5xYLQlrLOtvrOdxoCq1oQAvD_BwE

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 11:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: I've got a Citizen Eco Drive similar to this one, but an older version and has a blue face.

https://www.hsn.com/products/citizen-mens-eco-drive-radio-controlled-pcat-chronograp/20495119?sz=11&sf=J00259&ac=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping%20engine&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Gshopping%7CGeneric%7Cjewelry+men%27s+jewelry+accessories&utm_content=134210912346_pla-1643785561198_20495119&pdp_exp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwyryUBhBSEiwAGN5OCMcKHFL9iUpR27KOtqFCfNGXD6jKteJSQ2yX8PV5xYLQlrLOtvrOdxoCq1oQAvD_BwE

I had a nice Citizen Eco Drive for a while as well.  Great not to change batteries, kept time quite well, looked nice.  But I stopped wearing watches years ago because it was uncomfortable typing on a keyboard all day with it and for work I'm nearly always in front of my phone or computer and the watch had become a fashion piece over a functional piece, so it's been packed away for almost a decade. 
Reply/Quote
I wore a watch constantly from like 15-45 but haven't worn one in years. Most of mine back then were just cheap watches because I was just to hard on them at work and such.

I did have a semi decent timex, think I still have it will have to look ?
Reply/Quote
I remember years ago the Traders World north of Cincy sold these "knock-off" Rolexs. They were very convincing. Folks from all over would request I pick them up one. I think they were like $35.

The when I was deployed to Afghanistan we'd have vendors set up a market outside the wire once a week. They had great knock offs as well. I still have the following:
Tag Heuer
Breitling
Panerai (My personal fav)

Haven't worn any in years
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 01:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wore a watch constantly from like 15-45 but haven't worn one in years. Most of mine back then were just cheap watches because I was just to hard on them at work and such.

i stopped wearing watches we i started carrying a cell phone some 20 years ago.
*Although that Starfield Smartwatch looks cool....*

Thought this was gonna be about Watching People  lol
Reply/Quote
I remember when my wife ask for a watch for her birthday.

I told her there was a clock on the stove.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 04:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I remember when my wife ask for a watch for her birthday.

That's nothing: my wife was hinting around that all the other husbands were getting their wives I-Pads, I-Pods, I-Books. So on her birthday I got her an I-ron

Reply/Quote
I wore Grandma Birthday Gift watches from about 9 or 10 until I got a job as a night stocker at 20. Good luck wearing one when trying to stock shelves. It got caught on everything, so I just got used to knowing where every clock was located at work. After a few years when I switched jobs, I just never got back into wearing one again. Then came cell phones, game over.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 11:54 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I had a nice Citizen Eco Drive for a while as well.  Great not to change batteries, kept time quite well, looked nice.  But I stopped wearing watches years ago because it was uncomfortable typing on a keyboard all day with it and for work I'm nearly always in front of my phone or computer and the watch had become a fashion piece over a functional piece, so it's been packed away for almost a decade. 

Yes....ever since the cell phone came along I quit wearing them everyday as well. I wear the Citizen for dress, I had a decently nice Elgin I wore to work in those days.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Casio G shock. Switched to Timex Ironman when they came out with indiglo. And a vintage Lucien Piccard that was my grandfather’s.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 03:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Casio G shock. Switched to Timex Ironman when they came out with indiglo. And a vintage Lucien Piccard that was my grandfather’s.

G Shock and a Leatherman/Gerber...The necessities of a Soldiers assigned to a combat unit

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 05:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: G Shock and a Leatherman/Gerber...The necessities of a Soldiers assigned to a combat unit

Yeah. I’d add a serrated Spyderco to that list. I cut through a Kevlar vest with one.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 04:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I remember when my wife ask for a watch for her birthday.

My wife insisted on a new oven last year. But the one she picked out didn't have a clock on it. It left me periodically discombobulated and frustrated for a couple of weeks because I was so used to just looking over at the oven for the time. I finally broke down and bought a cheap tabletop clock to set next to the oven.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I used to watch people. Sometimes, you could go to an airport or a mall and just sit and watch people. If you stopped by a watch shop, you could watch watch people there. Sometimes in the Army, we would watch people on watch. They were watch people too. Another case of watching the watch people. I guess that answers the question of who is watching the watchmen, eh. But we weren't all that particular. We would watch the watchwomen as well, which was typically something worth watching.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 01:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wore a watch constantly from like 15-45 but haven't worn one in years. Most of mine back then were just cheap watches because I was just to hard on them at work and such.

Yup..That's what you would probably have to do to find it if you think you still have it..look for it.. 
Problem solved!  ThumbsUp

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
What's wrong with America to not wear watches? I don't walk around in public feeling naked on MY arm!  Wink
I've worn a watch since I was old enough to tell time just last year in fact! 
I'm actually considering investing in watches for my retirement.. Watch study or more precide, the study of time keeping and/or clock and watch making is called horology ..Sounds pimpish I know, but I always wanted to play pimp on TV.. 
Actually I got interested in woodworking because i wanted to start making wooden clocks, but I just don't have the patience to sit and cut wooden gears.. I've cut a few, but it's really time consuming..  I have disassembled and repaired a few old clocks.. Kind of fun.. Hardest part for me was figuring out the escape mechanism.. 

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2022, 06:54 PM)grampahol Wrote: Who wears a watch and what brand/series do you have? I have several, but I'm slowly getting better watches over time..
My first watch ever was a kids Timex and being a kid it didn't last long plus they were all windups back then..
Then as an adult I moved to the ever popular cheap ass Kmart crap watches (around $10) and wore them for years till the wheels fell off.
About 10 years ago or so i bought a big old dinner plate Invicta quartz movement piece of crap, but it lasted about 8 years or so. I got tired of changing batteries every year or so so...I also have another old Invicta I've never worn..still in the box, but it's ugly and clunky.. Now I have an Orient Bambino II, automatic movement..Nice, quality watch and seriously considering an Orient Sun and Moon V3.. also an automatic
Not necessarily from this seller.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/303783425927?epid=22026983954&hash=item46bae73787:g:JgIAAOSwsOBftpJl
For the price range Orient watches are really nice made by Seiko with great reviews.. 

I love watches and still wear them all the time. I like to rotate them around depending on where I'm going...

Casio G Shock that's chunky, clear, & black really cool looking
Casio Bond style watch that I love and beat to death
Hamilton Field Khaki Automatic Black Face with Brown indices
Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow white chrono with blue indices
Seiko Samurai Save the Ocean with a custom "Art of War" brown leather strap. LOVE this watch
Movado Museum Automatic
Citizen chrono with khaki strap
Solar Seiko Chrono with khaki strap

Anyway, I love and enjoy watches - particularly either automatics or strangely durable quartz pieces. How they work, the designs, usage as a tool for different professions, etc. I would LOVE to add a Graph Zeppelin Panda. Not expensive, but looks cool! Microbrands interest me, but maybe not to the degree where I would buy one.

My next watch will either be a Rolex Blue Milgauss or one of the Ball pieces. My problem with the Milgauss is that it is very Miami Dolphins. I love the look, just not how "Dolphiny" it is. I keep wanting to get into a Breitling, but the fact that the Rolex stuff at that cost hold and appreciates in value where a Breitling does not is impossible to ignore. Tudor Black Bays are gorgeous, too, with leather straps (controversial on a  diver, but I love it).
Reply/Quote
Unless you're getting a Petek Phillipe grand master chime you're just slumming..  Whatever  It's a paltry 31.19 million in 2019 bucks.. Chump change..  That was probably the first issue, but it's not as if they're knocked out in Chinese factories.. 
Here ya go..Just a work watch..
[Image: 5175R_001_001.jpg]
Just your every day ordinary gazillionaire watch.. 
Caliber 300 GS AL 36-750 QIS FUS IRM. Manually wound mechanical movement with 20 complications.

Double-face reversible case in 18K rose gold, totally hand-engraved, diameter 47.4 mm, height 16.1 mm.

Dials in 18K gold, opaline silvery gray, with hand-guilloched center and applied gold Roman numerals on the time side.

Strap Alligator with large square scales, hand-stitched, dark brown, hand-patinated, fold-over clasp in 18K rose gold fully engraved by hand.

I wonder if they take food stamps for these.. 

Reply/Quote
PDub..Check out https://www.chrono24.com/  A watch marketplace for people all over the world.. Kind of cool..Most is above my pay grade, but you can get really inexpensive vintage stuff there too as well as brand new high dollar luxury watches..  I've been eyeing an 18k gold pocket watch circa 1901 in good condition for around $400..

Reply/Quote