Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watch people
(06-03-2022, 12:44 AM)grampahol Wrote: PDub..Check out https://www.chrono24.com/  A watch marketplace for people all over the world.. Kind of cool..Most is above my pay grade, but you can get really inexpensive vintage stuff there too as well as brand new high dollar luxury watches..  I've been eyeing an 18k gold pocket watch circa 1901 in good condition for around $400..

Super cool! Thanks for the link!
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 01:07 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I used to watch people. Sometimes, you could go to an airport or a mall and just sit and watch people. If you stopped by a watch shop, you could watch watch people there. Sometimes in the Army, we would watch people on watch. They were watch people too. Another case of watching the watch people. I guess that answers the question of who is watching the watchmen, eh. But we weren't all that particular. We would watch the watchwomen as well, which was typically something worth watching.

Now days we refer to that as people watching, as it sounds less creepy..   Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2022, 10:17 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now days we refer to that as people watching, as it sounds less creepy..   Ninja

Depends on the gender, but certain youngish ladies I prefer another method..Undressing with my eyes in certain conditions.. I know,,creepy as well, but i can't help myself.  Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I inherited my grandfather’s Longines, with a second hand “clock” on the face. One of my bosses asked if i would sell it, of course i said no, but i got curious as to it’s value, and found out it was worth $7500. The boss was a watch aficionado, and he was trying to offer me a few hundred dollars for it. This was in 1999.

I also have a nice Seiko mom gave me as graduation present.

I have to wear a watch with a second hand for work, and have worn both to work, but I try to avoid this.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 01:07 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I used to watch people. Sometimes, you could go to an airport or a mall and just sit and watch people. If you stopped by a watch shop, you could watch watch people there. Sometimes in the Army, we would watch people on watch. They were watch people too. Another case of watching the watch people. I guess that answers the question of who is watching the watchmen, eh. But we weren't all that particular. We would watch the watchwomen as well, which was typically something worth watching.

You would probably enjoy Harper Lee's "Go Set a Watchman".

Not to be confused with "Go Set a Watch, Man".
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2022, 05:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: Depends on the gender, but certain youngish ladies I prefer another method..Undressing with my eyes in certain conditions.. I know,,creepy as well, but i can't help myself.  Shocked

I've met quite a few ladies who occasionally do the same thing with certain guys. It's just that women tend to not be so open and honest about it. ;-)
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2022, 10:17 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now days we refer to that as people watching, as it sounds less creepy..   Ninja

So it's "people people watching"? And if they are watching other people people watching (something I occasionally do), then it would be "people people watching people watching people"?

You young 'uns and your confounded complex world... what, with the inter-worldwide web nets and everything!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I am very big into watches. My first automatic was a Seiko SKX 007 dive watch. I love that thing - my wife gave it to me for our 3 year anniversary.

The next watch I got was a Tudor Black Bay in red and black. I got it the year my daughter was born. Another dive watch and my first "luxury" piece.

The next one was a blue Seiko Aplinist. Not a super luxury watch, but it was a limited release from Hodinkee so I'm pretty lucky to have one.

I put my name on the list at my local Rolex AD about a year and a half ago for the new Explorer 36 mm. Literally two weeks ago I FINALLY got the call and its the prize of my collection. I absolutely love it and its taken up all my wrist time.

The best part about buying quality watches is that they actually appreciate over time. I actually walked out of the Rolex store with about 2K in more value than I walked in with (watch is going for 2K over retail on secondary).

My next watch I want is an Omega Speedmaster. This won't be for awhile, though.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 02:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I remember years ago the Traders World north of Cincy sold these "knock-off" Rolexs. They were very convincing. Folks from all over would request I pick them up one. I think they were like $35.

The when I was deployed to Afghanistan we'd have vendors set up a market outside the wire once a week. They had great knock offs as well. I still have the following:
Tag Heuer
Breitling
Panerai (My personal fav)

Haven't worn any in years

I've always wanted a Panerai but they are just so damn big. I absolutely love the design language of them though. The crown guards are awesome. 
Reply/Quote
I gave up on branded/custom watches a few years ago and just started buying different bands/casings for my iwatch. It's definitely a step down but the utility an iwatch offers has passed the value I got out of being stylish.

I may change my mind if/when I could ever afford a Patek Philippe or Rolex.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 02:46 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I've met quite a few ladies who occasionally do the same thing with certain guys. It's just that women tend to not be so open and honest about it. ;-)

I was once visually undressable.. Now nobody would be so brave or stupid for that matter. I guess 40 plus years has that kind of effect of people.  Sick

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind having a nice watch collection I could sell for a profit, but I don't have that kind of money on hand so I sit and agonize fr several months over what I'm going to tell the Mrs next time I want to spend a few hundred for another watch. That still doesn't stop me from being endlessly fascinated by nice watch and clock movements, watching video of people taking them completely apart to refurbish them and so on.. I was going to do that kind of stuff, but shaking hands put an end to that fantasy. Still tough to beat Orient for the price range, all in house made movements, etc.. They're owned by a subsidiary of Seiko ..Seiko Epsilon actually..
I did find an old trashed cuckoo clock in the garbage once, took it home, took it all apart and rebuilt it and it ran perfectly and kept great time till my then 4 year old son decided to yank the chain and run through the house with it and made it back to trash again.. Oh well.. I might buy a cuckoo clock movement and make a new case for it someday if I can find a decent movement that I like.. I prefer brass..Last one was just sheet metal, but it worked..

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 11:44 PM)grampahol Wrote: I wouldn't mind having a nice watch collection I could sell for a profit, but I don't have that kind of money on hand so I sit and agonize fr several months over what I'm going to tell the Mrs next time I want to spend a few hundred for another watch. That still doesn't stop me from being endlessly fascinated by nice watch and clock movements, watching video of people taking them completely apart to refurbish them and so on.. I was going to do that kind of stuff, but shaking hands put an end to that fantasy. Still tough to beat Orient for the price range, all in house made movements, etc.. They're owned by a subsidiary of Seiko ..Seiko Epsilon actually..
I did find an old trashed cuckoo clock in the garbage once, took it home, took it all apart and rebuilt it and it ran perfectly and kept great time till my then 4 year old son decided to yank the chain and run through the house with it and made it back to trash again.. Oh well.. I might buy a cuckoo clock movement and make a new case for it someday if I can find a decent movement that I like.. I prefer brass..Last one was just sheet metal, but it worked..

Orient is a fantastic brand. They are a great value and have some great looking watches for an affordable price. 
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 09:26 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Orient is a fantastic brand. They are a great value and have some great looking watches for an affordable price. 

Indeed they do.. I just ordered my Sun and Moon 3 version. Same watch https://www.orientwatchusa.com/collections/classic/ra-ak0007s10b/ .$236 with tax on ebay..  I have a Bambino 2..Never loses a tick.. 

Reply/Quote