Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watches
Considering buying a new watch not because there's anything wrong with my current watch. It keeps good time and I only have to replace the band every few years,  but there's just something about a new watch .
I used to buy the cheapo $10 watches, but then one day a few years ago I bought a good Invicta. Now I keep thinking about a good quality chronograph because they look kind of cool . It's not as if i really need a tachymeter to figure out how fast I'm driving or anything.. I'm not so active that I need an indestructable time piece anymore.. About $70..
So anyways.  [Image: pocMT3Msj]
For you watch wearers what's your favorite style of watch?
The one thing that drives me crazy are all the fake chronographs on the market that don't actually work.. I don't see the point to intentionally buying something that doesn't work  .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am one of those folks that actually still wears a watch on a daily basis. My daily driver is just a Timex Expedition that looks like a diver's watch face but isn't really. I swapped out the crappy leather band for a cheap stainless oyster band. It's still crappy, but looks better in a business casual environment and if it gets lost or broken while I'm in the woods or the water I'm out like $10 for the band and $35ish for the watch.

I also have a Citizen Eco-Drive that is my more "dressy" watch, even though it is still in the casual arena. If I need to dress up a little I swap it for the Timex and put on my actual wedding band (I wear a silicone one most of the time). That watch is around $200 retail and I've had it for a little over ten years at this point. It has a silver face which I'm not all that fond of, but it does the trick.

The next time I put down money on a watch, I'm going to get this one: https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/mens-promaster-diver/BN0191-55L.html?cgid=trend-sea#start=11

[Image: Promaster%20Diver.png?u=41zuoe]

MSRP is $395, but I can probably get it for around $250 if I do it right.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 02:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am one of those folks that actually still wears a watch on a daily basis. My daily driver is just a Timex Expedition that looks like a diver's watch face but isn't really. I swapped out the crappy leather band for a cheap stainless oyster band. It's still crappy, but looks better in a business casual environment and if it gets lost or broken while I'm in the woods or the water I'm out like $10 for the band and $35ish for the watch.

I also have a Citizen Eco-Drive that is my more "dressy" watch, even though it is still in the casual arena. If I need to dress up a little I swap it for the Timex and put on my actual wedding band (I wear a silicone one most of the time). That watch is around $200 retail and I've had it for a little over ten years at this point. It has a silver face which I'm not all that fond of, but it does the trick.

The next time I put down money on a watch, I'm going to get this one: https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/mens-promaster-diver/BN0191-55L.html?cgid=trend-sea#start=11

[Image: Promaster%20Diver.png?u=41zuoe]

MSRP is $395, but I can probably get it for around $250 if I do it right.

I sport a Citizen Eco-Drive chronograph too.  It's an older model, so it's hard to find pics, but this is it.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQx7BEjpPap2VVBkAU6rK...sYspBoCZBQ]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I've thought about a Citizen too or perhaps a Sieko.. I will admit I've had good luck with Invicta's.. I spent about $115 last time.  Still beats those cheapo Walmart watches even though they also sell higher end watches. If you're paying MSRP you're blowing money like a football player headed into bankruptcy. lol
My old Invicta msrp was around $800.. Manufacturer suggested retail price might as just be telling retailers to go out and sell to crackheads.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
You might consider a Tissot.  A bit more pricey but if you want a watch that is going to last a very long time I think it's worth it.  I have had mine for several years and it has been very durable.  Here is mine, a few scratches here and there over the years but still one of my favorite watches. It has nice weight to it due to the thicker case which I like. When I wear a watch I prefer to know I have it on. And more importantly it keeps excellent time.

[Image: rldBHKd.jpg]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 07:16 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: You might consider a Tissot.  A bit more pricey but if you want a watch that is going to last a very long time I think it's worth it.  I have had mine for several years and it has been very durable.  Here is mine, a few scratches here and there over the years but still one of my favorite watches. It has nice weight to it due to the thicker case which I like. When I wear a watch I prefer to know I have it on. And more importantly it keeps excellent time.

[Image: rldBHKd.jpg]

That's one of the reasons I want the Citizen I shared a picture of. My current Citizen has held up really well, but it just isn't made to take a beating. The diver's watch I want is.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 03:05 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I sport a Citizen Eco-Drive chronograph too.  It's an older model, so it's hard to find pics, but this is it.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQx7BEjpPap2VVBkAU6rK...sYspBoCZBQ]

I don't wear a chrono, just a plain dial. I have a Timex chrono that gathers dust. I just don't have the need for it, really.

Reply/Quote
I bought a Citizen eco-drive a few years back and still is around the same retail. Model AT4004-52E (had to look it up). Luckily I got it at JC Pennies when they were having a sale on them and also another discount of some kind. Anyways retail its around $600, got it for well under $500, and is working just as good today as it was when I got it. Those batteries are the real deal in them too.

[Image: 91NkRUKiQyL._UY445_.jpg]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Found a decent watch that's not only free shipping, but also 13% off too.

[Image: audemars-piguet-royal-oak-offshore-18car...44bc01.jpg]

It's a Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore 18-carat White Gold Diamond Pave Automatic Men's Watch.

If you have the spare change Grampa, after discount, it runs for just over $1,345,000.00
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 10:16 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Found a decent watch that's not only free shipping, but also 13% off too.

[Image: audemars-piguet-royal-oak-offshore-18car...44bc01.jpg]

It's a Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore 18-carat White Gold Diamond Pave Automatic Men's Watch.

If you have the spare change Grampa, after discount, it runs for just over $1,345,000.00

That's what I'm talking about!  you take that watch fishing with you and the fish will just jump in the boat with ya.  you don't even need to get the pole wet.  :)
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I have a 3 or 4 Citizen watches. 

[Image: BM6560-54H_1.jpg]

This is the one I wear on a daily basis reason being it's titanium and really light weight. I also have a couple fossil watches that are more for style that run anywhere from 75-150.
Reply/Quote
I just recently got into watches, actually. My wife bought me a Seiko SKX007 for my anniversary and I love it. Its a dive watch. Seiko has awesome automatic, built in house watches at great price points.

The next watch on my list is an Orient sun and moon or an Orient open heart. Friggin beautiful, quality watches at awesome price points. Check them out, you may like them.

https://www.orient-watch.com/Collections/ORIENT/Classic/ORIENT%3A-Mechanical-Classic-Watch/p/RA-AG0001S
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
This is the Seiko SKX007

[Image: 51sPBGIlOkL.jpg]

This is the Orient Open Heart

[Image: bnib_orient_automatic_open_heart_fag0000...b2efde.jpg]

Orient sun and moon

[Image: wLJnsL3.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 09:12 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is the Seiko SKX007

[Image: 51sPBGIlOkL.jpg]

I could get on board with the Seiko. I would like it in a blue watch face, though. I prefer white, ivory, or blue watch faces. I used to have a Seiko 5 (a lower end model) that I loved (and it had a blue face LOL). It came off my wrist one day and I have no idea what happened to it. I was so pissed. That was when I got this Timex.

Edit: found the one I want.
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

I should note that I don't just like dive watches because they are awesome watches. I am also someone that looks for any excuse possible to be in the water and have done a fair amount of diving and snorkeling.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 10:00 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I could get on board with the Seiko. I would like it in a blue watch face, though. I prefer white, ivory, or blue watch faces. I used to have a Seiko 5 (a lower end model) that I loved (and it had a blue face LOL). It came off my wrist one day and I have no idea what happened to it. I was so pissed. That was when I got this Timex.

Edit: found the one I want.
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

I should note that I don't just like dive watches because they are awesome watches. I am also someone that looks for any excuse possible to be in the water and have done a fair amount of diving and snorkeling.

Nice looking watch. Is that their turtle model? I think that model is what replaced the SKX line. There is also the skx009 which has a pepsi bezel and blue face. Beautiful watch: 

[Image: SKX009-SJ-4.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 08:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't wear a chrono, just a plain dial. I have a Timex chrono that gathers dust. I just don't have the need for it, really.

I don't NEED one....I just like em....lol. Although the military time is handy.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 10:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Nice looking watch. Is that their turtle model? I think that model is what replaced the SKX line. There is also the skx009 which has a pepsi bezel and blue face. Beautiful watch: 

[Image: SKX009-SJ-4.jpg]

That is a Turtle. I'm not a big fan of the Pepsi bezel. I have a weird thing about red. Blue, green, and purple, that's where I tend to roll. Blue is most common for me, purple happens more because of work than anything, and green is my second favorite color after blue. It's a nice color wheel trifecta.

Reply/Quote