Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watching Lewis early teams...wow.
I watching some games from 2005 and 2006 seasons.
I know the game was a bit different schematically
but talk about emotional contrast.
Marvins early Bengal teams had some confidence and swagger about them.
maybe thats the personalities of the roster collectively.
defensively guys were flying to the football.
the tackling was actual wrapping up eyes to the sky
even in that playoff loss to Pittsburgh
they still had confidence and drove the ball for 17 pts in the 1st half.
now today....
I see guys with none of that attitude overall.
Reply/Quote
I know what you mean, they look apathetic a lot of the time. It's strange, little to no energy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This team has not been the same since the playoff loss to the Steelers. They had started to get that swagger back and had the won the game it probably would have changed the course of the team.

That was the time to shit can ML and get a new staff in.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 03:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I know what you mean, they look apathetic a lot of the time. It's strange, little to no energy.

From all accounts, Dre and Dunlap are constantly dancing and being loud and providing energy.

Mixon tries to do that too on offense, as we all know.

Cockiness is not good though; The Saints were being beyond cocky on Sunday (yes, they are probably the best team in the NFC, I know) and it just makes them look like showboaters and all that crap; aside from Brees and Bushrod, none of those guys have won anything more than the Bengals and they're acting like have and like they've been there before, despite that not being the case.

Low class. Like the Stoolers.

Brees, who HAS won stuff (as mentioned and we all know), never celebrated, never showboated, etc.

That's class.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 03:54 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: This team has not been the same since the playoff loss to the Steelers. They had started to get that swagger back and had the won the game it probably would have changed the course of the team.

That was the time to shit can ML and get a new staff in.

Oh there's no doubt ML should have been gone the day after that loss. And two or three other times before that.

(11-14-2018, 04:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: From all accounts, Dre and Dunlap are constantly dancing and being loud and providing energy.

Cockiness is not good though; The Saints were being beyond cocky on Sunday (yes, they are probably the best team in the NFC, I know) and it just makes them look like showboaters and all that crap; aside from Brees and Bushrod, none of those guys have won anything more than the Bengals and they're acting like have and like they've been there before, despite that not being the case.

Brees, who HAS won stuff (as mentioned and we all know), never celebrated, never showboated, etc.

That's class.

Oh I agree, there's a fine line between confidence and cockiness and you don't wanna cross the line. But it's easy to see overall the spirit of this team has been broken. Can they recover ?
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 04:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: From all accounts, Dre and Dunlap are constantly dancing and being loud and providing energy.

That's class.

This right here is what is bringing down the Jags this year--hubris.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
We've had players with that type of attitude since 2005-06

Heck, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict are the embodiment of that swagger you're talking about, and they helped cost us a playoff win in 2015.
Do you mean guys like Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, and so on?
Because we've had Chad for years after that.
Jeremy Hill definitely had confidence and swagger to him.
As has Jermaine Gresham.
Heck, Jermaine Gresham was always fired up on the field. He would be the first person to congratulate a player on a TD, defend a player in an altercation, jump up and down, etc. He may not have been the greatest tight end, but he definitely had heart.
Dre Kirkpatrick. Carlos Dunlap. Peko.
There's been NUMEROUS players like that before.

But yes, schemes were different.
And the Bengals were the 5th worst defense in 2005. They also gave up the 11th most points in the NFL that year too.
In 2006? 3rd worst defense in the NFL.

Much better in points, as they ranked 17th.

Also, the Bengals were 6-10 against teams with winning records those two years.
From 2012-13, the Bengals were 7-5 against teams with winning records.

The defense is awful now, but let's not act like Marvin's early years were completely amazing. They had faults. It was the Bengals first success in SO many years, and it deserves praise.
But to act like those teams are much different than the other talented teams the Bengals have put together since doesn't really work; as Marvin has put together teams very much like his early years.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 08:29 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: But yes, schemes were different.
And the Bengals were the 5th worst defense in 2005. They also gave up the 11th most points in the NFL that year too.

The defense is awful now, but let's not act like Marvin's early years were completely amazing. They had faults. It was the Bengals first success in SO many years, and it deserves praise.
But to act like those teams are much different than the other talented teams the Bengals have put together since doesn't really work; as Marvin has put together teams very much like his early years.

BUT....31 INTs and 22 fumble recoveries in 2005....  That was what that team did....  Turnover machine
Reply/Quote
Marvin is a shell of what he used to be. Call it working for Mike Brown too long, call it becoming "Bengalized", call it Marvins true colors coming out, call it whatever you want. But bottom line: he's changed.

Early on, Marvins teams were hungry. They fought hard for every win from 2003-2005 (shit fell apart down the stretch of 2006, a microcosm of what Marvins teams would become but that's another story Whatever ). Now, Marvin is the most frustrating head coach imaginable. I was ecstatic with the Marvin hire at the time and woke up every day relieved and thankful that Marvin Lewis was the Bengals head coach. I felt that way for years... Now I can't wait until a real change is made.

Crazy how things work out sometimes 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 07:48 PM)McC Wrote: This right here is what is bringing down the Jags this year--hubris.

Hubris?  I thought their godawful QB was named Bortles.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 11:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hubris?  I thought their godawful QB was named Bortles.

Oh, sure, he's obviously part of it.  But he was the same guy last year when they were playing a good game and not just talking it. Once you start thinking you have arrived, you're gone.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 11:55 AM)McC Wrote: Oh, sure, he's obviously part of it.  But he was the same guy last year when they were playing a good game and not just talking it.  Once you start thinking you have arrived, you're gone.

So Blake Bortles is being a braggadocios d-bag this year?  I honestly haven't kept track of the guy.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 12:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So Blake Bortles is being a braggadocios d-bag this year?  I honestly haven't kept track of the guy.

No.  Not him.  I'd say he's silently thanking his lucky stars.  He got a contract from running for some key first downs and making a few good throws a game at opportune times.  He Flacco-ed a playoff run into a payoff. 

Teammates of his.   Sometimes if you go from down trodden to suddenly running with the big boys, the confidence that comes with it can get away from a guy.  Or a team.   

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 12:16 PM)McC Wrote: No.  Not him.  I'd say he's silently thanking his lucky stars.  He got a contract from running for some key first downs and making a few good throws a game at opportune times.  He Flacco-ed a playoff run into a payoff. 

Teammates of his.   Sometimes if you go from down trodden to suddenly running with the big boys, the confidence that comes with it can get away from a guy.  Or a team.   

Either that or the Jaguars have had 1 winning season in the past decade.  
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 12:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Either that or the Jaguars have had 1 winning season in the past decade.  

Right.  And they couldn't handle it, which is my point.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 01:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Was Jalen Ramsey a humble soul when they made the AFC Championship game? 

No,  and his disease appeared to be contagious.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 01:04 PM)McC Wrote: No,  and his disease appeared to be contagious.

That would explain why we never win.  Mike Brown's hubris that he can run a football team has rubbed off on the entire franchise.  Makes sense that those humble Steelers have won 7 in a row against us.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 11:25 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Marvin is a shell of what he used to be. Call it working for Mike Brown too long, call it becoming "Bengalized", call it Marvins true colors coming out, call it whatever you want. But bottom line: he's changed.

Early on, Marvins teams were hungry. They fought hard for every win from 2003-2005 (shit fell apart down the stretch of 2006, a microcosm of what Marvins teams would become but that's another story Whatever ). Now, Marvin is the most frustrating head coach imaginable. I was ecstatic with the Marvin hire at the time and woke up every day relieved and thankful that Marvin Lewis was the Bengals head coach. I felt that way for years... Now I can't wait until a real change is made.

This
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 01:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That would explain why we never win.  Mike Brown's hubris that he can run a football team has rubbed off on the entire franchise.  Makes sense that those humble Steelers have won 7 in a row against us.
Isn't it hard work being always sarcastic all the time about everything?  Doesn't seem worth the effort.  

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 08:29 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: We've had players with that type of attitude since 2005-06

Heck, Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict are the embodiment of that swagger you're talking about, and they helped cost us a playoff win in 2015.
Do you mean guys like Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, and so on?
Because we've had Chad for years after that.
Jeremy Hill definitely had confidence and swagger to him.
As has Jermaine Gresham.
Heck, Jermaine Gresham was always fired up on the field. He would be the first person to congratulate a player on a TD, defend a player in an altercation, jump up and down, etc. He may not have been the greatest tight end, but he definitely had heart.
Dre Kirkpatrick. Carlos Dunlap. Peko.
There's been NUMEROUS players like that before.

But yes, schemes were different.

I agree with this but i also agree about the lack of swagger right now.

Have to have a little fire and even Burfict shown none in the Chiefs game. We need a DC that is a mean sumbitch
next year to bring some of this to this Defense. I like our players on Defense much better than what we had in 2005.

I want to see how much different the Defense is this Sunday with Marv taking over.
Reply/Quote