Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watson now suspended 11 games/$5 million fine-update
(08-11-2022, 01:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have an idea that the NFL wants for Cleveland to have to pay Watson that big money to not play this season, for their role in enabling him to pay off those civil suits.

His salary is only 1 mil this year.  As you know Cleveland built the contract to avoid paying suspension money.

Thus if the NFL wants to extract money from Watson they will need to fine him.  Most fines are in the ballpark of 10's of thousands of dollars not millions.  

It has been reported that when the NFL, the NFLPA and Watson were at the negotiation table before and after presenting to the judge, but before her decision, the NFL wanted a minimum 12 game suspension and a 10 million dollar fine.  Watson rejected this deal.  The unprecedented fine is the NFL's reaction to Watson's contract which was designed to avoid paying money.

Now that the ball is completely in the NFL's court, and Watson continues to proclaim his innocence, while showing no remorse, even after the judge found him guilty, expect the penalty to be even worse than the NFL's previous minimum negotiating position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 03:06 PM)Stewy Wrote: His salary is only 1 mil this year.  As you know Cleveland built the contract to avoid paying suspension money.

Thus if the NFL wants to extract money from Watson they will need to fine him.  Most fines are in the ballpark of 10's of thousands of dollars not millions.  

It has been reported that when the NFL, the NFLPA and Watson were at the negotiation table before and after presenting to the judge, but before her decision, the NFL wanted a minimum 12 game suspension and a 10 million dollar fine.  Watson rejected this deal.  The unprecedented fine is the NFL's reaction to Watson's contract which was designed to avoid paying money.

Now that the ball is completely in the NFL's court, and Watson continues to proclaim his innocence, while showing no remorse, even after the judge found him guilty, expect the penalty to be even worse than the NFL's previous minimum negotiating position.

I was thinking that the huge signing bonus gave Watson the ability to make all of those settlements.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Watson's camp has indicated they are willing to accept an 8 game suspension, which would put him out for the 10/31 MNF game with the Bengals, and a $5,000,000 fine. I have a feeling from Goodell's statements that this deal won't get off the table. It might have if he had been willing to deal weeks ago but not now. With his GTD salary of $230,000,000 that $5 million fine is not nearly enough

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
The league should stand firm on the entire season.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 08:34 PM)pally Wrote: Watson's camp has indicated they are willing to accept an 8 game suspension, which would put him out for the 10/31 MNF game with the Bengals, and a $5,000,000 fine.  I have a feeling from Goodell's statements that this deal won't get off the table.  It might have if he had been willing to deal weeks ago but not now. With his GTD salary of $230,000,000 that $5 million fine is not nearly enough

They're willing to completely change their stance on punishment a day after "Egregious" and "predatory".  

It has been reported that the league wanted a min of 12 games so Watson would not be on the field for Cleveland at Texans week 12.  The league will not budge on Watson NOT being on the field in Houston.  Apparently they do not want the spectacle, the attention or the potential impact on the victims being hounded by the press leading up to the game.  The league will not budge off this stance, so Watson's camps offer of 8 games is friggin ignorant because they know Goodell's stance on the matter.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2022, 10:03 PM)Stewy Wrote: They're willing to completely change their stance on punishment a day after "Egregious" and "predatory".  

It has been reported that the league wanted a min of 12 games so Watson would not be on the field for Cleveland at Texans week 12.  The league will not budge on Watson NOT being on the field in Houston.  Apparently they do not want the spectacle, the attention or the potential impact on the victims being hounded by the press leading up to the game.  The league will not budge off this stance, so Watson's camps offer of 8 games is friggin ignorant because they know Goodell's stance on the matter.

Well does not matter if they don't budge final decision is in the hands of Harvey and you can tell he is allowing time for settlement.  I think it will be settled at 10 games now with 10 to 15 million fine, which would be be all the salary he made last year and then some.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 04:50 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well does not matter if they don't budge final decision is in the hands of Harvey and you can tell he is allowing time for settlement.  I think it will be settled at 10 games now with 10 to 15 million fine, which would be be all the salary he made last year and then some.

i dont think the NFL will settle for less than 1 full season... Its been what they have said every step of the way that they wanted.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 09:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i dont think the NFL will settle for less than 1 full season... Its been what they have said every step of the way that they wanted.

And I don't think if it goes to Harvey that he will go from 6 games froma 3ts party  judge to 17 games the NFL wants that will seem very partisan .
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 11:27 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And I don't think if it goes to Harvey that he will go from 6 games froma 3ts party  judge to 17 games the NFL wants that will seem very partisan .

He's giving watson time to try and Settle before dropping the full season. i believe...  

As the league has the right to push that full season per contract 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 11:27 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And I don't think if it goes to Harvey that he will go from 6 games froma 3ts party  judge to 17 games the NFL wants that will seem very partisan .

(08-17-2022, 11:32 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: He's giving watson time to try and Settle before dropping the full season. i believe...  

As I have stated several times - the league (as stated by Goodell) wants a minimum 12 games so Watson won't be on the field @Houston week 12.  All the boo's and attacks he got in the preseason will be multiplied 100x during week 12 with him on the field.

You all need to quit thinking of numbers less than 12 games.  12 is the minimum, period.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 11:32 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: He's giving watson time to try and Settle before dropping the full season. i believe...  

Sure nfl has a right justvas watson has a right for less, as I stated since a 3rd party already rules I would be surprised that Harvey would go that extreme from 6 to 17
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 05:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Sure nfl has a right justvas watson has a right for less, as I stated since a 3rd party already rules I would be surprised that Harvey would go that extreme from 6 to 17

Do you even know who the guy is and what he represents?  He is a loaded gun for Goodell.  For multitudes of reasons in several posts in this thread I have explained why the league wants at least 12 games.  I'm beginning to think you have me on ignore.  Harvey is not a neutral party.  he was party of the punishment committee that threw the book at Zeke Elliot for a single more questionable incident vs. the 26+ associated with Watson.  

The facts are that the independent Arbiter found DW guilty.  Period.  She followed precedent, which was 6 games.  Under negotiated league rules, the league has the right to change the punishment, with the accused having NO RECOURSE.  Those are the rules.  Goodell doesn't want DW on the field when the Browns go to Houston, which is at least 12 games.  The minimum is 12.  Period.  Start from there.  Stop trying to add logic to it.  Goodell wants at least 12, and that's where you start.  Harvey is Goodell's yes man, not intendent and unbiased.
Reply/Quote
c

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 12:56 PM)pally Wrote: c

There you go.  Exactly as I said - 11 games gets him suspended through week 12 (bye week included).  He will not be on the field for Houston as Goodell wanted all along.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 01:10 PM)Stewy Wrote: There you go.  Exactly as I said - 11 games gets him suspended through week 12 (bye week included).  He will not be on the field for Houston as Goodell wanted all along.

They play the Texans week 13.  Watson will play

Reply/Quote
He got off so insanely lightly, holy shit. I actually believed Roger would do the right thing this time.

Fool me once, I guess...
Reply/Quote
Those of you saying the "NFL and Rodger blew it!" crack me up.

They LITERALLY don't care what the public thinks because they KNOW you will still watch the games...which you will.

Public perception is nothing to them.

People will talk about this for 6 months, then forget about it, and the NFL will continue to make insane amounts of money off of you.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 01:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Those of you saying the "NFL and Rodger blew it!" crack me up.

They LITERALLY don't care what the public thinks because they KNOW you will still watch the games...which you will.

Public perception is nothing to them.

People will talk about this for 6 months, then forget about it, and the NFL will continue to make insane amounts of money off of you.

Exactly. We saw it with Ben. What makes us think it’ll be any different now?!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 02:14 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Exactly. We saw it with Ben. What makes us think it’ll be any different now?!

IF he wasnt a Star Player it be way different but its the society we live in now
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 03:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: IF he wasnt a Star Player it be way different but its the society we live in now

Every woman in America knew it would end this way

Reply/Quote