Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Way Too Early MDD Simulation
Below is what I felt was an outstanding haul for the Bengals and one that I believe helps them now and in the future. I will post first the selections and then give some insight as to how the draft fell along with notables that were on the board when a selection was made. I felt this simulation ended up really well and hit some great values for the franchise. In this simulation I am assuming that the Bengals moved on from Jonah Williams. While he had some decent games at RT he still graded out overall under 59. I am also assuming that the Bengals will bring back their RFAs: Tanner Hudson, Trenton Irwin, and Cal Adomitis (ERFA).

Reply/Quote
RD. 1 - 18th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4O1uBZId8O6GV1fcAPEH...g&usqp=CAU]

#19 Amarius Mims - OT - Georgia - 6'7" 340

I have had some reservations about drafting a kid who only has 8 collegiate starts until I went back and watched every offensive snap in the Peach Bowl against a very good Ohio State defensive front and as well watched the offensive snaps against South Carolina, the game in which Mims got injured. Mims pure talent, football IQ, and strength were on display in both games and in the SC game what you see is a right side of the offensive line that was head and shoulders better with Mims playing RT.

While some may believe he comes with question marks what he absolutely comes with is elite size, strength, and length to couple with high level awareness and movement. The ceiling of Mims is far to high to pass on and he makes for one hell of a bookend with Orlando Brown Jr. Mims also has the ability to play left or right tackle giving the Bengals position flexibility if needed. Not only does it give the Bengals an incredible young talent at RT but the possibility of a franchise LT should they part company with Brown Jr. after his contract is up.

Notables on the board: #16 J. Latham - OT

RD. 2 - 49th Selection

When this selection rolled around I was not thrilled with the players on the board and did not see really great value for the Bengals in making a selection here without over drafting a player. I had some offers on the board and I was honestly targeting a couple of players that I felt could be gotten later while increasing draft capital later.

Notables on the board: #43 T. Nubin - S, #44 K. Jenkins - DT, #45 B. Murphy - DT, #47 E. Rakestraw Jr. - CB

At this point I decided to gamble to that I could still get one of my targeted players and traded the 49th selection to Tampa Bay for selections 2-57 and 4-125.

RD. 2 - 57th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTINq19MxEOzflS1qGzF_w...Q&usqp=CAU]

#62 Trey Benson - RB - Florida State - 6'1" 223

Benson is a special back and could very well be the piece that pushes this offense to the next level. Benson has shown there is not ill effects from his devastating '20 knee injury and has proven that the knee is 100% good to go. I have been a fan of Mixon but Benson is just different. When Benson identifies the hole, which he processes quickly, he explodes thru the hole with excellent acceleration. While he may not have elite speed he has more than enough functional speed to take it to the house when he gets to the open field. Benson also is an effective pass protector and shows willingness in the role.

Benson was not utilized overly as a pass catcher but when given the opportunity he showed very natural hands and ability. Benson and Brown should make for an extremely dynamic duo.  

Notables on the board: #43 T. Nubins - S, #44 K. Jenkins - DT, #51 E. Cooper - LB, #52 J. Sanders - TE, #54 J. Trotter Jr. - LB, #56 C. Bullock - S,
#58 B. Corum - RB,
Reply/Quote
RD. 3 - 80th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQiACVMD_M5Cn95ObVGvgl...A&usqp=CAU]

#81 McKinnley Jackson - DT - Texas A&M - 6'2" 325

I am certain I have the same hope as others and that is DJ Reader returning in '24. Even if Reader is returning this selection gives the Bengals a legit player to take some snaps off of Reader and if Reader does not return then the Bengals have a promising young NT. Jackson bring power and leverage to the position along with exceptional explosion of the snap and surprising short distance speed. Jackson is a high motor player that goes from whistle to whistle.

Notables on the board: #51 E. Cooper - LB, #52 J. Sanders - TE, #54 J. Trotter Jr. - LB, #56 C. Bullock - S, #61 J. Bullard - S, #73 Z. Frazier - C,
#76 C. Stover - TE

RD. 4 - 115th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTm1VUHJQfZo07gFRP964q...w&usqp=CAU]

#86 Brenden Rice - WR - USC - 6'3" 205

Rice was the highest rated player on the board and I felt getting this selection in the 4th round was an absolute steal. Rice brings the obvious football lineage as well as good enough speed to be a consistent deep threat and an outstanding catch radius. He goes after the ball with authority and the body control he shows in similar to that of his father. Brenden is still growing in the position and will need to continue to improve his consistency but he has a really high ceiling. Brenden should fit very well in the receiver room for the Bengals and gives Joe one more good young weapon to work with. Rice did show some promise as a returner as well when he was at Colorado.
Reply/Quote
RD. 4 - 125th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8cuPICtRs9ffBPI6zoE0...w&usqp=CAU]

#98 Cedric Gray - LB - North Carolina - 6'2" 235

Gray was the highest graded player on the board. Gray comes in the mold of a Pratt or Wilson. He is a hard nosed linebacker that excels in coverage. Gray is a very instinctive LB who displays an outstanding football IQ. He does not bring elite speed but certainly displays functional football speed for the position and in his ability to cover backs and TEs. There has been a drop off in ability when Pratt or Wilson are off the field and Gray is certainly a step in bridging that gap. Gray should be a welcome addition to the LB room and should see immediate snaps as a rookie on defense as well as providing special teams value with his skill set.

RD. 5 - 147th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2E-uHPOEbV1VR7R9pe8o...Q&usqp=CAU]

#147 Beaux Limmer - OL - Arkansas - 6'5" 307

The Bengals have been lacking any real quality depth at center since the arrival of Ted Karras and Limmer should resolve that. Limmer has drawn some comparisons in his game to Creed Humphrey. While not being on the same level as Humphrey he does show the same sort of football IQ and athleticism. As with most young linemen he will need to continue to grow in functional football strength and to refine technique issues. Limmer brings position versatility in having experience at guard as well as center.

RD. 5 - 174th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVdVHDcEbY_g0u-LtklPC...A&usqp=CAU]

#174 Kamel Hadden - CB - Tennessee - 6'1" 197

Hadden brings a good package of size, speed, length, and physicality to the CB position. He has displayed good ball skills and route awareness. Needs to refine his technique to keep from being beaten over the top but has the speed to play deep so this should be a correctable issue.
Reply/Quote
RD. 6 - 195th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7yHIvP6RstXibEb0NQxY...A&usqp=CAU]

#202 Brevyn Spann-Ford - TE - Minnesota - 6'7" 270

I believe Spann-Ford was one of the most underutilized TEs in college football. When he was used as a receiver he showed to be a very natural pass catcher and is very athletic for his size. As to be expected he is a tough tackle when the ball is in his hands and usually has not issues with out jumping DBs for contested catches. When you talk blocking Spann-Ford is like having another lineman on the field. He needs to work on some areas as a receiver but someone with his size and athletic ability is a developmental risk worth taking.

RD. 7 - 234th Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS735t0o4G-AwK03sLC1bA...A&usqp=CAU]

#194 Walter Rouse - OT - Oklahoma - 6'6" 322

Oklahoma has been churning out quality offensive linemen for a very long time. Rouse began his college football journey at Stanford so smarts should certainly not be an issue for this young man. On the field Rouse has shown good athleticism and movement to go along with natural power. In his time at Oklahoma he has shown the ability to effectively get to the second level and to make good blocks while on the move. Rouse will need to hone some technique issues such as bend and his stance when he sets against the pass rush. Pass protecting will need the most work as he appears comfortable and natural in the area of run blocking. Provides the Bengals with a legit swing tackle with the position flex to play either side of the line.

Round 7 - 251st Selection

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxt_DZe1iwlGHWN3biGGN...g&usqp=CAU]

#208 Quinton Newsome - CB - Nebraska - 6'1" 185

Newsome brings good height and length to the position but could probably stand to put a couple of pounds on. Has shown to have really solid cover skills and the speed to run with deep threats. Newsome will need to improve the most in run support and work on being a more solid tackler rather than a hitter. Overall, Newsome comes with a solid upside and is a player that could be valuable as depth in the DB room or if continues to develop to be a good starting CB at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote