Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Way to not trade anyone
(10-29-2019, 09:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd actually welcome that. Atleast their moves would make sense in hindsight.

I feel like the plan is just no plan.

The NFL is a brutal sport if you are inept. In the NBA, you get a Top pick...and you can get a star and turn things around quick. In the NFL, with 22 players starting and depth...you have to know what you are doing and hit on dozens of players.

It’s hard to hit on dozens of players when you have the league’s smallest scouting and player development staff, and force the coaches who should be game planning to scout. This front office is the laughingstock of the league.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 09:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd actually welcome that. Atleast their moves would make sense in hindsight.

The NFL is a brutal sport if you are inept. In the NBA, you get a Top pick...and you can get a star and turn things around quick. In the NFL, with 22 players starting and depth...you have to know what you are doing and hit on dozens of players.

I believe that's Mike's biggest downfall !

He's never really had a plan as our GM and has no idea how to even go about putting one in place. And to arrogant/stupid to admit he doesn't know how to do it and hire somebody who does.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 09:46 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: It’s hard to hit on dozens of players when you have the league’s smallest scouting and player development staff, and force the coaches who should be game planning to scout.  This front office is the laughingstock of the league.

Yes - Which is why EVERY TEAM in the league has more scouts than us.

People say, 'Copy the 49ers'. Well they have some 28 people. The Bengals have like 8-9.

You can analyze their picks and try to copy them...but you can't.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 09:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - Which is why EVERY TEAM in the league has more scouts than us.

People say, 'Copy the 49ers'. Well they have some 28 people. The Bengals have like 8-9.

You can analyze their picks and try to copy them...but you can't.

That and they would actually have to try in free agency.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
God the bengals suck. Mike brown sucks Duke tobin sucks troy blackburn sucks Katie blackburn sucks. until those 4 are gone honestly this team is not worth rooting for. shut the forum down those are the facts...nothing else said is worth the time to type
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 09:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd actually welcome that. Atleast their moves would make sense in hindsight.

I agree.  I can see why folks would say the plan is to create a justification to not get a new lease so they can pull up and move, but if we've learned anything its to never underestimate MBs idiocy.  

If they move I'll probably use it as an opportunity to jump ship to another team, or just quit watching the NFL entirely.  Sticking with them would require new competent ownership and a city I could reasonably expect to make it to a game once a season.  ie St Louis 

In a perfect world MB croaks, new ownership starts making common sense moves, and the Bengals are rejuvenated.
[Image: proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2...a3b09aaec9]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 09:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe that's Mike's biggest downfall !

He's never really had a plan as our GM and has no idea how to even go about putting one in place. And to arrogant/stupid to admit he doesn't know how to do it and hire somebody who does.

Mike's plan seems very "what am I required to do?  Ok, I'll do that."  I'm not required to hire a GM, so I'll do that.  Not required to build a practice facility.  Not required  to give players gatorate or shampoo for free or do other things that improve morale and keep up with other franchises.  Not required to hire a bunch of scouts.  Not required to sign a bunch of free agents or trade players or move around before during or after the draft.  Not required to have a ring of honor.  

What do I have to do?  Well, I can't make my family coaches...the NFL will catch onto that so they're all front office people.  I actually have to use the draft picks every NFL team gets...that's fine, works for me but I don't have to wheel-n-deal for more picks..that's stressful and not required.  I've got to spend a certain amount of money...damn NFL.  

And so on.  Mike Brown just doesn't do many things that aren't required by the NFL.  So be it.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 11:05 PM)UKWhoDey Wrote: I agree.  I can see why folks would say the plan is to create a justification to not get a new lease so they can pull up and move, but if we've learned anything its to never underestimate MBs idiocy.  

If they move I'll probably use it as an opportunity to jump ship to another team, or just quit watching the NFL entirely.  Sticking with them would require new competent ownership and a city I could reasonably expect to make it to a game once a season.  ie St Louis 

In a perfect world MB croaks, new ownership starts making common sense moves, and the Bengals are rejuvenated.

Honestly...I doubt that Katie and Troy run the team drastically different than now. IF anything, it might be worse.

They'll have their opportunity to show that they can win on their own...and they'll likely take it. Which...likely won't lead to great results as neither of them would be GM's on other teams.
Reply/Quote
Just hope katie sells the team after mikey drops dead
Reply/Quote
If this franchise were a meal, it wouldn't even be a grilled cheese sandwich or pigs in a blanket.  Hell, I don't think that they're even cold cereal.  Cold hotdog straight out of the fridge? Melted granola bar that was left in the car on a hot day? Chicken byproduct meal that's been pried off of someone's shoe?!? Nope, nope, and NO WAY. They're more like a fine baked roadkill, or perhaps a tantalizing tire fire flambe.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 09:42 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I can't quit the Bengals because I hate myself and am a glutton for punishment.

Queue The Offspring's Self Esteem in 3..2..1
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
No one was really dealing at the deadline. The media built it up to be far bigger a moment then what it was. The reality is outside of Eiffert we can still trade everyone after the season and many will have more value if they can rebound in the second half. Even Eiffert could be brought back on another cheap deal since he has had a pretty lack luster season and he could just value familiarity at this point.

This really wasn't this organizational changing moment like people made it out to be. I actually think we will move on from some guys after the season as potential pieces in jockeying for draft position.
Reply/Quote
Bengals traded 2019 irrelevance for 2020 irrelevance.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 04:22 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: If this franchise were a meal, it wouldn't even be a grilled cheese sandwich or pigs in a blanket.  Hell, I don't think that they're even cold cereal.  Cold hotdog straight out of the fridge? Melted granola bar that was left in the car on a hot day? Chicken byproduct meal that's been pried off of someone's shoe?!? Nope, nope, and NO WAY. They're more like a fine baked roadkill, or perhaps a tantalizing tire fire flambe.

Not even Spam?
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 08:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you do decide to change team allegiances, please let the staff know, so that we may edit your profile accordingly..   Ninja

Lord knows most of us have tried in the past. I don't even live in the area anymore with no intentions of coming back and STILL haven't been able to pull the trigger. The best I can hope for is to just not pay attention anymore. Can we have a category for those who no longer care? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 11:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Mike's plan seems very "what am I required to do?  Ok, I'll do that."  I'm not required to hire a GM, so I'll do that.  Not required to build a practice facility.  Not required  to give players gatorate or shampoo for free or do other things that improve morale and keep up with other franchises.  Not required to hire a bunch of scouts.  Not required to sign a bunch of free agents or trade players or move around before during or after the draft.  Not required to have a ring of honor.  

What do I have to do?  Well, I can't make my family coaches...the NFL will catch onto that so they're all front office people.  I actually have to use the draft picks every NFL team gets...that's fine, works for me but I don't have to wheel-n-deal for more picks..that's stressful and not required.  I've got to spend a certain amount of money...damn NFL.  

And so on.  Mike Brown just doesn't do many things that aren't required by the NFL.  So be it.

This is so true.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bears could have been a darkhorse SB candidate with Dalton according to rumors Bears were offering a 2 and a 4.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:11 AM)grampahol Wrote: Lord knows most of us have tried in the past. I don't even live in the area anymore with no intentions of coming back and STILL haven't been able to pull the trigger. The best I can hope for is to just not pay attention anymore. Can we have a category for those who no longer care? 

You're not alone either.  Plenty of Bengal fans have become disaffected over the years, but we don't "change allegiances" to other teams.  I'm a fan of football in general, and continue to follow the season, regardless of the Bengals fate.  

(btw, I'm sure most who are familiar with me know that my comment to the OP was meant tongue in cheek)  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 09:18 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Given MB's age and his family eventually taking over, I seriously would not be shocked to see that is the plan.  Piss off the local tax payers enough to encourage Hamilton County to allow them break the lease and move to another market where they can make a newer and better stadium deal.  They have 7 years left on the current deal.  It is going to be a hard sell the way the team is currently managed and performing to sell tax payers on funding anything Bengals stadium related past 2026.

My guess is within 7 years the team will be sold or make a deal that moves to a larger market like San Antonio, Portland, or Oklahoma City.  After all PBS has been struggling with filling the seats even during the best of years.

Side note: Man I can't believe I'm talking about the Bengals in 2026.  This makes me feel old.

I wouldn't let them off the hook. Make them be the laughing stock(oh wait they already are) by leaving the stands completely empty for the next seven years.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:23 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Bears could have been a darkhorse SB candidate with Dalton according to rumors Bears were offering a 2 and a 4.

Those picks could have went a long way toward retooling the team.  Weather they used them in the draft, or as trade collateral for an OL or LB, or whatever.  At some point, someone within the Management has to recognize that this stubbornness, articulated as "we're not trying to make other teams better", is only holding this very team back from moving forward.

What good does benching Andy do?  None.  Does anyone really think he will ever be resettled and completely comfortable as the starter again?  Nope.  They should have made the deal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote