Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Waynes may not be cut...
he might actually retire instead. He hasnt played but a few snaps the last 2 years, he wasnt given a look when Awuzie was hurt and he is approaching 30.

I bring this up as I'm not sure what impact retiring has on Dead Cap vs cutting? Might be the very same.

Waynes cap hit in 2022 is $15.86M with a dead cap of $5M.

Looking for every penny...
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: he might actually retire instead.  He hasnt played but a few snaps the last 2 years, he wasnt given a look when Awuzie was hurt and he is approaching 30.

I bring this up as I'm not sure what impact retiring has on Dead Cap vs cutting?  Might be the very same.

Could we get money back? (besides just the savings of paying him to not play)
Reply/Quote
Is this funny money coming out of your own personal bank account? Personally I don't care what they do with their money since they ain't sharing even a plug nickle with me.. Spend it all on hookers and blow for all I care.. Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: he might actually retire instead.  He hasnt played but a few snaps the last 2 years, he wasnt given a look when Awuzie was hurt and he is approaching 30.

I bring this up as I'm not sure what impact retiring has on Dead Cap vs cutting.  Might be the very same.

Not sure of the impact from a cap perspective, but I've been of the mind that they need to cut Waynes and use that money to extend / resign Bates. 

Hopefully if he retires, we don't take a cap hit and can use this money for Bates.   That way we have the rest of the cap space to resign others as well and fix the OLine.  
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:36 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: Not sure of the impact from a cap perspective, but I've been of the mind that they need to cut Waynes and use that money to extend / resign Bates. 

Hopefully if he retires, we don't take a cap hit and can use this money for Bates.   That way we have the rest of the cap space to resign others as well and fix the OLine.  

Regardless we will save at the least over $10M cut or retire.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: Is this funny money coming out of your own personal bank account? Personally I don't care what they do with their money since they ain't sharing even a plug nickle with me.. Spend it all on hookers and blow for all I care.. Cool

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I have no idea what that means but I bet it’s a way for Free Money Waynes to get the most money out of Mikes pocket.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:41 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I have no idea what that means but I bet it’s a way for Free Money Waynes to get the most money out of Mikes pocket.

I suspect Waynes is holding on for dear life and trying like hell to rid himself of all debt before the axe actually falls.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: Is this funny money coming out of your own personal bank account? Personally I don't care what they do with their money since they ain't sharing even a plug nickel with me.. Spend it all on hookers and blow for all I care.. Cool

For the Browns, who are second from the bottom of NFL owners in terms of wealth, the bottom line is always key. They are not independently wealthy from oil or other businesses like most of the other owners. The Bengals franchise is their business. 

[See list of owners and their wealth on this page: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Glass-Half-Full-or-Half-Empty?page=3]

Other owners, such as the superrich Rams owner (who also is married to a superrich Walmart heiress) and Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones, run their teams concerned about increasing the value of their franchise and the prestige of being owners of an NFL team. A particular year's profit doesn't mean nearly as much to them as it does for the Browns, for whom the Bengals is their livelihood. 

That is a big reason that Bengals fans are concerned about the finances of the franchise. To be successful, we need the Browns to want to spend every penny possible. So saving every penny from bad contracts does impact us directly as fans.
Reply/Quote
Worst contract we’ve given out in my time as a fan beside Odom
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:57 PM)Housh Wrote: Worst contract we’ve given out in my time as a fan beside Odom

Antonio Bryant was bad too.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:43 PM)grampahol Wrote: I suspect Waynes is holding on for dear life and trying like hell to rid himself of all debt before the axe actually falls.. 

What makes you think he's in debt? The piece of property he bought for $4.5 million (that adjoins my property in Montana) he could flip today for $8 million. His game ranch in Kalispell, MT would net him triple the.price he paid for it, netting him another $6 million. Maybe your standard of living is way beyond mine, but roughly $10 million from selling 2 properties (and he has a game ranch in the south too) doesn't sound like someone who needs to "try like hell to rid himself of debt."
Reply/Quote
Eh. Waynes is gone either way and I hope Adeniji joins him as well as Hargreaves. Outside of that I'm okay with retaining the rest.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 04:44 PM)Joelist Wrote: Eh. Waynes is gone either way and I hope Adeniji joins him as well as Hargreaves. Outside of that I'm okay with retaining the rest.

I believe Vernon is long gone.
Reply/Quote
Why would he retire with a year left on his contract? I'm not 100% sure but if he retires I'd think he gets nothing from the last year.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:35 PM)grampahol Wrote:  Spend it all on hookers and blow for all I care.. Cool

In my experience it is easier to deal with dead cap money than dead hooker money.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 05:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In my experience it is easier to deal with dead cap hits than dead hooker hits.

Depends how many vans and dumpsters you have access too...  Ninja Ninja Ninja

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 04:58 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Why would he retire with a year left on his contract? I'm not 100% sure but if he retires I'd think he gets nothing from the last year.

Pretty sure his contract was not 100% guaranteed.  Wouldnt matter either way cut or retired.
Reply/Quote
If Waynes retires, Mike Brown can get back $5m of the $15m signing bonus. Waynes isn't going to retire if instead he can just get cut and not have to give back $5m.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 05:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In my experience it is easier to deal with dead cap money than dead hooker money.

I'm interested to hear more about your experience.
Reply/Quote