Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We’re getting to the point where no base defense limits us anymore
(11-03-2023, 09:19 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Yeah, some random fan on a message board could become overconfident and the Bengals could lose every game on the schedule because of him. 

Is this bad take week?

Must wear same unwashed underwear and socks for the last 3 weeks or bengals lose.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2023, 10:37 PM)125250 Wrote: No need for overconfidence or complacency.

(11-02-2023, 07:09 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Exactly, people, including the media talk like the Bengals are 3 time SB champs or something. 1 solid game so far. Arizona they looked a little better. I wish everyone including the media would not say a single word about Cincy. Then, if they somehow make it to the playoffs they can maybe ask if the Bengals are good enough to advance.

Yeah, some random fan on a message board could become overconfident and the Bengals could lose every game on the schedule because of him.

Yeah, because fans and media dictate the record.  

You 2 guys are running neck and neck in the bad take competition.....

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 09:24 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Yeah, some random fan on a message board could become overconfident and the Bengals could lose every game on the schedule because of him.

Yeah, because fans and media dictate the record.  

You 2 guys are running neck and neck in the bad take competition.....

Maybe we are just stating our real feelings. It's the truth, fans here and even the media gush over 1 game about how the Bengals are now a team to beat. Yes, they look better but hardly superior. I guess it's just after watching them always come up short after 55 years while seeing other teams collect several SB wins my expectations and comments are always reserved.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 10:21 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Maybe we are just stating our real feelings. It's the truth, fans here and even the media gush over 1 game about how the Bengals are now a team to beat. Yes, they look better but hardly superior. I guess it's just after watching them always come up short after 55 years while seeing other teams collect several SB wins my expectations and comments are always reserved.

You realize this isn't the first year of the team's existence, right? We are basically the same team that went to the AFCCG last season and the Super Bowl the season before that. How we looked on Sunday is how most NFL observers expected us to look this season since it's how we looked the last 2 seasons. So, no, it's not just "1 game". 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 10:40 AM)PhilHos Wrote: You realize this isn't the first year of the team's existence, right? We are basically the same team that went to the AFCCG last season and the Super Bowl the season before that. How we looked on Sunday is how most NFL observers expected us to look this season since it's how we looked the last 2 seasons. So, no, it's not just "1 game". 

Exactly, 55 years and NO SB trophy. The last 2 years of getting to a playoff and a SB and LOSING both means they are showing progress to me. So far, to this point IT IS just 1 game. What point are you trying to make? You can use Bold and large font all you want but the Bengals are 0-3 in the big game.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 10:21 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Maybe we are just stating our real feelings. It's the truth, fans here and even the media gush over 1 game about how the Bengals are now a team to beat. Yes, they look better but hardly superior. I guess it's just after watching them always come up short after 55 years while seeing other teams collect several SB wins my expectations and comments are always reserved.

The bengals looked superior over the niners. 5.5 point dogs turned 14 point victory… that’s a 19.5 point swing.

Outside of the NFCCG, where purdy couldn’t throw (4/4) and Josh Johnson also got hurt, you have to go back a full year to see the niners lose by double digits vs the Chiefs (October 23rd).

At that point CMC had been a 49er for 2 days and Jimmy G was still the QB.

This was the biggest beat down the niners have seen in over 12 months, fielding a competent (any) QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 10:57 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Exactly, 55 years and NO SB trophy. The last 2 years of getting to a playoff and a SB and LOSING both means they are showing progress to me. So far, to this point IT IS just 1 game. What point are you trying to make? You can use Bold and large font all you want but the Bengals are 0-3 in the big game.

It is 3 years of success. Outside of the chiefs, who has been the most consistent team over the last 2.5 years? The rams won a SB but didn’t make it even close last year. The eagles didn’t do anything in 2021.

Burrow was VERY limited the first 4 weeks, and even in the Seahawks game. If you can’t objectively look at that, I really question your football IQ. And anything prior to 2020 and this bengals team is irrelevant, when it comes to today.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 10:40 AM)PhilHos Wrote: You realize this isn't the first year of the team's existence, right? We are basically the same team that went to the AFCCG last season and the Super Bowl the season before that. How we looked on Sunday is how most NFL observers expected us to look this season since it's how we looked the last 2 seasons. So, no, it's not just "1 game". 

100% agree with you. This other guy is either stirring the pot, or something else that I don’t want to get in trouble for saying.
Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with my football IQ. I know what I see. I never claimed to be an expert. You are right, 3 years of success. I call that progress. The Rams HAVE the trophy. I would rather see the Bengals WITH the SB trophy and a down year after than no SB wins.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 10:57 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Exactly, 55 years and NO SB trophy. The last 2 years of getting to a playoff and a SB and LOSING both means they are showing progress to me. So far, to this point IT IS just 1 game. What point are you trying to make? You can use Bold and large font all you want but the Bengals are 0-3 in the big game.

I was countering this point:

(11-03-2023, 10:21 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote:  It's the truth, fans here and even the media gush over 1 game about how the Bengals are now a team to beat.

The reason the fans and the media are stating the Bengals are now a team to beat is NOT just because of last Sunday but because last Sunday they looked like the teams of the last 2 seasons which made the AFCCG twice and the Super Bowl once.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 11:13 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Nothing wrong with my football IQ. I know what I see. I never claimed to be an expert. You are right, 3 years of success. I call that progress. The Rams HAVE the trophy. I would rather see the Bengals WITH the SB trophy and a down year after than no SB wins.

I get you.  While some fans are content to chirp about moderate success like being contenders or almost champions, you won't be satisfied until they hoist the actual Lombardi and hang that banner. And there's nothing wrong with being that sort of fan.  Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I guess this leads to a question…..

If you were a DC how would you defend us?

IMO step 1 is to keep our YPC around 4-4.5. If you let the Bengals get 5 YPC you are done and you won’t even get to what to do about the 3 WRs because your ass is gonna be out the game anyway.

I’d probably keep 7 in the box every play and just attack the run with everything.

I’d put my safeties over top and tell my corners to be highly aggressive on routes within 5-15 yards.

I really like what we do with Pratt and Logan where we basically trust them to defend passes and diagnose runs so id probably just task my linebackers with guarding middle and filling in run holes.

The key to the D that eventually beats us is the cornerbacks. If your corners can hold like Emerson and Ward did in Cleveland our offense can be beat
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 11:20 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I get you.  While some fans are content to chirp about moderate success like being contenders or almost champions, you won't be satisfied until they hoist the actual Lombardi and hang that banner. And there's nothing wrong with being that sort of fan.  Cool

Thank you, appreciate that. That's all I meant by my posts. There is nothing I would enjoy seeing more than JB, Chase, Mixon, Boyd and Mike Brown lifting that trophy. The final accomplishment in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 11:37 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Thank you, appreciate that. That's all I meant by my posts. There is nothing I would enjoy seeing more than JB, Chase, Mixon, Boyd and Mike Brown lifting that trophy. The final accomplishment in the NFL.

Honestly, that's all that most every Bengal fan wants to see.  Some fans just express their satisfaction or displeasure in how the team is performing in different ways that's all.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 12:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, that's all that most every Bengal fan wants to see.  Some fans just express their satisfaction or displeasure in how the team is performing in different ways that's all.

No one is happy with just making it to the dance. It was one of the worst nights in my life, bested by last years AFCCG. That said, the success over the last two years AND the way they handled SF is why the bengals quickly entered back into the tier of “one of the teams to beat”. These are two different issues and not having a SB over the last two years doesn’t mean we are not one of the best teams.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2023, 11:17 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I was countering this point:

The reason the fans and the media are stating the Bengals are now a team to beat is NOT just because of last Sunday but because last Sunday they looked like the teams of the last 2 seasons which made the AFCCG twice and the Super Bowl once.

Again, spot on. Our success over the last 2 years and the way they handled SF is why we are back at the table.

We were/are in the conversation for SB contender. Just because you don’t win it all, which is hard, doesn’t mean you don’t have a great team. See 07 patriots, last years eagles.

The short sightedness of this fan base is incredible. People look at our record as 4-3, which it is but joe was worse than most teams backups. We should realistically be 5-2, as I believe a healthy Joe wins us week 2. The browns had our number, and our defense let down for half a quarter against the titans.all things considered, we are in the exact same spot as last year, except instead of beating the saints, we just took down an NFCCG team from
Last year, in their house who is still a top 2 team in th me NFC.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2023, 03:26 PM)Housh Wrote: Hearing Josh Allen’s shoulder is a little worse than expected too. Not gonna miss the game but could zap some of his throw power

This is a big deal, the Defense needs to act like he is 100% healthy though and punish him.

I thought Mahomes being hurt in the AFCC game was damn near a shoe in for us to make it back to the SB last year.

Then he looked like it was nothing, same with Kelce in that game sumbitch. Whatever

(11-02-2023, 04:06 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Burrow’s calf injury affected everything on this Offense negatively. Now that Burrow is healthy, and can take snaps under center, then you can run play action, and you can open up the complete playbook, as to where you were limited prior to him being healthy.

Burrow looks stronger, and more athletic than I’ve ever seen him. He said he had worked a lot on his mobility, and pocket movements in the offseason this past year, but wasn’t able to display until now because of the injury.

Helped you out with the space bar Zeke lol

But yeah, everything you say here. This is a different Offense now with Burrow healthy and going through what he went through.

I don't know how frustrating that was for him not to be able to move or make simple accurate throws for like 6 games in a row...

(11-02-2023, 07:09 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Exactly, people, including the media talk like the Bengals are 3 time SB champs or something. 1 solid game so far. Arizona they looked a little better. I wish everyone including the media would not say a single word about Cincy. Then, if they somehow make it to the playoffs they can maybe ask if the Bengals are good enough to advance.

No, we all know the elusive SB win hasn't come yet. Most know we are on the verge though and it doesn't matter what people say...

It matters what the team does.
Reply/Quote