Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
We’ve Set the Bar WAY Too Low!
We’ve settled. We, the fans.

Ever since 2015 the Bengals and their fans have settled for mediocrity. Why?

I’m sick of it. I want elite. I want to know the Bengals are going to win every time they suit up and if they don’t win it’s a fluke. I want every player to be considered the best at their position. Being the NFL’s punching bag is getting old and losing is a stinging betrayal of Paul Brown’s legacy.

Very few Bengal starters could start on the top teams in the NFL. I can’t imagine any competent general manager wanting to hire a Cincinnati coach to upgrade their team.

Something has to change. This is becoming a cruel joke. The Cincinnati Bengals are taking baby steps while everyone else is sprinting toward excellence. This is our thirtieth season without a playoff win. 3-19-1 isn’t fun to watch.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What kind of discussion are you trying to start with this exactly? Another misery echo chamber?

Yeah, we suck. We’ve sucked for a long time. But we have the most important piece in place now. I’m more optimistic about the future than I have been in years.

And as bad as all the losing feels, they’re at least fun to watch again. If that’s “settling” then so be it.

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 10:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We’ve settled. We, the fans.

I’m sick of it. I want elite. I want to know the Bengals are going to win every time they suit up and if they don’t win it’s a fluke. I want every player to be considered the best at their position. Being the NFL’s punching bag is getting old and losing is a stinging betrayal of Paul Brown’s legacy.

Very few Bengal starters could start on the top teams in the NFL. I can’t imagine any competent general manager wanting to hire a Cincinnati coach to upgrade their team.

Something has to change. This is becoming a cruel joke. The Cincinnati Bengals are taking baby steps while everyone else is sprinting toward excellence. This is our thirtieth season without a playoff win.

Funny. They finally have an elite qb under a rookie contract that elevates the entire offense. And all of a sudden after a historical rookie 7 Game run, you are fed up and demand excellence!

Yet you sat with your thumb up your ass for 8 years and lauded/glorified a red headed backup qb and made constant excuses to protect him

Weird
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 10:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We’ve settled. We, the fans.

Something has to change. This is becoming a cruel joke. The Cincinnati Bengals are taking baby steps while everyone else is sprinting toward excellence. This is our thirtieth season without a playoff win.

I haven’t settled. I started calling for Marv to be fired after that 2015 loss, I’ve never been onboard with ZT because he had no history of being a winner. Anytime somebody argued a starter was “good enough” because they graded out average, I’ve said average won’t win championships. Being a champion should always strive for better. Don’t stop until you are the best and then try even harder to stay on top. Nothing this team does will satisfy me until they win a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
I would like to see a sense of urgency this offseason. The lines, corners, strong safety, TE, and coordinators need upgrades. After this season the team will have 4 years to make Playoff runs before Burrow breaks the bank. Mike, Katie, and Troy have to produce another productive offseason, and Zac needs to bolster the staff of they’re going to keep him. Personally, I think Zac is in way over his head, and could be easily upgraded, but that’s not how the FO rolls. Either way, they need to put together a quality line, find some pass rushers, get more corner depth, find another safety that can cover, and give Burrow a legit TE weapon. While this will take a couple of offseasons, they have to nail the next one. Otherwise, we’re gonna have a Deshaun Watson situation on our hands.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 10:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What kind of discussion are you trying to start with this exactly? Another misery echo chamber?

Yeah, we suck. We’ve sucked for a long time. But we have the most important piece in place now. I’m more optimistic about the future than I have been in years.

And as bad as all the losing feels, they’re at least fun to watch again. If that’s “settling” then so be it.
I feel exactly like this.  It's only a matter of time with Burrow. They build a team like '15 again and they will compete for a title every year..
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 10:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What kind of discussion are you trying to start with this exactly? Another misery echo chamber?

Have to agree, FIK is a good poster but this team will come around under Burrow. We had a good FA and a very good Draft.

We fix the O-line this Offseason and add pass rushers and once again we go from crummy to damn good/elite.

Knew we would start slow this season, no surprise. We will improve I am sure of it and be a top team soon enough.

No one is settling for mediocrity around here that I know of. Get the trenches solidified, this will get us back into winning form.

I have no question with Burrow now here. I think we can win a Super Bowl with this guy if we fortify the trenches on both sides.

Move on from Lou though if those shitty schemes keep on being used. Have to learn when something is not working.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 10:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What kind of discussion are you trying to start with this exactly? Another misery echo chamber?

I will give them that much... They've made the shit show exciting this year. I actually stood up off my couch when Gio scored late last week... Of course it came crashing down quick, but still... This time last year I was really only checking in on them by this point. At least we have pieces again. If we get someone in here that can work with them, we'll be in business.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 10:54 PM)Tony Wrote: I feel exactly like this.  It's only a matter of time with Burrow. They build a team like '15 again and they will compete for a title every year..

The difference this time is we've got what appears to be a really good QB in the making... Those guys ain't cheap. Andy took that team friendly extension. That allowed us to re-up Burfict, Geno, Carlos, AJ, Pacman, etc etc etc. Joe's gonna be really expensive so we need to get the ball rolling nowish. These years that he's on that deal are our best chance to actually contend, and build a roster around him. What's scary is I don't trust the builders so to speak.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
We averaged 16 points a game in the first 7 games of last year.

This year, 23 points a game. It’s a huge improvement.

The offense is getting better, the defense is still crap. Fix the defense and Burrow will win games. Get him to the playoffs and he will go clutch mode.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 11:24 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We averaged 16 points a game in the first 7 games of last year.

The offense is getting better, the defense is still crap. Fix the defense and Burrow will win games. Get him to the playoffs and he will go clutch mode.

I agree, the offense is improving every week. Get a couple legit starting Olinemen In Here and some pass rush and we’ll have the makings of a team.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 10:54 PM)Tony Wrote: I feel exactly like this.  It's only a matter of time with Burrow. They build a team like '15 again and they will compete for a title every year..

WhoDey2 100% agree. I'd like to add though, they'd be wise to start with a championship winning coaching staff first.... Ninja
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
In the last few months it seems like they've found

Future Franchise QB
Future Franchise LT
Future WR1
Revamped the LB corp with young athletic talent

I have to believe there's a plan, because this is starting to look promising. No one rational thought this would be an overnight thing
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 10:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We’ve settled.  We, the fans.

Ever since 2015 the Bengals and their fans have settled for mediocrity.  Why?

I’m sick of it.  I want elite.  I want to know the Bengals are going to win every time they suit up and if they don’t win it’s a fluke.  I want every player to be considered the best at their position.  Being the NFL’s punching bag is getting old and losing is a stinging betrayal of Paul Brown’s legacy.

Very few Bengal starters could start on the top teams in the NFL.  I can’t imagine any competent general manager wanting to hire a Cincinnati coach to upgrade their team.  

Something has to change.  This is becoming a cruel joke.  The Cincinnati Bengals are taking baby steps while everyone else is sprinting toward excellence.  This is our thirtieth season without a playoff win.  3-19-1 isn’t fun to watch.

I don't know what TF you're talking about. I haven't settled for anything. I want to watch JB and the rest hold up the Lombardi, on stage, while Roger Goodell stands there with his arm around Mike Brown's shoulder, congratulating him on his first Super Bowl victory.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 11:18 PM)jason Wrote: I will give them that much... They've made the shit show exciting this year. I actually stood up off my couch when Gio scored late last week... Of course it came crashing down quick, but still... This time last year I was really only checking in on them by this point. At least we have pieces again. If we get someone in here that can work with them, we'll be in business.

Yep. After Gio scored i did my "usual thing" and my wife said, "wow. i haven't seen that in a while". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Child please. 

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 10:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We’ve settled.  We, the fans.

Ever since 2015 the Bengals and their fans have settled for mediocrity.  Why?

I’m sick of it.  I want elite.  I want to know the Bengals are going to win every time they suit up and if they don’t win it’s a fluke.  I want every player to be considered the best at their position.  Being the NFL’s punching bag is getting old and losing is a stinging betrayal of Paul Brown’s legacy.

Very few Bengal starters could start on the top teams in the NFL.  I can’t imagine any competent general manager wanting to hire a Cincinnati coach to upgrade their team.  

Something has to change.  This is becoming a cruel joke.  The Cincinnati Bengals are taking baby steps while everyone else is sprinting toward excellence.  This is our thirtieth season without a playoff win.  3-19-1 isn’t fun to watch.

I don't think the fans are "settling for mediocrity" vs facing reality.
This team took a nosedive after Marvin left.
While people (including myself) are not happy with the hiring of Taylor at this point, it's important to remember that the Bengals FO hadn't interviewed someone for a HC position in 16 years. Maybe they just aren't good at interviewing/hiring.

The Bengals also invested a lot of money on veterans who have not produced on the field, some due to injury.
- Waynes, Reader, Uzomah, XSF are all on IR, and they are taking up $28.25 mill of the cap.
- Atkins has not been on the stat sheet yet through 7 games, and he's taking up $14.2 mill of the cap.
- AJ Green wasn't producing for the first 5 games of the season, and he's taking up $18.1 mill of the cap.
- Dunlap wasn't producing much, and he was taking up $10+ mill prior to being traded.
- Shawn Williams is taking up $4.9 mill in cap and is hardly being used on defense.

Between all of them, over $75 mill of the cap going towards those players.

They also have $8.5 mill tied into John Ross and Billy Price, two 1st round picks who should be quality starters at this point in their tenure but instead we don't even want to start because of how bad they've been.

What point am I getting at? The Bengals invested a lot in certain players and not getting their return on investment for different reasons. Most of those players were quality players in the past.
If all those guys were healthy and playing to expectations, I think the Bengals would probably have a winning record right now.

The injuries have been a huge hit to the team, but we're seeing that depth isn't good enough.
They also put a lot of faith in the growth of the OL and LB, of which is coming along (a lot) slower than we would like.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 11:24 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We averaged 16 points a game in the first 7 games of last year.

Huge improvement, but still ranked 23rd, which is among the 10 worst in football.

The defense is 21st for reference.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Lou is going to have to really bounce back in the last half of the season for him to have my approval. I'm not impressed with the defense. The scheme/coaching is failing miserably.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 01:01 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. After Gio scored i did my "usual thing" and my wife said, "wow. i haven't seen that in a while". 

I did mine too. Cursed that we left too much time on the clock.

We can point to statistical differences all day long. The record is what it is, this team still finds ways to lose no matter what part of the team is playing well. Its a cultural problem that starts way over Zacs head.
Reply/Quote