Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
We’ve got 3 WRs that are probably worth 20+ million a year and we are likely losing 2
Reminds me of the Steelers in 2005. They had three WRs due to receive big raises, Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Antwaan Randle El.

They kept Hines Ward and let the other two walk.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
Boyd isn't worth $20 mil.

Higgins is putting up great numbers, but he's still a #2. The whole defense is rotated to Chase the entire game. Tee (and to a lesser extent Boyd) are good enough to punish that. How Tee would do when the D focuses on him is unknown.

But I think we can keep all three if we are wise. All three are signed thru NEXT year. So we have almost 2 more years of them together.

By the time 2024 hits, Mixon is a club option and Bates will likely be gone. That is more than Tee's $20 mil right there. Plus the cap will go up.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 11:32 PM)Housh Wrote: I’d rather die and/or let Tee walk than trade him. If we trade anyone it needs to be Boyd

[Image: 6vcehp.jpg]

They're not going to give Higgins 5yr/$130m and then give Chase 5yr/$175m the year after. And most certainly not when Burrow is about to get 5yr/$250m-10yr/$500m this offseason.

They're not going to keep all 3 and of the 3, Higgins is the easiest to replace. Much easier to replace too when you draft a 1st round WR with one of the picks and he will get a roughly 4yr/$15m contract.

Letting him walk is outright foolish. The trade market has shown that his value is a 1st that year and a 3rd the year after. Letting him walk and getting nothing in return is a terrible plan.

Also Boyd's value isn't really up there. Not many people trading big assets for an age 29 non-#1 WR that hasn't had a 1k season since 2019. Even if you did, you don't save anywhere near enough to keep all 3 of Burrow, Chase, and Higgins.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
If the team wants to be relevant, they'll find a way to keep Higgins, Chase and Burrow long term.

If they don't they'll fade into obscurity. The two WRs just play off of each other perfectly. And, despite what teams like Tennessee seem to think, a star WR is not easy to replace, even if you get a first round pick for them.

Boyd, we'll have to see. He'll be going into his age 30 season as a free agent, having made about 10M AAV for the last 4 years. He probably only has one major contract left in his career.

If we do lock up Chase, Higgins and Burrow, does Boyd take a hometown discount to chase Superbowl success (whether that be the first, second, or third ring we'll find out!)? Or does he try to maximize his money in his last big chance of getting a contract? Slot only receivers are a bit easier to find than dominant outside WRs like Higgins and Chase, so I could foresee a scenario where the Bengals replace him with a young WR from the draft and not lose a step. With that said, I think it's possible that Boyd sticks around for a relative discount, especially since he won't be a long term free agent signing for another team due to his age and skill set, so it's not like he's going to get offers to be the feature WR in any offense. He will play a supplemental role in whatever offense he is a part of, so why not stay with the team that drafted and developed him, if the money is close?
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 11:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That was my original thought. Why are we talking about this week 4?

We have Tee and Boyd at least 1 more year, and Chase several more. Boyd is also going to be 30 when his deal is up, so I’m not even particularly worried about re-signing him at that point.

Tee will hold out next year without a new contract. Look at this year with brown, mcclaurin, deebo and I am missing one other.

He will not go into the last season of his rookie deal without a new one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 01:22 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: 6vcehp.jpg]

They're not going to give Higgins 5yr/$130m and then give Chase 5yr/$175m the year after. And most certainly not when Burrow is about to get 5yr/$250m-10yr/$500m this offseason.

They're not going to keep all 3 and of the 3, Higgins is the easiest to replace. Much easier to replace too when you draft a 1st round WR with one of the picks and he will get a roughly 4yr/$15m contract.

Letting him walk is outright foolish. The trade market has shown that his value is a 1st that year and a 3rd the year after. Letting him walk and getting nothing in return is a terrible plan.

Also Boyd's value isn't really up there. Not many people trading big assets for an age 29 non-#1 WR that hasn't had a 1k season since 2019. Even if you did, you don't save anywhere near enough to keep all 3 of Burrow, Chase, and Higgins.

Right on. The most likely scenario next year is chase/boyd/FA/rookie with Higgins traded. Very similar to AJ brown.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 11:55 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The defense carried us to the SB and is carrying us again this year. That shouldn't be the case but it is. A player like Burrow - a projected FIFTY million dollar QB shouldn't need two #'1's and a top flight #2. That is Andy Dalton ball.

A FIFTY million dollar QB should be able to make stars out of just about anyone.

With the right coaching of coarse.

The NFL and QB contracts is getting out of control. 

Russell Wilson is a ~50MM AAV QB and he is playing like shit so far. 

Kyler Murray is a 46MM AAV QB and he plays football like a high school QB, running around until someone slips out of coverage. 

Derek Carr is a 40MM AAV QB. I don't think I even need to elaborate on that one.

Dak Prescott, the QB who is being beat in productivity by a journeyman QB, is also a 40MM AAV QB. His fans' excuse? "Well, he only has Lamb left."

Even Kirk Cousins is a 35MM AAV. 

These prices are only going to go up. 50MM AAV is quickly going to be become the new baseline for a QB 2nd contract, especially with the salary cap raising so much.

Quite frankly, we'd be lucky to lock Burrow in at just 50MM AAV. The dude is a consensus top 10 (and often top 5) QB.

You can't expect a QB to succeed if you put nothing around him other than a single target who will get double and triple covered if there are no other threats on the field.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 12:48 AM)Housh Wrote: You know what nvm

lol I REALLY am not trying to bag on you, Housh, but it's CONSTANT with you LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, they likely won't be paying Jonah top tier money and if they can replace him in rd1, plus if they move on from Mixon they could keep tee and chase. If they have a Lt playing on a rookie deal. Bates gone too
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Salary cap will keep going up. They will keep Tee and Chase IMO. They wii have to let Boyd go and I’m going to hate to see him go. Absolutely nothing not to like about him. I’ll never forget his TD against the Rats.

I am starting to think this could be a real option.  I hate to say it, but there is an out clause (I believe) in Mixon's contract after this year.  There is also the franchise tag for one year, but I hope they can keep Tee and Jamarr.  I think if you go with young draft picks to fill the holes at slot WR and TEs they could make it happen.  
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 10:15 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Tee will hold out next year without a new contract. Look at this year with brown, mcclaurin, deebo and I am missing one other.

He will not go into the last season of his rookie deal without a new one.

I doubt it. Players don’t really hold out anymore with the way the CBA is structured now.

Reply/Quote
Boyd is the #1 slot receiver in the league. The chemistry that Chase, Higgins and Boyd have with each other, let alone with Burrow, cannot be replicated. I think we keep all three. That means getting rid of Bates, Mixon and Williams. All can be replaced fairly easily, especially considering we already have Bates' replacement on the roster.
Reply/Quote
One thing is for sure. Our team will never be as good as it is right now. Some really good players will simply have to go. I don’t know who, but we all know Burrow and Chase are locks. But out of Higgins, Wilson, Bates, Bell, Reader, Boyd, Williams, Chido, Hendrickson…this team won’t be as good 2-3 years from now. Nature of the league, but we NEED to win a SB this year or next. After that, Burrow needs to be a legit top 3 QB in order for us to ever win a chip. Being 5th or 10th best won’t cut it once he’s getting paid 50-60M/yr.

For me, without looking at years left on the contracts, after Burrow and Chase, I think Hendrickson is the next most important. Followed very closely by Higgins. Then Wilson, reader, chido.
Reply/Quote
Tee is the priority to me beyond Chase. Tee is only 25. Boyd will be over 30.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 12:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I doubt it. Players don’t really hold out anymore with the way the CBA is structured now.

Sorry. But did you live under a rock this summer?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/18/deebo-samuel-a-j-brown-terry-mclaurin-are-not-expected-to-do-on-field-work-this-offseason/amp/

Deebo Samuel wants an extension from the 49ers, A.J. Brown is in the market for a deal with the Titans, and Terry McLaurin would like a new contract in Washington. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that none of the players is expected to do any on-field work this offseason as long as they are still waiting for new pacts.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 02:22 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Sorry. But did you live under a rock this summer?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/18/deebo-samuel-a-j-brown-terry-mclaurin-are-not-expected-to-do-on-field-work-this-offseason/amp/

Deebo Samuel wants an extension from the 49ers, A.J. Brown is in the market for a deal with the Titans, and Terry McLaurin would like a new contract in Washington. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that none of the players is expected to do any on-field work this offseason as long as they are still waiting for new pacts.

Talk to me when they actually holdout during the season.

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 10:21 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The NFL and QB contracts is getting out of control. 

Russell Wilson is a ~50MM AAV QB and he is playing like shit so far. 

Kyler Murray is a 46MM AAV QB and he plays football like a high school QB, running around until someone slips out of coverage. 

Derek Carr is a 40MM AAV QB. I don't think I even need to elaborate on that one.

Dak Prescott, the QB who is being beat in productivity by a journeyman QB, is also a 40MM AAV QB. His fans' excuse? "Well, he only has Lamb left."

Even Kirk Cousins is a 35MM AAV. 

These prices are only going to go up. 50MM AAV is quickly going to be become the new baseline for a QB 2nd contract, especially with the salary cap raising so much.

Quite frankly, we'd be lucky to lock Burrow in at just 50MM AAV. The dude is a consensus top 10 (and often top 5) QB.

You can't expect a QB to succeed if you put nothing around him other than a single target who will get double and triple covered if there are no other threats on the field.

I’m getting off target here but I had this exact conversation with a friend of mine who played in the NFL in the 90s. He became a doctor so he’s doing more than well for himself. But what NBA and NFL players made in the 90s is a joke compared to today.

Freaking CJ McCollum (NBA, plays for the pelicans) just signed a 2 year contract for $64 million. Just to give you an idea, Charles BARKLEY “only” made $37 million his entire career. CJ isn’t a bad player but he ain’t Charles Barkley, not by a long shot.

How much higher can this conceivably go? And we can’t just chalk it up to inflation, this has been on an astronomical climb for the last 20 years. I remember how in shock I was when I found out Allen Iverson made $20M one year, and he was one of the best players in the league. 

Where the hell is this money coming from? 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 02:59 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: I’m getting off target here but I had this exact conversation with a friend of mine who played in the NFL in the 90s. He became a doctor so he’s doing more than well for himself. But what NBA and NFL players made in the 90s is a joke compared to today.

Freaking CJ McCollum (NBA, plays for the pelicans) just signed a 2 year contract for $64 million. Just to give you an idea, Charles BARKLEY “only” made $37 million his entire career. CJ isn’t a bad player but he ain’t Charles Barkley, not by a long shot.

How much higher can this conceivably go? And we can’t just chalk it up to inflation, this has been on an astronomical climb for the last 20 years. I remember how in shock I was when I found out Allen Iverson made $20M one year, and he was one of the best players in the league. 

Where the hell is this money coming from? 

TV Deals
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 04:55 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: TV Deals

Jeff Bezos and Amazon is trying to dip it’s hands in the NFL too so that’s even more money they are about to get. Keep in mind that the NFL is also at its most popular due to the amazing parity the league has right now. There are alot of teams that could realistically win a title every year
-Housh
Reply/Quote
No way they’re able to keep both Higgins and Chase. And as much as I like Higgins, the Bengals will be better off using his cash on someone else who’s not a WR.
Reply/Quote