Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We DRAFTED a kicker that only made 77% of his collegiate field goals?!
Seriously...?

Keep in mind the college goal posts are ~6-8' WIDER than the NFL (making college kicking easier), the kicks are lower-pressure (and at Memphis he never played in any MAJOR games), and the block-rushing athletes are typically slower with less vertical ability.

The most disappointing pick thus far in the draft. Sad
Reply/Quote
dude had 1 bad year and the other 3 were very solid.....and he can hit from 50 to 55 easily....give it a rest.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 03:59 PM)BoBengal Wrote: Seriously...?

Keep in mind the college goal posts are ~6-8' WIDER than the NFL (making college kicking easier), the kicks are lower-pressure (and at Memphis he never played in any MAJOR games), and the block-rushing athletes are typically slower with less vertical ability.

The most disappointing pick thus far in the draft.   Sad

He had a bad sophomore year besides that he was good. On the other hand the Bucs kicker was money in college and was horrible in the pros, nugent was similar at OSU. NFL Kicking is as much mental as physical.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:04 PM)pulses Wrote: dude had 1 bad year and the other 3 were very solid.....and he can hit from 50 to 55 easily....give it a rest.

Have you watched the guy at all?  You commented that on the other thread posted about this being a terrible selection for us.  

He does NOT have a strong leg.  His kickoffs lack distance and hangtime.  

Elliot only made 81% of his field goals inside 39 yards last season on the wide college pipes.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:23 PM)BoBengal Wrote: Have you watched the guy at all?  You commented that on the other thread posted about this being a terrible selection for us.  

He does NOT have a strong leg.  His kickoffs lack distance and hangtime.  

Elliot only made 81% of his field goals inside 39 yards last season on the wide college pipes.

I didnt comment on another thread saying this was a bad pick for us. you better go read again. 
Reply/Quote
Gonzales was the top rated kicking prospect since Janikowski...why not take him?

This guy would have likely been available in the 7th Round.
Reply/Quote
Watch the video of Elliott's pro day workout. Nuff said.
Reply/Quote
Tampa took the top rated kicker last year that was very accurate. They damn near cut him. Nothing wrong with taking a potential Special Teams superstar with your free pick in the 5th. We could have had to 90th best CB in the draft I suppose.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Gonzales was the top rated kicking prospect since Janikowski...why not take him?

This guy would have likely been available in the 7th Round.

Higher rated than the kid out of FSU last year?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Higher rated than the kid out of FSU last year?

Yeah.

I will say that the mental makeup of a kid is important and the person that brought up the OCD made a great point. Kicking is probably 90% mental in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
I'm fairly certain his accuracy will improve seeing as he is now a professional athlete, with professional coaching, with a full focus on his craft. The thing about college athletes is they not only play sports..but they go to school, some work small jobs to help make ends meet, they have family and friends and various other commitments that prevent them from fully focusing on their craft. Now that he's a PRO his focus will be soley on kicking.

The only concern I have of the pick is his size...5'9" 170...if he's asked to make a tackle on ST I fear the result will end much like a fully loaded semi-trailer hitting a deer at 65+ MPH Hilarious
Reply/Quote
His mentor and friend is Stephen Gostkowski. Gostkowski is a great kicker who had a lot of good things to say about him in this article. He has trained with Gostkowski.

This article might cheer you up. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-jake-elliott-kicker-nfl-draft-spt-0210-20170209-story.html
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 06:14 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I'm fairly certain his accuracy will improve seeing as he is now a professional athlete, with professional coaching, with a full focus on his craft.  The thing about college athletes is they not only play sports..but they go to school, some work small jobs to help make ends meet,  they have family and friends and various other commitments that prevent them from fully focusing on their craft. Now that he's a PRO his focus will be soley on kicking.

The only concern I have of the pick is his size...5'9" 170...if he's asked to make a tackle on ST I fear the result will end much like a fully loaded semi-trailer hitting a deer at 65+ MPH  Hilarious

If the info I'm looking at is right, Jim Breech was 5'6.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 06:25 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: If the info I'm looking at is right, Jim Breech was 5'6.

Not saying a player can't be successful at that size, but Breech played in the 80s.

The Vikings just took a 257lb man who runs 4.57
The Browns just took a 272lb man who runs 4.64
The Jaguars took a 240lb man who runs 4.51

The size/speed/strength of NFL players today are incomparable to 30-40 years ago.

...also Jim Breech was also 6/26 (23%) at 50+ yd FGs and 49/98 (50%) at 40-49 yd FGs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Lol common guys. He's friends with this guy, who else should we take the 90th CB, TB's kicker was ranked high and he sucked. Pretty lame excuses. Is the guy money? No Is we worth a 5th round pick? Probably not Could we have waited? Yes of course. We need a kicker I get it but there was some pretty good players on the board at positions that could have helped us and we passed for a questionable Kicker. I dont blame anyone for being mad about this pick. To be honest I think we were wreck less with today's picks. After Lawson we left a lot of talent on the board for some head scratchers.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 06:40 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Lol common guys. He's friends with this guy, who else should we take the 90th CB, TB's kicker was ranked high and he sucked. Pretty lame excuses. Is the guy money? No  Is we worth a 5th round pick? Probably not Could we have waited? Yes of course. We need a kicker I get it but there was some pretty good players on the board at positions that could have helped us and we passed for a questionable Kicker. I dont blame anyone for being mad about this pick. To be honest I think we were wreck less with today's picks. After Lawson we left a lot of talent on the board for some head scratchers.

He's not just friends with Gostkowski.  He beat Gostkowski's all time scoring record at the University of Memphis.  He's going to be fine.  Here' some more stats:  

School’s record-holder for consecutive PAT made with 202 straight ... Also holds school’s all-time scoring record with 445 points (202 PAT/81 FG) … Moved past Stephen Gostkowski (369 points) and DeAngelo Williams (362) to take the program’s all-time scoring mark ... First on career chart for most points by kicking ... Became only second player in program history to lead team in scoring all four seasons, joining former kicker John Butler (1986-89) in that club ... Holds Memphis kicking all-time kicking records for points kicking (445 points), PAT made (202), PAT attempts (202), FG made (81) and FG attempts (104) ... First in school history in FG percentage (77.9; 81-of-104) ... Holds school record for longest FG with his 56-yarder at USF in 2013 ... Has kicked four of the five longest FG in program history, including the top four (56, 54, 53, 53) ... Of his 330 kickoffs, 210 were touchbacks (63.6 percent) ... Career kickoff yardage average is 63.7 yards.

Reply/Quote
I guess we will be able judge this pick with Gonzalez going to Cleveland
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 06:57 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I guess we will be able judge this pick with Gonzalez going to Cleveland

Now that will be interesting.
Reply/Quote
The kicker from Ariz State was still on the board when this pick was made check out his stats.
Reply/Quote
I watched Simmons' press conference. He said he worked out Gonzalez, Elliott, and somebody from Georgia Tech. He said the difference was the kickoffs, and he chose Elliott because he was better at kickoffs. He also said Gonzalez was kicking in a different climate in Arizona than he would have here. I trust his judgment. Plus he said it's not a done deal. Elliott will compete with Bullock for the position.
Reply/Quote