Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Need a Nine Point Lead!
Dusty Baker, the former manager of the Cincinnati Reds, had a favorite saying in the dugout:  "Five run lead!  We need a five run lead!"

What Dusty meant, of course, was for the Reds to stay at least five runs ahead of their opponent so should the opponent score with a grand slam home run, the Reds would still be in the lead. 

Over lunch I got to thinking about it and there's an analogy Zac Taylor and the Bengals should use: "We need a nine point lead!"  Why nine points?  If the Bengals are ahead by at least nine points then even with the largest score an opponent can make, a touchdown with a two point conversion, the Bengals would still lead the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Has ZT ever HAD a 9-point lead in any games he's coached here yet?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 04:06 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Has ZT ever HAD a 9-point lead in any games he's coached here yet?

Really?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201912010cin.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201912290cin.htm

And those are just the wins.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
But... what if they get a safety and then take the ensuing kickoff to the house?  Ninja

- - - - -

Honestly I am not so sure I would want to lift quotes from Dusty considering he's had Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Joey Votto among many other players and yet has exactly 1 pennant and 0 rings in 23 years.

Headed one of the worst playoff showings ever in 2010 (swept with a no hit and a shutout) and then oversaw the worst playoff collapse in MLB history with the Reds. (2-0 on the road, and then comes home and goes 0-3)

Couldn't win a single playoff series with the Nationals, they got rid of him and 2 years later won a World Series.

Now he's taken the Astros and led them to a losing record after the team averaged ~104 wins/yr the last three years (granted while cheating).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 04:08 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Really?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201912010cin.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201912290cin.htm

And those are just the wins.
Lol. I was being facetious. But only sort of. I don't remember many leads from last year, but then again, I was damn near done with them from pure apathy by midseason, and only caught bits and pieces of most games.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 04:33 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Lol. I was being facetious. But only sort of. I don't remember many leads from last year, but then again, I was damn near done with them from pure apathy by midseason, and only caught bits and pieces of most games.

I have international NFL gamepass, so I can see all games live, and I couldn't finish watching all the games. First time in 20 years for me. I gave up on them, there was nothing fun to watch. 7 or 8 three and outs in a row? Ball game.
Reply/Quote
I agree. We should shoot for a 15 point lead since we've always sat on a lead and quit trying when we are ahead.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 06:21 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I agree. We should shoot for a 15 point lead since we've always sat on a lead and quit trying when we are ahead.

That's a bit much. If we get a 12 pt lead, then a TD, 2 pt converstion and FG still keep us up by 1. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 04:33 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote:  I don't remember many leads from last year, 

Hell, I don't remember many games last year. Cheers

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 04:06 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Has ZT ever HAD a 9-point lead in any games he's coached here yet?

They average like 17 points since he's been here, so I'ma say no.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 06:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Hell, I don't remember many games last year. Cheers

Shock is the body's way of shielding the self conscious from trauma... It's ok.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 04:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: But... what if they get a safety and then take the ensuing kickoff to the house?  Ninja

- - - - -

Honestly I am not so sure I would want to lift quotes from Dusty considering he's had Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Joey Votto among many other players and yet has exactly 1 pennant and 0 rings in 23 years.

Headed one of the worst playoff showings ever in 2010 (swept with a no hit and a shutout) and then oversaw the worst playoff collapse in MLB history with the Reds. (2-0 on the road, and then comes home and goes 0-3)

Couldn't win a single playoff series with the Nationals, they got rid of him and 2 years later won a World Series.

Now he's taken the Astros and led them to a losing record after the team averaged ~104 wins/yr the last three years (granted while cheating).

You forgot putting Latos on the mound over Cueto in the play in in 2013... Also; the Astros can't cheat anymore.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote