Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Will Live And Die By This Offensive Line
We have all the skill in the world right now. John Ross is an amazing compliment and allows us to have another deep threat when Green is double covered.

Not only that, but if the safeties cover both Ross and Green, that leaves the seam route wide open for the likes of Boyd and Eifert.

Mixon is a very talented back who not only can make people miss but an asset to the passing game.

This offense can go spread and compete with anyone. The only question mark is can the offensive line hold up and block well. There's talent all around to succeed and win on offense. There's depth. But offensive line is the issue.

Ogbuehi had a miserable beginning to his career. Jake Fisher had some struggles as well. Both are our starters now. However, Ogbuehi will be starting at LT rather than RT. We lost Zeitler and now have Andre Smith back, a guy coming back from a season ending injury. He has missed 21 games in 3 years. Bodine has always been a hot topic of discussion. Boling has been our most solid and consistent player on the line.

We also lack depth in quite a few areas. We have one backup offensive tackle. ONE. That's Eric Winston.
We have backup guards. That we have. We have now another backup center. Which we need due to the Bengals mainly using TJ Johnson as an offensive guard.

Our offense will hold up if the offensive line does. There's pieces to win now. The offensive line HAS to do it's job. We will live and die by it.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Yep. While Zeitler was better overall than Smith...I'm hoping that Smith improves the run game as Guard. Smith is a big road grader.

When he got drafted, Smith projected out to be a potential All-Pro Guard.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 06:13 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: We have all the skill in the world right now. John Ross is an amazing compliment and allows us to have another deep threat when Green is double covered.

Not only that, but if the safeties cover both Ross and Green, that leaves the seam route wide open for the likes of Boyd and Eifert.

Mixon is a very talented back who not only can make people miss but an asset to the passing game.

This offense can go spread and compete with anyone. The only question mark is can the offensive line hold up and block well. There's talent all around to succeed and win on offense. There's depth. But offensive line is the issue.

Ogbuehi had a miserable beginning to his career. Jake Fisher had some struggles as well. Both are our starters now. However, Ogbuehi will be starting at LT rather than RT. We lost Zeitler and now have Andre Smith back, a guy coming back from a season ending injury. He has missed 21 games in 3 years. Bodine has always been a hot topic of discussion. Boling has been our most solid and consistent player on the line.

We also lack depth in quite a few areas. We have one backup offensive tackle. ONE. That's Eric Winston.
We have backup guards. That we have. We have now another backup center. Which we need due to the Bengals mainly using TJ Johnson as an offensive guard.

Our offense will hold up if the offensive line does. There's pieces to win now. The offensive line HAS to do it's job. We will live and die by it.
Spoken on behalf of Andy Dalton.
Reply/Quote
I think we completely blew it today. After the first 3 rounds it was obvious we wanted to be faster and more explosive on offense. I know we needed D line help too but we didn't follow through with the O line. How the hell do you have 9 picks, let me repeat 9 picks on day 3 and come away with 1 O lineman. Our weakness is C and OT the 3rd 4th 5th etc best Centers are on the board and we pick a guy who was injured of course and only played C a handful of games. I know this draft class was bad with O lineman but with a record low selected in the first 3 rounds we had our chance at some guys that could at least compete. With the exception of Carl Lawson, today was a total waste. I know I said this before. If you asked any fan what our biggest need was halfway threw the season everyone would have said Oline. That was before losing Whit and Zeitler. So what has changed? We did NOTHING to address this in this draft. 12 damn picks. PATHETIC.
Reply/Quote
Yeah it is a bit disappointing we havent addressed O-Line, but it does seem this wasn't the draft for it.

Also to note on this, we did double down at OT only a couple of drafts ago. As somebody said the other day on here, I think the coaches are giving that draft a chance and have faith in it.

I'm ok with up picking up strong players in positions that aren't of biggest need, rather than reaching at OT. I do think it will again be a problem this season though.
Reply/Quote
OP is right. This team's success will depend on that line performing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Makes you wonder what the hell were Marvin, Duke, and Brown thinking this offseason. Anybody that paid attention knows that their is a shortage of offensive lineman in the college ranks and that's why good Offensive lineman are worth the money they get.  Instead they invest their money in an aging  little person corner with an attitude problem and a decent but average Corner when the draft is filled with defensive Back talent.  
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
All we can hope for is that the team picks up some post draft NFL cut casualties.

I'm all for the young guys getting it done but it sure would be nice to bring in some vet competition.

This could be the season that Alexander for once is on the hot seat.

Hilarious I could barely say that with a straight face.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The draft just didn’t fall for Oline.

When we drafted in the 1st RD the next Olineman didn’t come off the boards until 11 picks later

When we moved back the 2nd RD the next Olinman didn’t come off the boards until 10 picks later. If we had stayed put it would have been 17 picks later

When we drafted in the 3rd it was 12 picks later

When we snagged Lawson in the 4th it only took 7 more picks before an Olineman was taken, but you cannot pass on Lawson. We took Glascow with our comp 4th it was 3 picks into the next Rd before another olineman went.

In the 5th and beyond you’re just throwing darts. The Bengals let the draft come to them.

WTS, I'd like to see us pick up a little help on the exterior
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
1000% agree Wolf,

This team will be whatever it's O-line ends up being. They stink - we're staring 4,5, 6 wins right in the face. If they're decent we could go 8-8. If they're really good ??

I don't have a lot of faith to be honest.
Reply/Quote
We actually have two back up tackles as Andre can always kick outside if need be. So Winston and Smith back up tackles then a combination of Westerman, Redmond, Johnson could fill the guard spot he vacates.
Reply/Quote
If not repaired, the offensive line will make Joe Mixon look like a total bust. I do not want that to happen.
Reply/Quote
Clint Boling is still our best Olineman.... let that sink in.
Reply/Quote
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/2017-nfl-draft-best-remaining-sec-players-undrafted-free-agents

dan skipper OT is still available! lets get him
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
You never know too guys maybe this combo of guys works for some reason and were halfway decent in the trenches.

Maybe Zeitler played a certain way that made it hard for others. Maybe the new group will figure it out better. Sometimes it aint about personal talent or coaches.....its about how the 5 guys come together to make it happen.

Yeah I know the line is gonna suck but at least let me hope
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 06:58 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I think we completely blew it today. After the first 3 rounds it was obvious we wanted to be faster and more explosive on offense. I know we needed D line help too but we didn't follow through with the O line. How the hell do you have 9 picks, let me repeat 9 picks on day 3 and come away with 1 O lineman. Our weakness is C and OT the 3rd 4th 5th etc best Centers are on the board and we pick a guy who was injured of course and only played C a handful of games. I know this draft class was bad with O lineman but with a record low selected in the first 3 rounds we had our chance at some guys that could at least compete. With the exception of Carl Lawson, today was a total waste. I know I said this before. If you asked any fan what our biggest need was halfway threw the season everyone would have said Oline. That was before losing Whit and Zeitler. So what has changed? We did NOTHING to address this in this draft. 12 damn picks. PATHETIC.

There was no way they were drafting OT very high at all.. they have two high draft picks that are going to totally start now, plus two veterans in Winston and Smith if needed to slide over and you are missing the mark on Dielman.. he can play across the board.. so nice added depth as a rookie.

i saw DE as weaker than any when you look age and recent draft picks.. i loved what we did at DE and it was obvious that we needed to improve speed.. which we totally did with our picks especially on offense.. that speed will actually help the offensive line plus if Mixon is as good as he looks, his running will take pressure off the line... Bell did the same in Pittsburgh. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 10:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If not repaired, the offensive line will make Joe Mixon look like a total bust.  I do not want that to happen.

here is repaired... two young tackles being put in their right positions.. getting all the reps.. finishing a full preseason ... it seems you are just assuming they can not improve.. hell they have barely played and have limited reps ... plus a veteran in Smith stays healthy and maybe you forgot that we draft a guard last year in Westerman and Johnson has been improving.  

Guess their has to be improve by these players but you don;t know if any drafted player would have been any better.. you can only assume just like i am
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:00 PM)J24 Wrote: Makes you wonder what the hell were Marvin, Duke, and Brown thinking this offseason. Anybody that paid attention knows that their is a shortage of offensive lineman in the college ranks and that's why good Offensive lineman are worth the money they get.  Instead they invest their money in an aging  little person corner with an attitude problem and a decent but average Corner when the draft is filled with defensive Back talent.  

They were thinking this is the inveitable outcome of living in the salary cap day and age. You can't have great players at every position anymore.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Now that the draft is over and we know what we got; would looking at Nick Mangold at center be a good idea? Would he be better than what we have at center? What would he cost? Does he have anything left in the tank? Am I just a babbling idiot? Please discuss.
Reply/Quote
Nick Mangold even on the tail end of his career is vastly superior to the crud that is Bodine.
Reply/Quote