Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are being coached by a millennial
(10-21-2019, 11:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: No but "feeling good about ourselves" and "showing progress" or whatever may have not been the best choice of words ?

"We're not at all happy with where we are and we have a lot of work to do" ?

ZT can spend the press conference yodeling for all it matters. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT can spend the press conference yodeling for all it matters. 

I do like when he has a confused look on his face. IF I could buy a Halloween mask of that, I'd wear it.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT and Mike Brown both know what this organization does isn't conducive to winning football games.

Mike Brown just doesn't f'n care. ZT has no power to change it, but I'm not certain he knows what is the right thing to do or not.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:47 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Mike Brown just doesn't f'n care. ZT has no power to change it, but I'm not certain he knows what is the right thing to do or not.

It's very possible that the right thing to do is accept the most prestigious and lucrative job you've ever been offered and diplomatically deflect blame from your boss who is paying you millions.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: “Feeling better about ourselves” is not progress. 0-7 is not progress. Ripping out the Steelers’ hearts, squashing them on the 50 yard line, and defeating them is progress.

Dude, your avatar changes from week to week kill me lol

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 12:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It's very possible that the right thing to do is accept the most prestigious and lucrative job you've ever been offered and diplomatically deflect blame from your boss who is paying you millions.

And that's led us to how many wins?

He's headed down a path to becoming the worst Bengals' coach in history.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 01:15 AM)BengalChris Wrote: And that's led us to how many wins?

He's headed down a path to becoming the worst Bengals' coach in history.

Right because being the Bengals coach requires a different skill set than being the coach of most if not all other teams. This job is all about following a company culture of apathy and proven failure with periodic mediocrity.

He is like Dave Shula a yes man who is underqualified to win football games because putting up with Mike Brown's draconian laziness comes first.  He's not good, but he's the type of guy the Browns want. Someone who will make excuses and not rock the boat or complain.

If Mike brown wants his employees to have no say or no power he should run a burger joint, not an NFL team that is required to employ many highly skilled people who have jobs that require specific skills and knowledge and independent thoughts and actions and decisions.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:39 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If I were Taylor I would see the Bengals as a 5-2 team with bad luck.  Just saying.

Minimum of 3-4....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Was it not Bob Dylan who said "you don't need a weather man to know which way  the wind blows?"  I don't even bother listening to press conferences and most player interviews because it's always the same ol' song n dance.

Honestly, what do we want him to say?  What do we want him to do?  Players and coaches who stay here and shrug and say "We just gotta do better and get em next time" get booed and players who say "This place sucks and I want out" get booed, too.  

No doubt about that.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's like he's delusional. 'We shouldn't be 0-7.'

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You are what your record says you are.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: No but "feeling good about ourselves" and "showing progress" or whatever may have not been the best choice of words ?

"We're not at all happy with where we are and we have a lot of work to do" ?

He was pretty critical of everyone Sunday.

Reply/Quote
Pretty sure I saw Taylor snapping selfies on the sidelines, and posting to his Insta....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 11:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Honestly, what do we want him to say?  What do we want him to do?  Players and coaches who stay here and shrug and say "We just gotta do better and get em next time" get booed and players who say "This place sucks and I want out" get booed, too.  

This.

What Zach is saying is exactly what EVERY OTHER NFL COACH would say.  No coach in the league is going to say "We suck.  No need to try harder or anything like that."

If you don't like coach speak then don't listen to press conferences, but don't rip Taylor for doing what every other coach would do.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 09:16 AM)Nately120 Wrote:  He's not good, but he's the type of guy the Browns want. Someone who will make excuses and not rock the boat or complain.

Again, every coach in the NFL has disputes with the GM/front office.  Remember the Parcell's line about how a coach should be "allowed to buy the groceries if you are going to cook the meal"?

So EVERY coach has to go along with the front office decisions.  I do not hear any current coaches throwing their GM's under the bus, and there are a lot of caches out there with bad teams right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:12 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I guess it depends on how you define progress. You'd have to have a pretty perverted definition of it to pretend there's been any progress at all after you go from 6-10 to 0-7 in less than a year.

He inherited a team that had gone 1-7 after the bye last year. They've essentially maintained that form.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

What Zach is saying is exactly what EVERY OTHER NFL COACH would say.  No coach in the league is going to say "We suck.  No need to try harder or anything like that."

If you don't like coach speak then don't listen to press conferences, but don't rip Taylor for doing what every other coach would do.

Not to go all "Barry Horrowitz" with the self back patting here, but you and I were the ones who admitted his first press conferences was a bunch of generic coach-speak while some other folks were getting all high over it.  Gotta stay centered (not that I always do).  It's been generic all the way and that makes sense with any NFL team especially one where things are so wrong and for such an obvious reason that won't change.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 12:50 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: He inherited a team that had gone 1-7 after the bye last year. They've essentially maintained that form.

And let's be honest in saying that there is a very good chance Mike Brown's views during this off-season are that we are still a win-now team that has been unlucky with injuries and other than the draft nothing needs to be done to fix it.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 01:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And let's be honest in saying that there is a very good chance Mike Brown's views during this off-season are that we are still a win-now team that has been unlucky with injuries and other than the draft nothing needs to be done to fix it.

and that ZT has proven his point that this team doesn't have the time to build solely thru the draft, They need quality FA's.

Not sure why many of you jump off a cliff. We knew there would be growing pains and this Line sucks and the LB's are killing us to.

This past year was a great year to snatch a couple good LB's in FA and focus on the OL for drafting. Until this organization buys into getting FA's to boost this team, we are stuck where we are.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 02:02 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: and that ZT has proven his point that this team doesn't have the time to build solely thru the draft, They need quality FA's.

Not sure why many of you jump off a cliff. We knew there would be growing pains and this Line sucks and the LB's are killing us to.

This past year was a great year to snatch a couple good LB's in FA and focus on the OL for drafting. Until this organization buys into getting FA's to boost this team, we are stuck where we are.

Even if we are going to say we are committed to building through the draft we aren't even doing that right.  We let our biggest rival jump us to take the LB we needed (I'm hoping Williams is a good pick, but who knows yet), and now we see Atlanta know this year is a wash and trade Sanu to the Patriots when we could have traded AJ or other vets to get more picks to build through the draft.

Can you really "build through the draft" when you just sit on your ass and only use the minimum alloted picks you get for it?  I guess you can, but this all just smacks of Mike Brown insisting we are always in "win now" mode and need to change zilch outside of the picks everyone gets.

That doesn't even take into account the lack of scouting and a real GM. I just see "we're gonna build through the draft" meaning "We don't feel like making any personnel moves that aren't required by the NFL."
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: ZT and Mike Brown both know what this organization does isn't conducive to winning football games.

Mike Brown wants to do whatever is needed to put people in seats. 
This is his sole business and therefore is directly tied to his livelihood. It also impacts his family's livelihood given the FO is composed of many of his family members.
He (reluctantly) replaced Marvin Lewis to appease the fans, as many quit showing up to games because they lost any hope Marvin could get this team deep into the playoffs.
The issue is that the organization operates on such a different approach than most (all?) other NFL franchises and a lot of their approach is antiquated.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote