Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are being coached by a millennial
(10-22-2019, 02:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Mike Brown wants to do whatever is needed to put people in seats. 
This is his sole business and therefore is directly tied to his livelihood. It also impacts his family's livelihood given the FO is composed of many of his family members.
He (reluctantly) replaced Marvin Lewis to appease the fans, as many quit showing up to games because they lost any hope Marvin could get this team deep into the playoffs.
The issue is that the organization operates on such a different approach than most (all?) other NFL franchises and a lot of their approach is antiquated.

So Mike Brown will do anything to get butts in seats but he won't operate the Bengals in a manner by which other NFL franchises operate?  That just doesn't make sense to me.  That's like saying you want to be in great shape but you don't want to eat right or exercise.  Or it's like wanting to put all your groceries in one bag but for that bag not to be heavy...or something. 

EDIT - Actually it's more like if I inherited a high-class and high-price restaurant in Manhattan...but I wanted to do the cooking myself even though I'm not even a decent cook much less a gourmet chef. I can look and see what my competition is doing...hmm hiring chefs....yeah I'd rather just do it myself. I want this place to be the best but I also want to just make people grilled cheese and ramen noodles. You can see my dilemma here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 02:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So Mike Brown will do anything to get butts in seats but he won't operate the Bengals in a manner by which other NFL franchises operate?  That just doesn't make sense to me.  That's like saying you want to be in great shape but you don't want to eat right or exercise.  Or it's like wanting to put all your groceries in one bag but for that bag not to be heavy...or something. 

EDIT - Actually it's more like if I inherited a high-class and high-price restaurant in Manhattan...but I wanted to do the cooking myself even though I'm not even a decent cook much less a gourmet chef.  I can look and see what my competition is doing...hmm hiring chefs....yeah I'd rather just do it myself.  I want this place to be the best but I also want to just make people grilled cheese and ramen noodles.  You can see my dilemma here.

Your Manhattan comparison is spot-on. Basically, you want to be successful but you want to do things the way you believe should be done.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 02:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Your Manhattan comparison is spot-on. Basically, you want to be successful but you want to do things the way you believe should be done.

Exactly!  It's like I told my wife before she left me...I WANT to be rich and successful, but I want to do it my way by sitting here and wasting time on a Bengals message board all day!
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 02:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: EDIT - Actually it's more like if I inherited a high-class and high-price restaurant in Manhattan...but I wanted to do the cooking myself even though I'm not even a decent cook much less a gourmet chef.  I can look and see what my competition is doing...hmm hiring chefs....yeah I'd rather just do it myself.  I want this place to be the best but I also want to just make people grilled cheese and ramen noodles.  You can see my dilemma here.

You just described like half of the owners on Kitchen Nightmares.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 12:50 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: He inherited a team that had gone 1-7 after the bye last year. They've essentially maintained that form.

Ssshhhhhhhh!!!!! That doesn't jive with the narrative!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 02:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So Mike Brown will do anything to get butts in seats but he won't operate the Bengals in a manner by which other NFL franchises operate?  That just doesn't make sense to me.  That's like saying you want to be in great shape but you don't want to eat right or exercise.  Or it's like wanting to put all your groceries in one bag but for that bag not to be heavy...or something. 

EDIT - Actually it's more like if I inherited a high-class and high-price restaurant in Manhattan...but I wanted to do the cooking myself even though I'm not even a decent cook much less a gourmet chef.  I can look and see what my competition is doing...hmm hiring chefs....yeah I'd rather just do it myself.  I want this place to be the best but I also want to just make people grilled cheese and ramen noodles.  You can see my dilemma here.

Yes but you left out the part where your competitors give you some cash from their profits too.

Critics pan your restaurant.  People used to like what your predecessor served hoping you'll bring it back. 

Yet you just keep on, keepin' on.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The only hope for a successful NFL team in Cincinnati is the Bengals . We won't get another franchise.

And for that to work they need to hire someone like Jon Gruden or Cowher who has credibility in the league and is given power to radically change things- including establishing a modern scouting organization and establishing a coherent long term strategic plan besides drafting a non-starting Tight end who cannot block in the second round.

Until this happens ( and it won't) there is no use in putting any more emotional energy  into the Bengals. ( or subsidizing this poorly run organization which would never succeed in the real business world by buying tickets)
Reply/Quote
Maybe if Taylor didn't praise the other team so much before we played them we might actually win.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 06:04 PM)bengals67 Wrote: The only hope for a successful NFL team in Cincinnati is the Bengals . We won't get another franchise.

And for that to work they need to hire someone like Jon Gruden or Cowher who has credibility in the league and is given power to radically change things- including establishing a modern scouting organization and establishing a coherent long term strategic plan besides drafting a non-starting Tight end who cannot block in the second round.

Until this happens ( and it won't) there is no use in putting any more emotional energy  into the Bengals. ( or subsidizing this poorly run organization which would never succeed in the real business world by buying tickets)

Would the NFL allow Jon Gruden to coach both the Raiders and Cincinnati franchise?
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Dave Shula's 1992 Bengals won 5 games...and also lost 5 games by 7 points or less.

Yes...they could have won 10 games with a few 'breaks'.
I believe that 92 team had Boomer at QB , Harold Green, Carl Pickens, Tim McGee, TE Rodney Holman, Tim Krumrie and David Fulcher. They would've smoked this Dalton/Zac lead team.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:41 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: Just reading his comments.  It is coming out. It’s like we are all winners.  Standing does not count.
”We shouldn't feel like a 0-7 team”
“That's what our record is, but that's not how we should feel”
Every body is a winner. Just have to try. Or as zac says keep fighting  this one is mine
“You see fans that are upset, and that's a positive in my opinion.”. Wtf. I know he went on to say it means they care.  

Well they should just hug it out and try.   Sorry just see the 90’s again.  Sure some things were fun like being paid to fly ?. But following the bengals was hart breaking.  

I believe hat we have now is the front office GM, lack of a real scouting department.  Owner not knowing sh#t form shinola when it comes to football talent and decisions.  

I still give coach 3 years but it’s going to be hard.

This is just a horrible take. 

What do you want him to say? He's speaking to the media here. You can't call out players when talking to the media. If you do, you automatically lose the locker room. 

And the millennial thing? I'm not even sure what the has to do with anything... 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 12:50 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: He inherited a team that had gone 1-7 after the bye last year. They've essentially maintained that form.

THIS. 

Its the front office's fault. Look at the freaking roster they are rolling out there each week. They did NOTHING in the off season to get better. 

Their number 1 draft pick got hurt, half of their offensive line retired, another offensive lineman didnt WANT to play, their best receiver got injured, and their defense was HISTORICALLY bad last year. What did the Bengals FO do to remedy any of this in the off-season? NOTHING. 

It's honestly a joke people can sit here and point the finger at ZT.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 02:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: THIS. 

Its the front office's fault. Look at the freaking roster they are rolling out there each week. They did NOTHING in the off season to get better. 

Their number 1 draft pick got hurt, half of their offensive line retired, another offensive lineman didnt WANT to play, their best receiver got injured, and their defense was HISTORICALLY bad last year. What did the Bengals FO do to remedy any of this in the off-season? NOTHING. 

He ain't exactly makin' lemonade outta lemons though. I guess we can hang out hats on the fact they've only been blasted twice... But very few NFL games are blowouts.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 02:43 PM)jason Wrote: He ain't exactly makin' lemonade outta lemons though. I guess we can hang out hats on the fact they've only been blasted twice... But very few NFL games are blowouts.

Exactly. What draft picks selected in the Taylor era are actually doing well so far?
None of them.

About the only players who have come into their own under this new regime are Ross (now on IR), Tate, and Hopkins.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
we shouldn't be this bad we have 4 really good DL. In Billings Dunlap Hubbard Atkins. All 4 would be starters on at least 80 percent of the NFL. Top 5 Center in Hopkins. Ok secondary. If we just could have average everywhere else we could be a top 5 team
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 02:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: THIS. 

That’s a big bingo right there. 90% of the players on this team were drafted by Marvin, Mikey and Katie. With 16 loses over last 18 games, this problem didn’t start this year. On top of being behind the eight ball getting a coach hired, and defensive coach, the deck was stacked against us. We did nothing to improve the defense, and the one offensive lineman we draft, gets hurt before the first preseason game. Trade dalton or let him walk, take that money and get some defensive help and another lineman for next year.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 02:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Exactly. What draft picks selected in the Taylor era are actually doing well so far?
None of them.

About the only players who have come into their own under this new regime are Ross (now on IR), Tate, and Hopkins.

You have absolutely no idea how much input Taylor had when it came to drafting this years players. 

Based on how our drafts have gone the past few years - I would say this years crop is pretty much on par with those draft classes of previous years. 

You are right that our draft isnt producing this year - but again im not sure Taylor is 100% at fault for that based on how our drafts have been in the recent past. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 04:10 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You have absolutely no idea how much input Taylor had when it came to drafting this years players. 

Based on how our drafts have gone the past few years - I would say this years crop is pretty much on par with those draft classes of previous years. 

You are right that our draft isnt producing this year - but again im not sure Taylor is 100% at fault for that based on how our drafts have been in the recent past. 

You're right, I don't know how much input Taylor had, but I'd imagine it's more than last year (because he wasn't here last year).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The narrative during the draft: A blocking TE in the 2nd Round - ZT gets his guy! This has his fingerprints all over it.

When things go South 7 games into the season: It's hard to know how much input Zac has on the draft. This draft looks like any other.
Reply/Quote
eh. He's not wrong. I don't think this team is 0-7 bad. Just anti-clutch in very specific scenarios. We could easily be 4-3 with a few clutch moments.

Obviously squeaking out wins is not ideal, but we aren't being blown out in most of these games.

I don't see what being a millennial has to do with it.
Reply/Quote