Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are on Candidate #7 for DC
(02-15-2019, 11:19 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I've said it before in other threads and I'll say it again.  This is going to be either an epic turn around via coaching or a major fail.  The Bengals are all in with a coach with very little experience who also said he will be making the offensive play calls, a team basically begging at this point for a decent defensive coordinator, and an offense/defense that is aging.  Let's hope for a hell of a good draft and a few good free agency picks.  

We definately need to improve the line and linebackers or it won't matter who the coaches are.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We definately need to improve the line and linebackers or it won't matter who the coaches are.

And I'm sure that is in the plans. If we know it, he knows it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:25 PM)McC Wrote: And I'm sure that is in the plans.  If we know it, he knows it.

We also knew they needed a starting RT and they went into the season with Bobby Hart.

It's really hard to say with the Bengals whether they will address needs.

They allowed Bodine to start for years.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:55 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: My original pick for DC last year and I’d still love to get him here this year, just haven’t read any rumors about teams wanting him or his interest in the NFL, is Jim Leonhard. Former player, college DC at Wisconsin, coaches and players rave about his knowledge and attention to detail.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21425869/jim-leonhard-wisconsin-defensive-whiz-kid

Also a fan of jim leonhard.  I too was hoping we looked at him last year.  Not sure why he hasnt been on radar...hopefully hes the next name on the list.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We also knew they needed a starting RT and they went into the season with Bobby Hart.

It's really hard to say with the Bengals whether they will address needs.

They allowed Bodine to start for years.

You're forgetting or ignoring one big thing--different regime.  Surely you can't be blaming Zac Taylor for what happened here previous years too.  Or hell, maybe you are.  You are on  roll, after all.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:29 AM)McC Wrote: You're forgetting or ignoring one big thing--different regime.  Surely you can't be blaming Zac Taylor for what happened here previous years too.  Or hell, maybe you are.  You are on  roll, after all.

Is it really a different regime? The "GM" is still here. Management is still here. Ownership is still here. They manage the large salary cap rollover and trades. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:35 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Is it really a different regime? The "GM" is still here. Management is still here. Ownership is still here. They manage the large salary cap rollover and trades. 

Okay.  New coaching regime.  Sweeping out most of the old staff.  Paying essentially two staffs for the coming season.  New way of doing business. 

A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest.

Reply/Quote
I think at this point, the organization needs to go in stealth mode when it comes to interviews for DC. The right guy that is everything this Defense needs is out there somewhere. It may or may not be someone already on the declined list, who knows? But with all this BS news about this candidate and that candidate who is our next top choice is creating, or has already created, a monkey on the back of a new regime heading/preparing for their first season. It’s really not a distraction the team needs right now.

Regardless of where we are right now, it’s still better than heading into a new season with previous staff IMO.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:29 AM)McC Wrote: You're forgetting or ignoring one big thing--different regime.  Surely you can't be blaming Zac Taylor for what happened here previous years too.  Or hell, maybe you are.  You are on  roll, after all.

The same management team is in place. The coach isn't responsible for free agent signings.

Do you think Marvin targeted Bobby Hart to be his starting RT?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 01:35 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Is it really a different regime? The "GM" is still here. Management is still here. Ownership is still here. They manage the large salary cap rollover and trades. 

Precisely. It's a regime that values compensatory picks over signing external free agents.

And a regime that hasn't won a playoff game in 27+ years.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 03:25 AM)McC Wrote: Okay.  New coaching regime.  Sweeping out most of the old staff.  Paying essentially two staffs for the coming season.  New way of doing business. 

Precisely. Homers gonna home.

Just like last year how Pollack was going to fix the line. We even added 2 new lineman and similar results.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 03:25 AM)McC Wrote: Okay.  New coaching regime.  Sweeping out most of the old staff.  Paying essentially two staffs for the coming season.  New way of doing business. 

A new way of coaching (albeit 2 years too late), not a new way of doing business. 

And I agree that some people see and hear what they want. There are a lot of Helen Kellers on this board that didn't see or hear the last 30 years.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:58 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: A new way of coaching (albeit 2 years too late), not a new way of doing business. 

And I agree that some people see and hear what they want. There are a lot of Helen Kellers on this board that didn't see or hear the last 30 years.

And then there are others who are so blinded by the last thirty years that they can't even see change when it happens right in front of their eyes.

So, yeah, what else ya got?  Other than old narratives, that is?

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:24 AM)McC Wrote: And then there are others who are so blinded by the last thirty years that they can't even see change when it happens right in front of their eyes.

So, yeah, what else ya got?  Other than old narratives, that is?

Oh over those 30 years the coaches have changed...the management team is largely the same.

We'll eventually win a playoff game. It's pretty mindblowing that we haven't as all but about 4 teams haven't won ATLEAST 5 since we last won 1.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:45 PM)jj22 Wrote: This only works with a strong FO. They should have never waited to lock down the staff till after the Superbowl.

A stronger FO would have made sure he got his guys (or at least his plan L). It's the Bengals (if things changed, league coaches don't feel it yet, and with Marvin gone who can they trust?) this isn't on ZT. He's finding this out the hard way.

I actually give the Bengals credit for waiting. They decided to defer to Zac so he could get his own coaches. The alternative was to hire a bunch of coaches that Zac may not have approved like possibly Jack Del Rio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:45 AM)Phil in BG Wrote: I actually give the Bengals credit for waiting. They decided to defer to Zac so he could get his own coaches.  The alternative was to hire a bunch of coaches that Zac may not have approved like possibly Jack Del Rio.

Other teams talk to the HC and line up deals with the Staff.

This isn't the Bengals being patient now. This is the Bengals getting rejected by like upwards of 10 coaches they've tried to hire now.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Other teams talk to the HC and line up deals with the Staff.

This isn't the Bengals being patient now. This is the Bengals getting rejected by like upwards of 10 coaches they've tried to hire now.
I think 10 might be a stretch if your counting Del Rio, Capers, Pleasant and Glenn. The only ones we know turned them down are Grantham and Hafley. I believe much of their difficulty in finding a DC is the timing.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:59 AM)Phil in BG Wrote: I think 10 might be a stretch if your counting Del Rio, Capers, Pleasant and Glenn. The only ones we know turned them down are Grantham and Hafley. I believe much of their difficulty in finding a DC is the timing.

I think the huge mistake was taking the rule where you can't communicate with a coach still in the playoffs too seriously. Other teams violate that all the time and line up a staff. They didn't.

Then they went for guys who already had equal or better jobs...
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 12:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think the huge mistake was taking the rule where you can't communicate with a coach still in the playoffs too seriously. Other teams violate that all the time and line up a staff. They didn't.

Then they went for guys who already had equal or better jobs...

I totally agree. They need to fix the system.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 12:04 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: I totally agree. They need to fix the system.

Absolutely.

On somewhat of a side note, I blame that damn 57 yard FG.

Reply/Quote