Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We better not pull that taking Pratt off the field on 3rd down crap in the playoffs.
We did it a couple times last week, and i have no reason why we would. Hes like our most clutch 3rd down defender.

I was going to ask the board if anyone rewatched the game or was paying attention to which guy was getting Pratt's spot when we subbed him out of 3rd downs? Was it Gaither?

If Gaither is getting 3rd downs instead of Pratt I can only imagine its for fatigue purposes, but I never see Pratt tired so Idk how that can be it.

WHat does ADG do better than Pratt? Hes not better in coverage. Is he a better blitz guy?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 08:35 PM)Housh Wrote: We did it a couple times last week, and i have no reason why we would. Hes like our most clutch 3rd down defender.

I was going to ask the board if anyone rewatched the game or was paying attention to which guy was getting Pratt's spot when we subbed him out of 3rd downs? Was it Gaither?

If Gaither is getting 3rd downs instead of Pratt I can only imagine its for fatigue purposes, but I never see Pratt tired so Idk how that can be it.

WHat does ADG do better than Pratt? Hes not better in coverage. Is he a better blitz guy?

Sometimes we only play with 1 LB in obvious passing downs, and it is Wilson. Hill, Flowers, Davis, and George are all better in coverage, they are DBs. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 08:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Sometimes we only play with 1 LB in obvious passing downs, and it is Wilson. Hill, Flowers, Davis, and George are all better in coverage, they are DBs. 

This. Pratt gets pulled when we switch to dime and Tre Flowers comes in. Pratt is solid in coverage, but obviously a 6’3” 200lb CB is going to be better in coverage. 
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 09:09 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: This. Pratt gets pulled when we switch to dime and Tre Flowers comes in. Pratt is solid in coverage, but obviously a 6’3” 200lb CB is going to be better in coverage. 

I wanna shit on Flowers and say id rather have Pratt in on those plays than him but I wouldnt. EVen with the bad game yesterday hes made a name for himself as the dime corner.

I would have to rewatch the game and i just dont feel like it this week, but I am not sure every play Pratt was subbed out on 3rd down was a dime defense. Im fairly certain they took him off in different formations too.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Pratt played 85% of the snaps which is about where he normally is

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Yet another good problem to have.

As Bengals fans, we're not used to seeing players continue to grow. I'm a Dalton fan that fully admits that he pretty much plateaued when he got here and that has been the case with most players in Cincinnati in the Mike Brown era pre-Zac.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 11:25 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Yet another good problem to have.

As Bengals fans, we're not used to seeing players continue to grow. I'm a Dalton fan that fully admits that he pretty much plateaued when he got here and that has been the case with most players in Cincinnati in the Mike Brown era pre-Zac.

I’m not gonna do Marvin like this. He had plenty of players he developed that went on to other teams and weren’t shit. Michael Johnson was so bad he ended up back in Cincy before his FA contract was even up.

I think Zac is squeezing more out of the 2nd and 3rd string depth chart guys than Marvin did. That is absolutely coaching. When injuries happened over Marvin it was a wrap. It was as if our guys just gave up.

I wish i was off work because this gave me a prettt hood thread idea. Maybe later this evening I’ll look at 1 or 2 Marvin’s best teams (2005/2011?) and see how he utilized the back of the depth chart guys compared to Zac.

For whatever reason guys produce under Zac off the bench. It’s actually quite impressive.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 08:35 PM)Housh Wrote: We did it a couple times last week, and i have no reason why we would. Hes like our most clutch 3rd down defender.

He may possibly be a better blitz guy (ADG), but I think what is being lost here is the rotational nature that Lou has used really all season.  I saw a lot of Zack Carter out there in critical spots.  Saw Reader out and Tupou in.  Saw a lot of Cam Sample and Joe Ossai.  I think that is one way that he is trying to keep everyone healthy all while getting the young guys some key experience. 

Even if Pratt plays every snap the first two playoff games and the Bengals win, but against KC he is nicked up and tired to go with a rusty ADG, is the team better off?  

There isn't a lot of drop off when he comes off the field, but I agree that for the most critical snaps on third downs, I want him out there.  

On the outside chance that Lamar plays, ADG could be a spy for him.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 08:20 AM)Housh Wrote: I’m not gonna do Marvin like this. He had plenty of players he developed that went on to other teams and weren’t shit. Michael Johnson was so bad he ended up back in Cincy before his FA contract was even up.

I think Zac is squeezing more out of the 2nd and 3rd string depth chart guys than Marvin did. That is absolutely coaching. When injuries happened over Marvin it was a wrap. It was as if our guys just gave up.

I wish i was off work because this gave me a prettt hood thread idea. Maybe later this evening I’ll look at 1 or 2 Marvin’s best teams (2005/2011?) and see how he utilized the back of the depth chart guys compared to Zac.

For whatever reason guys produce under Zac off the bench. It’s actually quite impressive.

Completely agree with this, and I will add it makes the inevitable roster turnover easier when you have guys at the back of the roster that have performed.  Some of it is scouting.  There are lots of reasons PJ Walker never got snaps here, but Zac and Lou absolutely use every bullet in their chamber.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 08:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He may possibly be a better blitz guy (ADG), but I think what is being lost here is the rotational nature that Lou has used really all season.  I saw a lot of Zack Carter out there in critical spots.  Saw Reader out and Tupou in.  Saw a lot of Cam Sample and Joe Ossai.  I think that is one way that he is trying to keep everyone healthy all while getting the young guys some key experience. 

Even if Pratt plays every snap the first two playoff games and the Bengals win, but against KC he is nicked up and tired to go with a rusty ADG, is the team better off?  

There isn't a lot of drop off when he comes off the field, but I agree that for the most critical snaps on third downs, I want him out there.  

On the outside chance that Lamar plays, ADG could be a spy for him.  

That and the constant rotation on the D line keeps fresh legs on the rushers. Zimmer did this when he was here. Having a crew of backups on the D line who can rotate with little to no drop off is key.
Reply/Quote