Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We definitely tried to put this game away early
(09-14-2018, 11:35 AM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah I do not care about imaginary people losing their imaginary shit in an imaginary situation.
I have a hard time believing that any neutral person watching could quite understand a 14 seconds, no timeout drive with a 28-7 lead. 28-10, I take that too.
Most happily of course, I take the first down after two runs and maybe even a pass. And I take the two timeouts Baltimore loses. Then I can shoot perhaps.

Yeah that doesn't make sense to me. We couldn't score after the half time, so we needed to score before half time, so even though we couldn't score there either, it still was the right call to throw in hindsight.

No it was not.

Yea we aren't agreeing on this one. We won though so I'll simply say I like the way the game was coached as a whole.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 10:18 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Completely agree. If we would have run it three times, everyone would have been complaining about being conservative. I liked the attempt, hated the results. Hope they keep that mentality.

Yep. I'm not about to complain when a team tries to score points. I have no problem with the mentality. Players just need to do a better job of executing. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 10:26 AM)hollodero Wrote: I disagree. That was just not smart to do that. You get the ball in the second half anyway, you can fire at will then. With a 28-7 lead, you need to at least make the Ravens burn their timeouts. While still trying to get a first down with two to three runs.
That's not "conservative", that is common sense.

Or at least go for easy completions, not for some hastily thrown out shots. Having an aggressive mentality is good, but being stupid is not.
That's why I said 'in general' . You can't deny that our two minute drills have often been too conservative.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:12 PM)treee Wrote: That's why I said 'in general' . You can't deny that our two minute drills have often been too conservative.

I can deny anything! In this case, I wouldn't, it would make me look a bit stupid. Sure you're right, but that doesn't mean we need to go the other extreme.

In general, I like aggressive play calls, albeit not necessarily against the Ravens. In this situaton, I consider the play call borderline incompetent though.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 05:40 AM)treee Wrote: A lot of y'all were miffed that we threw 3 times with a minute left in the 2nd half (and to be fair it set up an easy score for the Ravens), but I do like the mentality in general. Everyone knows ML teams mail it in if they have possession with under 2 minutes and a lead. I like that they didn't want to let the foot off the gas. They saw that Andy was on a roll and tried to capitalize off of it. This offense can be very high octane with a "no amount of points are enough" attitude.

Another reason that really stands out that this year is different and so is the coaching staff.

We can all look back in hindsight and say some playcalls are stupid but going for the jugular i love.

It is what the Eagles do, they won the Superbowl doing it. They are not always successful doing it either but it
gives other teams something to think about more than always playing it conservative and as someone would say
"smart". Marv has put something together here and i have to give him cred for changing.
Reply/Quote