Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"We didn't play very well."
Those are Marvin's words from the presser this morning. It's easy to sense that he has a new attitude this season. He's looking for things to fix, ways to improve. We won? Great? We've got another game next week. Were not going to win these games if we don't get better. Happy we won today, but we didn't play all that well. We have things to improve on.

I think the team's responding as well. No more happy just to be winning just because we'd been losing for so long..
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 02:10 AM)Shady Wrote: Those are Marvin's words from the presser this morning. It's easy to sense that he has a new attitude this season. He's looking for things to fix, ways to improve. We won? Great? We've got another game next week. Were not going to win these games if we don't get better. Happy we won today, but we didn't play all that well. We have things to improve on.

I think the team's responding as well. No more happy just to be winning just because we'd been losing for so long..

I know this is all speculation, but Marvin "reevaluated" himself and the team when Carson left...    they got better.

He has "reevaluated" himself and the team again, and I'm hoping, they get better.

But, Marvin usually says that after most games....

I've been watching the Marvin interviews and locker room interviews for a long time and there is certainly a different feel this year. Andy feels more loose and Marvin seems fired up inside and ready to go. I don't know how to explain it exactly. It could just be imagination, or there could be something actually going on this year, I'm not sure yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 02:16 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I know this is all speculation, but Marvin "reevaluated" himself and the team when Carson left...    they got better.

He has "reevaluated" himself and the team again, and I'm hoping, they get better.

But, Marvin usually says that after most games....

I've been watching the Marvin interviews and locker room interviews for a long time and there is certainly a different feel this year. Andy feels more loose and Marvin seems fired up inside and ready to go. I don't know how to explain it exactly. It could just be imagination, or there could be something actually going on this year, I'm not sure yet.

Agree about Andy. It was funny listening to him joke about Fisher's catch. LOL 

I think Marvin really wants to get the job done this year. I think he knows the talent level of this team and wants to play into February. He's become a grinder though. It's cliche for him now, but it's one game at a time, and our last game was never good enough. It's the last part that I think is really new. Win, lose, or draw, we have to get better.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 02:33 AM)Shady Wrote: Agree about Andy. It was funny listening to him joke about Fisher's catch. LOL 

I think Marvin really wants to get the job done this year. I think he knows the talent level of this team and wants to play into February. He's become a grinder though. It's cliche for him now, but it's one game at a time, and our last game was never good enough. It's the last part that I think is really new. Win, lose, or draw, we have to get better.

One of people's biggest criticisms of Marvin has always seemed to be that he doesn't hold his players accountable and that they don't play with inspiration or a fear like he'll put his foot up their ass if they fail, but I was thoroughly impressed with the way he benched Hill and didn't put him back in the game (I was praying that he'd put him back in the game).

Funny, though, because I haven't heard one word from the Marvin haters who claim that he doesn't hold players accountable.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 03:18 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: One of people's biggest criticisms of Marvin has always seemed to be that he doesn't hold his players accountable and that they don't play with inspiration or a fear like he'll put his foot up their ass if they fail, but I was thoroughly impressed with the way he benched Hill and didn't put him back in the game (I was praying that he'd put him back in the game).

Funny, though, because I haven't heard one word from the Marvin haters who claim that he doesn't hold players accountable.

Hill needed to be held accountable and was. It made me happy, even with Hill on my fantasy team haha. It will only make Hill hungrier watching Gio rack up the yards while he rides the bench. Those two really bring out the best in each other. You could tell in the postgame interview that Gio was happy to prove there are 2 backs in Cincinnati! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Do you think HIll being held accountable was more a Hue thing or Marvin thing, though? Secondly, Marvin says that after every press conference. I'm pretty sure if a few of us who watch his press conferences put our heads together, we could spit out 80% of the things he will say in script before he has his press conference.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 02:10 AM)Shady Wrote: Those are Marvin's words from the presser this morning. It's easy to sense that he has a new attitude this season. He's looking for things to fix, ways to improve. We won? Great? We've got another game next week. Were not going to win these games if we don't get better. Happy we won today, but we didn't play all that well. We have things to improve on.

Having this same attitude on these boards will get you called a pessimist. Look at the thread titled "last week it was the raiders". Goes to show half of the boards are based on fantasies and homerism.
Reply/Quote
Gotta say, I watched those Jets last night with their store-bought secondary.... Kept thinking, "Okay. You could cover three Bengals. Now's who's got Gio out of the backfield, or Sanu working the slot? Or are you putting a shrimp like Skrine or Gilchrist on Eifert?"

Weren't skeered, is what it was.
Reply/Quote
I thought we played the Chargers very well. There was a few mistakes with Hill, and a miscommunication that lead to a TD. You can't really expect the LBs that we have right now to play great either.

We should have won that game by at least 14 points if the refs weren't acting like idiots out there. They gave the Chargers a free TD by not calling a penalty. They gave them a turnover when Hill had his knee down. The gave them extra tries on their drives with stuff like the holding call on Kirkpatrick (when we should have got a penalty).

We were whooping them a LOT more than what the score looks like.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:04 AM)tigershrimp Wrote: Gotta say, I watched those Jets last night with their store-bought secondary.... Kept thinking, "Okay. You could cover three Bengals. Now's who's got Gio out of the backfield, or Sanu working the slot? Or are you putting a shrimp like Skrine or Gilchrist on Eifert?"

The Colts have a bad defense. If the Jets had any kind of offense they would have blown them out.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:09 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: The Colts have a bad defense. If the Jets had any kind of offense they would have blown them out.

When Jon Gruden was heaping pregame praise on ol' "Harvard" Fitzpatrick, I was thinking: "Yeah, he's prolly a real genius with a playbook. Too bad he's got no touch on his passes."
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:32 AM)tigershrimp Wrote: When Jon Gruden was heaping pregame praise on ol' "Harvard" Fitzpatrick, I was thinking: "Yeah, he's prolly a real genius with a playbook. Too bad he's got no touch on his passes."

True. But he managed what he had well enough. I can't help but think that active QBs that played for the Bengals at one time are 6-0 this season. 

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:06 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I thought we played the Chargers very well. There was a few mistakes with Hill, and a miscommunication that lead to a TD. You can't really expect the LBs that we have right now to play great either.

We should have won that game by at least 14 points if the refs weren't acting like idiots out there. They gave the Chargers a free TD by not calling a penalty. They gave them a turnover when Hill had his knee down. The gave them extra tries on their drives with stuff like the holding call on Kirkpatrick (when we should have got a penalty).

We were whooping them a LOT more than what the score looks like.

Agreed, but my point was that Marvin doesn't seem content with how we played. No complacency. "And that's a good thing." 
Reply/Quote

How nice is it to not play very well yet come home with the win!!!  LOVE IT!!!

Who Dey
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 10:04 AM)tigershrimp Wrote: Gotta say, I watched those Jets last night with their store-bought secondary.... Kept thinking, "Okay. You could cover three Bengals. Now's who's got Gio out of the backfield, or Sanu working the slot? Or are you putting a shrimp like Skrine or Gilchrist on Eifert?"

Andrew Luck broke the number one rule last night. He tested Revis Island... over. and over. and over. BAD IDEA.
Reply/Quote
The OL, Gio and Geno played great.

Everyone else left a lot on the field.

He's right. It's good to see the accountability.
Hopefully he stomps sense into both the Reys about gap responsibility
Reply/Quote

Encouraged to hear that.   There's a lot to be happy about regarding their play.  Hope Marvin can translate his dissatisfaction into positive change.  If we continue to grow we should have a tremendous season.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 11:07 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: True. But he managed what he had well enough. I can't help but think that active QBs that played for the Bengals at one time are 6-0 this season. 

Fitzy will **** that up...  He lost everywhere he's been, yet seems to keep getting starting gigs.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think Marvin's comment about not playing very well really could have been closer to "we still have a few issues we need to work on". The long TD was obviously an issue. And it seemed that the seam route on the hash marks for 8 to 10 yards was always there for the chargers (kept a couple of their drives moving). I don't know if those medium passes underneath were kind of intentional or not as a way to keep the play in front of you and not give up the long ball - and if they were I'm kind of OK with it as the end result justified the scheme / game plan.
On the Other hand the plus side of the equation is pretty good - no int's given up, no sacks, good run D, loved the Munozish tackle eligible, passing game was pretty good with an emerging pro bowl tight end.
So far so good - just keep holding my breath though. Never fails - just when this team seems to have momentum, they come out with a game that looks like they have the wrong team planned for and flat as a pancake. (Wha - Wha - had to do it, been a fan since 68 and always will have a scar from the debbie downer era -post Sam Wyche).
Reply/Quote

If you're after greatness, you have to fervently pursue it.  It will not fall in your lap.  Things do look different this year.  It's a good start.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote