Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We got hosed.
So the Chiefs and Bill's can rest their players collect the 1 and 2 seed and force a coin flip for home field. The Bengals get a honorary title AFCN title but will have to win week 18 to lock up a home playoff spot so no rest before the playoffs. They only get a shot at a home Championship game if KC loses?

I got that all correct? Wow yea Bengals got screwed.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:09 AM)Synric Wrote: So the Chiefs and Bill's can rest their players collect the 1 and 2 seed and force a coin flip for home field.  The Bengals get a honorary title AFCN title but will have to win week 18 to lock up a home playoff spot so no rest before the playoffs. They only get a shot at a home Championship game if KC loses?

Right, KC has to lose and we have to beat Buffalo in Buffalo.  Sounds fair to a few guys on this message board.  Whatever

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:09 AM)Synric Wrote: So the Chiefs and Bill's can rest their players collect the 1 and 2 seed and force a coin flip for home field.  The Bengals get a honorary title AFCN title but will have to win week 18 to lock up a home playoff spot so no rest before the playoffs. They only get a shot at a home Championship game if KC loses?

No they will have to play their starters too. KC has to win to lock up #1. If they lose and Bills win, Bills get #1. If Bills lose and Bengals win, Bengals get #2.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:09 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I see, win one game is more viable than win one game and a 2 second coin flip?  Gotcha... HUGE difference there...

Well it was win ONE of TWO games...

It is good to see the experts coming out on Twitter saying how terrible the Bengals were screwed, sad that we have our own fans thinking this is just fine and dandy.

I don’t quite think it’s fine and dandy. I just think there are arguments that folks aren’t willing to hear. e.g., how long the coin flip takes is irrelevant given its intended purpose (it accounts for uncertainty as a mathematical object).

I do think there are issues with consistency. The coin flip thing should be applied the same way in the other rounds (or the neutral field should be applied to Baltimore instead). I think it’s fair to beef with draft position and schedule alignment for the 2023 season.

I’m just trying to apply some nuance instead of screaming all over the thread and insulting everyone in my unbridled outrage. I don’t really care if you think that makes me a bad fan or dense or whatever else.
Reply/Quote

Wha...

[Image: 14cb50dd-fe1e-438c-9c0f-dc403b07f251_text.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:16 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I don’t quite think it’s fine and dandy. I just think there are arguments that folks aren’t willing to hear. e.g., how long the coin flip takes is irrelevant given its intended purpose (it accounts for uncertainty as a mathematical object).

I do think there are issues with consistency. The coin flip thing should be applied the same way in the other rounds (or the neutral field should be applied to Baltimore instead). I think it’s fair to beef with draft position and schedule alignment for the 2023 season.

I’m just trying to apply some nuance instead of screaming all over the thread and insulting everyone in my unbridled outrage. I don’t really care if you think that makes me a bad fan or dense or whatever else.

You want to do a stupid coin flip?  Coin flip the MNF game we were winning, that would be way easier, than all of this.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 02:18 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: They still have a more viable path. Win and there’s no coin flip.

The Bengals were robbed of the opportunity to win the #2 seed and a potential divisional playoff at home.  They were given no "coin flip" as a consideration for that.  They're being punished for the fact that the NFL didn't have the spine to reschedule the game for Wednesday like they should have.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:21 AM)casear2727 Wrote: You want to do a stupid coin flip?  Coin flip the MNF game we were winning, that would be way easier, than all of this.

Hell, that’d be mathematically equivalent from the Ravens’ perspective. The Chiefs would probably gripe.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:23 AM)Roland Wrote: The Bengals were robbed of the opportunity to win the #2 seed and a potential divisional playoff at home.  They were given no "coin flip" as a consideration for that.  They're being punished for the fact that the NFL didn't have the spine to reschedule the game for Wednesday like they should have.

I do think that’s a legitimate inconsistency, yes. Those that approved the thing would likely argue “the Bills and Bengals played the same number of games, so there’s no reason to introduce a coin flip”. I wouldn’t really agree with that either.
Reply/Quote
Honestly I would rather see the Bengals eat an L and go into week 18 fighting for the AFCN. That way if they do lose they wont automatically eat a first place schedule and lose the home playoff game.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The biggest inconsistency:

Hypothetically,

11-6 Ravens can host the 11-5 Bengals with a coin flip.

12-4 Bengals can NOT host the 13-4 Chiefs with a coin flip.

It’s a half-game difference either way, but the approach is different. The league’s rationale would be that the two head-to-head “tiebreakers” are not the same. The Ravens would have two wins over the Bengals, and the Bengals would only have one win over the Chiefs. I think that argument is weak.

One could also argue that a neutral site game is mathematically the “same” advantage as a coin flip between home and away. I think that’s at least controversial though, and the NFL’s own logic is inconsistent with that assertion. They’re treating Baltimore’s possible coin flip as a reward (for the hypothetical division sweep).
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 11:40 PM)bengals73 Wrote: Bengals getting screwed?? No way.. that would never happen

I would have at least demanded a breath mint on my pillow
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/whoodey86/status/1611224567715958789
And some fans think we're not getting screwed? Shame on the NFL, shame on the Bills, they should forfeit and if not, at least have a word to the NFL about neutral site instead of enjoying those benefit.
Reply/Quote
At least make Bills vs Bengals in the divisional be on a neutral field. It doesn’t make sense to do it with the afc title game while not doing it for cincy at buffalo
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 11:22 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: The committee is presenting their proposal to the owners tomorrow.

It’s a no contest. The only shot at a neutral site game instead of going on the road for us is if both Buffalo and KC lose this weekend. If we lose this weekend they will flip a coin for home field for the Wildcard game if it’s against Baltimore.

So how did we end up with the worst competitive outcome. Just ridiculous.

This is absolute horse sh*t and I hate it for you guys. Should go down as a Bills loss but my guess is the NFL doesn't want the blowback. Who cares if they screw over the Bengals, right? Terrible. If you guys had the letters "LA" in front of your name this wouldn't be an issue.

Bengals were not going to be stopped Monday night. For what it's worth I think Bengals will be in the SB this year. To be honest I've never seen anything quite like how the team has progressed this year. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 11:46 PM)Big Boss Wrote: A Bills/Bengals divisional game should not be played in Buffalo.  I can stomach the Ravens coin flip thing, but come on.  Our home game against the Bills gets cancelled but then we are expected to go to their house in the post season?  When beating them in our house would have prevented that?

Bullshit.

this is why the game should've been played. i live in kansas city and every chief fan i know here agrees 100% we're getting hosed. the playoff game will have to happen in buffalo now, and it's complete trash. as a bengal fan however, it really doesn't surprise me.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:47 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: The biggest inconsistency:

Hypothetically,

11-6 Ravens can host the 11-5 Bengals with a coin flip.

12-4 Bengals can NOT host the 13-4 Chiefs with a coin flip.

It’s a half-game difference either way, but the approach is different. The league’s rationale would be that the two head-to-head “tiebreakers” are not the same. The Ravens would have two wins over the Bengals, and the Bengals would only have one win over the Chiefs. I think that argument is weak.

One could also argue that a neutral site game is mathematically the “same” advantage as a coin flip between home and away. I think that’s at least controversial though, and the NFL’s own logic is inconsistent with that assertion. They’re treating Baltimore’s possible coin flip as a reward (for the hypothetical division sweep).
what if, bengals win the next 2 games? and KC wins against the raiders? would a 14-4 record with a bengals head to head then force a tiebreaker being hosted by cincy? oh that's right. we just make up rules as we go. n/m
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:21 AM)casear2727 Wrote: You want to do a stupid coin flip?  Coin flip the MNF game we were winning, that would be way easier, than all of this.

I will say, if they're looking at a coin flip to see who wins the division (in practice, the title means nothing in comparison to the home game), then I agree with you here. If we're happy with a coin flip for that, I'd rather just coin flip the Bengals-Bills game.
Reply/Quote
The NFL is screwing everybody by having different rules for each game scenario. If neutral sites are going to be involved make EVERY team play on a neutral site. If coin flips now determine home field advantage make EVERY game subject to this. And not just for the AFC…NFC has to do this too.

This decision is going to potentially cost the team and the city of Cincinnati millions of dollars.

But if the Bengals have been playing with a chip on their shoulder…it’s a boulder now. Win on Sunday and at least the coin flip goes out the window

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 06:24 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I will say, if they're looking at a coin flip to see who wins the division (in practice, the title means nothing in comparison to the home game), then I agree with you here. If we're happy with a coin flip for that, I'd rather just coin flip the Bengals-Bills game.

Correct. At least we have a 50% chance of a win and benefit of the two seed. If we lose the coin flip, we are in the same position we are in now. That’s a win/win.

But the bills wouldn’t agree to this.

It boils down to this.

This bills are getting a “tie” outcome from MNf game, with even some AFCCG upside more closer to a win.

The bengals are getting a “loss” outcome from MnF
Reply/Quote