Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing College Student
(08-21-2018, 09:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My thoughts are with the family of the victim.  May they somehow find peace.

Elections are coming up and there's a wall to build. Peace is unlikely
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Trump and our other local GOP leaders, and many of their mouth breathing redneck deplorables sure have turned this into a Build the Wall narrative quickly.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Just to illustrate this is not a race issue. Here's a Hispanic college student, slain by an American citizen, in the exact same state:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/iowa-state-golfer-celia-barquin-arozamena-found-dead/story?id=57900738

Quote:A man with a criminal background was charged with murder just hours after a former Iowa State University champion golfer turned up dead in a pond on a golf course.

Collin Daniel Richards, 22, who police said has no known address and, according to court records, was kicked out of his grandparents' house a year ago, was charged with first-degree murder in Celia Barquin Arozamena's stabbing death Monday.

Police found her body at Coldwater Links public golf course near Iowa State University in Ames, where she apparently went golfing alone Monday morning

I know my liberal friends would disagree but I'd have 0 problem if these 2 murders shared the same ride on old sparky.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 12:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Just to illustrate this is not a race issue. Here's a Hispanic college student, slain by an American citizen, in the exact same state:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/iowa-state-golfer-celia-barquin-arozamena-found-dead/story?id=57900738

I know my liberal friends would disagree but I'd have 0 problem if these 2 murders shared the same ride on old sparky.  

I wish Iowa had the death penalty, bfine.  But we don't.  So these two sacks of shit get to keep living on our dime. 

FWIW, The douchebag who killed Mollie Tibbets just pleaded Not Guilty the other day.
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I'm no fan of the death penalty and never have,  but one option not really discussed much would be to leave it up to the condemned . Would you rather just be put down now or spend the next 50 or so years in the cage with the rest of the animals?  I suspect that a good number of people locked up for the rest of their lives would gladly accept a nice quiet needle death over the everyday violence and terror of prison. 
It's certainly not a deterrent. Very few, if any murderers think they'll ever get caught in the first place . You can make all the threats of capital punishment you want, but if nobody thinks they'll be caught it doesn't really add anything to public safety.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 12:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm no fan of the death penalty and never have,  but one option not really discussed much would be to leave it up to the condemned . Would you rather just be put down now or spend the next 50 or so years in the cage with the rest of the animals?  I suspect that a good number of people locked up for the rest of their lives would gladly accept a nice quiet needle death over the everyday violence and terror of prison. 
It's certainly not a deterrent. Very few, if any murderers think they'll ever get caught in the first place . You can make all the threats of capital punishment you want, but if nobody thinks they'll be caught it doesn't really add anything to public safety.. 

Then why do they fight their sentence until every last option is gone?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 02:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: FWIW, The douchebag who killed Mollie Tibbets just pleaded Not Guilty the other day.

How do you know he killed her?

Death penalty is not a moral or financial issue.  The fact is that we shouldn't have it because our criminal justice system makes too many mistakes.

Playing God when you are not perfect could end up making you murder an innocent man.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How do you know he killed her?

Death penalty is not a moral or financial issue.  The fact is that we shouldn't have it because our criminal justice system makes too many mistakes.

Playing God when you are not perfect could end up making you murder an innocent man.

I don't know that he killed her.  I'll let the court system decide that.  But if he is found guilty of killing her, then ya, I feel the death penalty should be a viable option. 

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 02:33 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I don't know that he killed her.  I'll let the court system decide that.  But if he is found guilty of killing her, then ya, I feel the death penalty should be a viable option. 

Since this is not P&R this will be my last comment on the subject, but you have WAY to much confidence in our criminal justice system.  There is so much proof of so many false convictions that there is no way they should be able to take a persons life.
Reply/Quote