Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have doubled our sacks since the Baltimore game!
So in the first 9 games the Bengals just had 10 sacks.  What makes that stat even sadder is the Bengals had 4 sacks against Seattle. So the 8 games after the opener the Defense only had 6 Sacks. That's .75 per a game which is 12 per a 16 game season but during the last three games we have had ten which is 3.3 per a game which per a 16 game pace is 53 sacks(rounded up). 
So what has changed?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Obviously a failing on our part to go ahead and hang the FO with a new rope.. That's all I have..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The defense as a whole has seen a big jump since letting go Preston Brown. Hard for the d-line to get constant pressure if the QB can immediately dump it off for a 12 yard gain in the middle of the field. When QBs have to hold on to the ball for an extra second or two that's when you see more opportunities for sacks. I don't know what the PFF scores would suggest for Pratt but he's been a decent upgrade from what I've seen. Dennard's return can't be overlooked, too. Pratt and Dennard are probably the best tacklers on the team right now.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 07:27 AM)Whodey614 Wrote: The defense as a whole has seen a big jump since letting go Preston Brown. Hard for the d-line to get constant pressure if the QB can immediately dump it off for a 12 yard gain in the middle of the field. When QBs have to hold on to the ball for an extra second or two that's when you see more opportunities for sacks. I don't know what the PFF scores would suggest for Pratt but he's been a decent upgrade from what I've seen. Dennard's return can't be overlooked, too. Pratt and Dennard are probably the best tacklers on the team right now.

I agree 100%. You also have to factor in that we are getting healthier at Dline, allowing for more rotation to keep guys fresh.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 10:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree 100%. You also have to factor in that we are getting healthier at Dline, allowing for more rotation to keep guys fresh.

I don't dispute in any way that the defense has improved of late. Pratt is looking better every week. Dennard is a way better tackler than some chumps we've had out there. He still pisses me off never getting his head turned. Dline finally healthy and so on. BUT

I also feel we need to temper our elation about just how much we've "really" improved and gauge that a bit against the level of competition we've been playing.

In other words - we still need A LOT of help in the offseason for our D to be good next season.
Reply/Quote
Maybe the Bengals don't need Chase Young after all Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 11:04 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't dispute in any way that the defense has improved of late. Pratt is looking better every week. Dennard is a way better tackler than some chumps we've had out there. He still pisses me off never getting his head turned. Dline finally healthy and so on. BUT

I also feel we need to temper our elation about just how much we've "really" improved and gauge that a bit against the level of competition we've been playing.

In other words - we still need A LOT of help in the offseason for our D to be good next season.

Oh, no question there's PLENTY of room for improvement. That said, the defense has really improved gradually since Baltimore. Playing the easier stretch of the season has helped it improve more, no doubt. 

However, you can't ignore Pratt's improvement, Dennard in run support, or the value of dline rotation. All of that has contributed to better overall performance as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Preston Brown and DreK off the field... better coverage all around.

Chase Young + FA corners/LBs and a decent draft and this defense may be in the 15-25 range.
Reply/Quote
A healthy Lawson has helped. He's had 8 QB hits in just 8 games, which is only 1 behind Hubbard and tied with Atkins.
Dunlap leads in that category with 14.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote