Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have jumped the shark on safe space
Article:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/24/technology/virtual-reality-sexual-assault/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool

Basically, a women says she was sexually assaulted.....in a virtual reality game. She goes on to talk about how emotionally taxing it has been on her because it is so life like. Now I have a couple issues here, the first being it was an avatar that wasn't even representative of her in physical looks. The other person could not actually "sexually assault" her but merely make grabbing motions at her. The game is a zombie shooter and isn't programmed to allow the avatars to actually interact in that way. My last issue is, if it is so life like how is death by zombies not more traumatizing considering that can actually happen in game?

There are people in the article asking for oversight and regulation on VR games because they are "so life like". In response the game developers have built a 1 foot "bubble" feature that will keep all other players 1 foot away when turned on. Sexual Assault isn't funny and it's horrible, but making these kind of claims bastardizes the real struggle.
(10-25-2016, 10:04 AM)Au165 Wrote: Article:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/24/technology/virtual-reality-sexual-assault/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool

Basically, a women says she was sexually assaulted.....in a virtual reality game. She goes on to talk about how emotionally taxing it has been on her because it is so life like. Now I have a couple issues here, the first being it was an avatar that wasn't even representative of her in physical looks. The other person could not actually "sexually assault" her but merely make grabbing motions at her. The game is a zombie shooter and isn't programmed to allow the avatars to actually interact in that way. My last issue is, if it is so life like how is death by zombies not more traumatizing considering that can actually happen in game?

There are people in the article asking for oversight and regulation on VR games because they are "so life like". In response the game developers have built a 1 foot "bubble" feature that will keep all other players 1 foot away when turned on. Sexual Assault isn't funny and it's horrible, but making these kind of claims bastardizes the real struggle.

Agree with you.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-25-2016, 10:04 AM)Au165 Wrote: Article:

Agree.

I would be willing to bet she (or he) is a person who does think sexual assault is funny and there is no real struggle. The world is full of those imbeciles. Some even pop up here from time to time.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(10-25-2016, 10:42 AM)xxlt Wrote: Agree.

I would be willing to bet she (or he) is a person who does think sexual assault is funny and there is no real struggle. The world is full of those imbeciles. Some even pop up here from time to time.

No, she has been sexually assaulted twice in real life (grouped). Which maybe that changes her perspective on it, however it doesn't change that what occurred in that game was not sexual assault.
crap, all those /flirt and /moans in warcraft are going to screw people up now
People suck
Au165
No, she has been sexually assaulted twice in real life (grouped). Which maybe that changes her perspective on it, however it doesn't change that what occurred in that game was not sexual assault.

Interesting, and again, I agree.

Of course, you are still going to get piling on from the people who think sexual assault is a joke, and from the people who think warning labels are a joke.

Personally, I don't play video games, but I see nothing wrong with a label that says there is graphic physical violence (there is in many games) or graphic sexual conduct, or content which could be construed as same, in the product. Problem solved. The game maker has told people to play at their own risk. There are similar warnings on amusement park rides and a billion other products (including, "Don't ride the vacuum cleaner naked," which was allegedly how someone who sued got some naughty bits caught in a vacuum cleaner).

You bring up a good point though - her experience colors her perception, as everyone's does. While it doesn't make her correct, it is a relevant point. Why so many people have a hard time understanding we all have different experience and perception is difficult to understand.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
This has nothing to do with safe spaces, but I agree.

The concept of a "virtual" assault is dumb. In online shooters, people have been "humping" dead opponents for years. It's not real. Maybe it can feel real because VR is designed to be realistic, but no one actually touched you. The responses are dumb "DESIGN THIS OUT!", ummm, what? At best you can create a system to flag players for misconduct and have game masters investigate it and block them for periods of time.

With regards to safe spaces, that concept jumped the shark long ago. I applaud the colleges that are fighting against this crap. I get giving a place for victims of assault and harassment to go to talk to someone (like a counselor or something) or just feel included. There's a difference between that and created segregated areas to congregate and baby people because different ideas offend them. You don't need trigger warnings for life. Life doesn't supply them. If someone is the victim of a sexual assault and they have to read a story in class that discusses it, they can do the old fashion thing of privately discussing it with the professor and, if need be, dean, to find an alternative assignment. I get that; reliving sexual assault can be awful for victims. I think it takes actually meeting survivors and seeing how it affects them to understand this.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Sooooooooooooooooo does this mean I can sue Bungie for all those times I was tea-bagged, er, sexually assaulted in Halo?

Mellow
(10-25-2016, 12:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This has nothing to do with safe spaces, but I agree.

They literally built in a "Bubble" option to keep people away from others in a virtual reality game......they call it a safe space. It was meant to be more of a joke about it, but yes the idea of triggers in a game an so on are very much in the realm of "safe spaces". By asking the community to design out "bad things" they are asking for a VR "Safe Space".
btw... this is how everyone looks in the game

[Image: c17784bb99e15caba0fac66ac1a969e448608fb4.png]

A floating helmet and two hands....

(10-25-2016, 12:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: They literally built in a "Bubble" option to keep people away from others in a virtual reality game......they call it a safe space. It was meant to be more of a joke about it, but yes the idea of triggers in a game an so on are very much in the realm of "safe spaces". By asking the community to design out "bad things" they are asking for a VR "Safe Space".

true, single player mode is your safe space. 

(10-25-2016, 12:52 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: btw... this is how everyone looks in the game

[Image: c17784bb99e15caba0fac66ac1a969e448608fb4.png]

A floating helmet and two hands....

O THE HUMANITY!
(10-25-2016, 12:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sooooooooooooooooo does this mean I can sue Bungie for all those times I was tea-bagged, er, sexually assaulted in Halo?

Mellow

Not if you said thank you after.  " Mellow"
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Indeed, Belamire told CNNMoney that the hand that stroked her felt "very lifelike. You can make the fingers move in really realistic ways."

- - - - - - - - -

How in the world does someone digitally interacting with your digital avatar have any feel at all? Does this game include like.. vibration modules that you strap onto your chest or something?

To use Phil's example, I didn't "feel" a couple thousand pound super soldier teabagging me, no matter how good the graphics got.

This does remind me of another VR game that people were complaining about when it first came out.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/28/i-watched-someone-commit-suicide-in-vr-and-it-freaked-me-out/

People really need to find something more constructive to complain about, or at least learn how to distinguish fantasy from real life.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(10-25-2016, 05:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Indeed, Belamire told CNNMoney that the hand that stroked her felt "very lifelike. You can make the fingers move in really realistic ways."

- - - - - - - - -

How in the world does someone digitally interacting with your digital avatar have any feel at all? Does this game include like.. vibration modules that you strap onto your chest or something?

To use Phil's example, I didn't "feel" a couple thousand pound super soldier teabagging me, no matter how good the graphics got.

This does remind me of another VR game that people were complaining about when it first came out.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/28/i-watched-someone-commit-suicide-in-vr-and-it-freaked-me-out/

People really need to find something more constructive to complain about, or at least learn how to distinguish fantasy from real life.

What?! How DARE you suggest I change the way I interact with the world. It is the WORLD that needs to change to accommodate ME!

Ninja
(10-26-2016, 12:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What?! How DARE you suggest I change the way I interact with the world. It is the WORLD that needs to change to accommodate ME!

Ninja

Pretty much. If that is sexual assault, then playing an FPS is murder, and playing anything where you are expected to die is suicide. Capture the flag? That's theft.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
hey guys. i think we can swear now! ASSHOLES!
stop teabagging!
People suck