Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
We have leader for RT in free agency....
(02-07-2024, 11:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wouldn't kill you for it but it's something that i don't even want to consider. That's what the Bengals have been doing. Get what they think is a "good enough" talent or draft someone to develop. It's not been working. They need to get serious and get it right this year. They need to build a wall first and foremost. They have good enough talent throughout the roster to compete and they have the QB. 

They have to get it through their thick heads that you need to pay to put guys in front of your franchise to protect him and give him time to do what he does. He's the one and only guy, active in the league today, that has beaten Mahomes and the Chiefs to get to the SB. They FAFO when Aaron Donald pulled the Lombardi right out of their hands and again the next year when Chris Jones ***** slapped Adeniji to end that season. 

Eluemunor falls into that category of "good", without being a top line FA but he's clearly better than who has played there the last 3 seasons. Volson is too volatile to keep giving him seasons to progress. He finally started to play better for a stretch late this year before reverting the last couple games. If they could pry a guy like Cushenberry away from Denver or Biadasz from Dallas, they could move Karras to LG and have clearly the best line Burrow has had in front of him here. Brown Jr - Karras - Cush/Bia - Cappa - Eluemunor and then pray like the dickens for health.

I'm not really interested in drafting Oline at all this year. Grab 2 seemingly affordable guys and use the picks for other positions. I'd rather do this than pay a big bag to Madubuike and put spackle on the Oline again. 

The Bengals probably wouldn't want to do this because it means moving Karras, but whatever. Keep doing stupid shit and falling short. 

Make every effort to sign Tee, not tag him (i know...this goes against what i've stated in the past) and front-load his contract so that you can redo Chase next year and back-load his, balancing out the 2 over the next 4 years or so. Get more speed at the RB position. Brown was a good start but they need to use him more. I wanted Gibbs so bad last year...

I was reading talk about the CB position but i didn't see too much talk about Awuzie. I think he's a must sign. They should be able to get him cheaper now due to the injury last year. 

I am normally in the boat of spend FA $'s, not draft capital on the OL, but this year's OL class is simply too good to pass on, imo.  

For the past few years, pass rushers have been overwhelming OL with athletic ability.  Jonah is actually a good example of this.  Tremendous technician, but just simply doesn't have the physical tools to stand up to guys like Garrett and Watt.  He gets clubbed like a baby seal.  The pendulum crept back the other way last year with Broderick Jones and seems to be in full swing this year.

To put things in perspective, I have 13 T's in this draft that I think are better prospects than Carman was coming out. Kids like Blake Fisher and Christian Jones who are currently ranked just outside the Top 100 could have very well been early Day 2 picks in previous drafts.  The C class is also quite strong.  

SI recently released an article regarding how much help QB's are getting and it's pretty frightening. He was 31st with a 41% perfectly covered rate when throwing to targets.  Joe needs help, both on the OL AND with the skill positions.  The current pattern of B/C tier OL FA's, pretending has beens that weren't that great to begin with 
are elite, and dreaming every single Day 3 pick at WR and RB will evolve into a plus starter needs to change.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe folks just don't trust Pollack to develop a draft pick. Opting for a player already developed. But he's ruined players developed elsewhere too. So damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2024, 03:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: Maybe folks just don't trust Pollack to develop a draft pick. Opting for a player already developed. But he's ruined players developed elsewhere too. So damned if we do, damned if we don't.

This is a terrible statement.  But it's only terrible because it just might be true.... 

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2024, 03:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: Maybe folks just don't trust Pollack to develop a draft pick. Opting for a player already developed. But he's ruined players developed elsewhere too. So damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Hopefully the new passing game coordinator (who previously was an assistant OL coach) can help with the OL schemes. I look at how Detroit had 6 OL for 1/3 of their plays and double and triple teamed Aaron Donald (who ended up with no sacks and only 1 solo tackle) and can't help but wonder how much is the players on the o-line and how much is scheme. Likewise, backs and TEs picking up pass rushers, screens, all of that might help cut down on pressures and Burrow taking hits. 
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 07:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It feels like the Bengals have a lot invested into the OL, but looking at positional spending, maybe the Bengals aren't as much as I thought.

Bengals 2024 cap spending by position rank (before FA/draft):
DL - 4th highest in the league
LB - 19th highest
DB - 27th highest
OL - 21st highest (this goes up to 19th in 2025, 14th in 2026)
TE - Tied for last
RB/FB - 11th highest
WR - 26th highest
QB - 15th highest (Burrow only $29.7 mill against the cap this year)

WR is going to jump up a lot depending on what they do with Chase (and Higgins) in the coming couple years
RB is going to likely go down after 2024 once Mixon hits FA next year.

Maybe the Bengals could (should?) worry less about high-cost positions like WR, DL, CB and put first priority on OL to start FA?
Maybe Onwenu would be considered "good enough" to spend that extra $$ to finally solidify the OL.
I don't think there's much of a shot of moving Volson out of LG though, which I know was mentioned elsewhere. After 2 years and actually seeing improvement across that time, LG feels pretty locked, to me.
They need to be top 10 O-line spending.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2024, 04:28 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The Bengals did have the 6th highest paid offensive line this year.  The reason they dont show up higher for 2024 is because Jonah is a free agent and no longer counts.  Depending on who they get to replace Jonah, they could jump right back up into the top 10 again.

6th! That can't be right.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2024, 05:20 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: They need to be top 10 O-line spending.

What we need is to be Top 10 O-Line production.... Spending hasnt really helped..     I blame pollack.  (Even though he might not be the sole cause)
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2024, 05:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: What we need is to be Top 10 O-Line production.... Spending hasnt really helped..     I blame pollack.  (Even though he might not be the sole cause)

I was about to say that what we need is a top (even) half of the league offensive line coach.

I recently asked why he hasn't been replaced and the response was because there's no one better, but it can't get much worse, so why not take a chance on a promising college coach or someone like that?
Reply/Quote
paying top 10 offensive line salaries

but getting bottom 12 o-line production

...I think there's a problem here

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
We’ve likely already agreed to a handshake deal if he’s talking like this. If you aren’t gonna be on the guys team this is kinda sick riding so I’m 96% sure he’ll be announced as a signing day 1 of FA
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2024, 09:32 PM)Housh Wrote: We’ve likely already agreed to a handshake deal if he’s talking like this. If you aren’t gonna be on the guys team this is kinda sick riding so I’m 96% sure he’ll be announced as a signing day 1 of FA

Sure seems like it.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2024, 06:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: paying top 10 offensive line salaries

but getting bottom 12 o-line production

...I think there's a problem here

They certainly didnt play like the 6th highest paid O-line in the NFL last year.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2024, 12:02 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sure seems like it.

We need a RT and Eluemunor could fill the void without breaking the bank.  He would be a solid addition.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2024, 12:32 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: We need a RT and Eluemunor could fill the void without breaking the bank.  He would be a solid addition.

Still need to draft some OL, but it would give us flexibility to go elsewhere if need (interior D) if that’s BPA.
Reply/Quote
Dude been posting all over his socials for what’s it’s worth last week or so. Protecting joe burrows name, saying burrow a top qb in nfl, now posting about how great Willie Anderson is, etc etc. if he could be our rt that really opens up the draft for us.
Reply/Quote
If this dude is an average NFL starter now, just imagine what Pollack can do with him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 02:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe I haven't invested enough time looking into the non-1st rounder OT guys, but I'm not overly confident they'd find an immediate starter at OT after 18.

What the Bengals cannot afford, IMO, is either:
1) Putting a rookie RT out there who is not ready to be solid-or-better from Game 1. We can't afford a learning curve throughout the year, as it could derail the season.

Learning curve? Bold of you to assume a Bengals rookie is healthy their first year. 

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2024, 11:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wouldn't kill you for it but it's something that i don't even want to consider. That's what the Bengals have been doing. Get what they think is a "good enough" talent or draft someone to develop. It's not been working. They need to get serious and get it right this year. They need to build a wall first and foremost. They have good enough talent throughout the roster to compete and they have the QB. 

They have to get it through their thick heads that you need to pay to put guys in front of your franchise to protect him and give him time to do what he does. He's the one and only guy, active in the league today, that has beaten Mahomes and the Chiefs to get to the SB. They FAFO when Aaron Donald pulled the Lombardi right out of their hands and again the next year when Chris Jones ***** slapped Adeniji to end that season. 

Eluemunor falls into that category of "good", without being a top line FA but he's clearly better than who has played there the last 3 seasons. Volson is too volatile to keep giving him seasons to progress. He finally started to play better for a stretch late this year before reverting the last couple games. If they could pry a guy like Cushenberry away from Denver or Biadasz from Dallas, they could move Karras to LG and have clearly the best line Burrow has had in front of him here. Brown Jr - Karras - Cush/Bia - Cappa - Eluemunor and then pray like the dickens for health.

I'm not really interested in drafting Oline at all this year. Grab 2 seemingly affordable guys and use the picks for other positions. I'd rather do this than pay a big bag to Madubuike and put spackle on the Oline again. 

The Bengals probably wouldn't want to do this because it means moving Karras, but whatever. Keep doing stupid shit and falling short. 

Make every effort to sign Tee, not tag him (i know...this goes against what i've stated in the past) and front-load his contract so that you can redo Chase next year and back-load his, balancing out the 2 over the next 4 years or so. Get more speed at the RB position. Brown was a good start but they need to use him more. I wanted Gibbs so bad last year...

I was reading talk about the CB position but i didn't see too much talk about Awuzie. I think he's a must sign. They should be able to get him cheaper now due to the injury last year. 

There isn't top shelf FA OL this year. If wanted to pay a mediocre starter $15 mil, we could keep Jonah. 

There is top shelf OT talent in the draft. Just because we busted on a guy 10 years ago, don't be afraid to take one. You build a wall with Sewell's or Tyrod Smith's, not Jonah or even Elumenor's. But having a mid-level bridge OT while a drafted RT settles in makes sense to me. Particilarly if it ends up being Mims/Guyton. 
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2024, 01:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: There isn't top shelf FA OL this year. If wanted to pay a mediocre starter $15 mil, we could keep Jonah. 

There is top shelf OT talent in the draft. Just because we busted on a guy 10 years ago, don't be afraid to take one. You build a wall with Sewell's or Tyrod Smith's, not Jonah or even Elumenor's. But having a mid-level bridge OT while a drafted RT settles in makes sense to me. Particilarly if it ends up being Mims/Guyton. 

Trent Brown is a top-5 RT and top-10 OT. I'd imagine Pollack could make him serviceable 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2024, 01:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Trent Brown is a top-5 RT and top-10 OT. I'd imagine Pollack could make him serviceable 

I'm not sure I'd trust Pollack to coach-up Willie Anderson to start on a pee-wee team.
Reply/Quote